luggage on train

gfargo53

we are taking the train from Schiphol airport to central station in Amsterdam.

we will have 4 pieces of luggage.question is where do we put the luggage

once we board the train is there a platform to place the luggage on in the

train car .or is there a special place to store it within eye sight

Trains from Schipol to Centraal are (all? mainly?) double-deck.

Very frequent, easy to board, effectively no step up from platform to train. 

But you certainly won't want to haul your bags up the stairs to the upper level.

There is luggage storage near the doors. To be sure that your bags don't disappear, find a lower-deck seat in view of them  Or volunteer one of your party to stand in view - it's only a 15 - 20 minute journey.

JB :classic_smile:

Trains from Schiphol to Centraal are not mainly double deck. There are various types of trains, including trains with very narrow doors and several steps to climb! Luckily for you there are also train types that are step free and that have a large open area to stand or sit close to your luggae. These trains are called Sprinter trains. Not because they are super fast trains, but because they run short distances, just like the sprint in athletics. The trains with narrow doors and steps and the Sprinter trains all leave from the same platform at Schiphol. The type of train is announced on the displays on the platforms. At the platform at Schiphol there will also be staff available to assist you. You can ask them when the next Sprinter train to the Central Station departs. There are several trains per hour, so it’s never a long wait.

For longer train journeys with luggage I usually take along a bicycle lock which I use either to tether my bags together or, if it's just one bag, to the frame of the luggage rack. Obviously since your journey is such a short one it's not worth your while on this occasion, but it might be useful for you to bear in mind for any future trip.

Absolutely stay with your  all luggage at all times! There is no special place for it. Best is to stay at the platforms near the exits on the collapsable chairs. But be alert during stops that nobody will try and take some of your possesions.

We just did this in May.  I had a carry-on size suitcase plus a large tote, My husband  24" bag and small tote.  Somehow on our trips from the ship to our hotel and from the hotel to the airport we were always able to find a spot for the luggage, always within sight and reach and usually right beside us.

It wasn't the problem I thought it would be and people were very kind about helping or not minding our luggage near them.  I purposely brought bags I knew I could lift if necessary, but it never was.