Seabourn Odyssey, SS Shadow or Silver Spirit for Greek Cruise

amgslg

I would love any input you could share on the ships and the itineraries as I would be new to both cruise lines and to Greece.  I have a few options that I'm having a hard time choosing between.  I have learned that the weather gets worse in this area as we progress from summer to November, so the earlier cruise seems better in that regard [will the seas be rough in late October/November?].  I have also heard that the dress code is more stringent on Silversea, although we are comfortable in jacket/tie and cute dress -- just don't want to pack a suit or cocktail dresses.  Thanks in advance for your assistance.

9/26/20 -- 7 night Seabourn Odyssey

Athens, Crete, Patmos, Cesme, Ephesus, Mykonos, Skiathos, Athens

10/3/20 -- 7 night Seabourn Odyssey

Athens, Ermoupolis, Rhodes, Fethiye, Bodrum, Santorini, Spetses, Athens

10/12/20 -- 7 night Silversea Shadow

Athens, Nafplion, Crete, Rhodes, Marmaris, Kusadasi, Santorini, Athens

10/29/20 -- 7 night Silversea Spirit

Athens, Mykonos, Kusadasi, Rhodes, Crete, Santorini, Nafplion, Athens

There is no need for suits on Silversea.  Jacket and slacks with necktie are fine on the few formal nights in most dining facilities.  One can always dine casual (inc. on formal nights) at the outdoor Grill.  No jacket required there, and some people wear only shorts.  The Spirit also has an always casual (very tasty) pizza restaurant outdoors open ~ 11 am - 11 pm.  Both outdoor facilities are generously endowed with heaters.  Shadow will be in fine shape after late 2019 dry dock.

Edited by Observer

What is the price per day on all of these cruises in a middle of the road standard balcony cabin?

Since both lines are booze inclusive and non tipping - with your expenses going towards laundry, spa treatments, hair salon and internet on Seabourn - you may well want to focus on this element of the value equation. Then there is the objective list of facilities on the ships which you may want; that list will be a subjective and personal matter.

Happy and healthy sailing!

Observer, you are right.  My experience in cruises in the Med in Silversea is that women, in particular, tend to wear dressy outfits on formal nights.  By dressy I mean blingy tops with skirts or pants, and cocktail dresses or little black dresses enhanced by blingy scarves, fashion jewelry, et al.  No longer do women wear long gowns or outright formal wear...except me, of course.  Not difficult to dress up a cute dress!!

Thank you all for your help -- I did see the Shadow was getting an extensive refurb  and thought that made it a more interesting option.

Is anyone here familiar with the weather in this area of the Mediterranean in October?  Will it be that bad?

Thank you everyone -- it always helps to go to the experts first!

15 hours ago, amgslg said:

Thank you all for your help -- I did see the Shadow was getting an extensive refurb  and thought that made it a more interesting option.

Is anyone here familiar with the weather in this area of the Mediterranean in October?  Will it be that bad?

Thank you everyone -- it always helps to go to the experts first!

We did a Venice to Genoa cruise last October and have a Venice back to Venice via Santorini in 6 weeks time and found the weather to be excellent. Not too hot during the daytime and not cold in the evening but certainly cooler. IMHO its far nicer weather than the summer, which can get silly hot. Nothing guaranteed of course, but beginning of October makes a great choice. 

• Like 1