SHOPPING CENTRES (MALLS) in NEW YORK

Tablelamp

Can anybody help?  I want to find some nice shops where they will sell classic clothes, not the trendy ones which will go out of fashion.    Taxi from the cruise port? Or public transport?   Suggestions please?   I’ve been to Sacks in Fifth Avenue but the dresses were in the thousands and quite outside my budget.  Also been to Macy’s but was not impressed.  We will be there for two & half days. There used to be an excursion to Woodbury Common but I see it is not listed as an excursion this September)

52 minutes ago, Tablelamp said:

Can anybody help?  I want to find some nice shops where they will sell classic clothes, not the trendy ones which will go out of fashion.    Taxi from the cruise port? Or public transport?   Suggestions please?   I’ve been to Sacks in Fifth Avenue but the dresses were in the thousands and quite outside my budget.  Also been to Macy’s but was not impressed.  We will be there for two & half days. There used to be an excursion to Woodbury Common but I see it is not listed as an excursion this September)

Good morning,have you tried posting in the ports/America section?(there are lots of helpful local people who I’m sure can answer your question).

3 minutes ago, Tablelamp said:

Good morning Steve,  Are you able to point me in the right direction?

No problem-go to the main menu(top right) select boards,then scroll down to ports then America from the country list,Steve.

Edited by steve333

4 minutes ago, steve333 said:

No problem-go to the main menu(top right) select boards,then scroll down to ports then America from the country list,Steve.

Try posting in the east coast departures section once you’ve navigated to America in ports,Steve.

Just now, steve333 said:

True but maybe Tablelamp is looking for particular New York clothing.

Agreed, although classic clothing to me would imply the sort of apparel that is just as easily found in UK up market department stores.  (eg Harvey Nicks)

Hopefully Tablelamp will give us an insight as to what exactly she is looking for.

• Like 1

Something very smart and suitable for a mature women,  but I have no wish to look like a frump.  I am just over 5’10 so it needs to be long.............    I just thought as we were in New York for three days, I would look at some nice shops.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Tablelamp said:

Something very smart and suitable for a mature women,  but I have no wish to look like a frump.  I am just over 5’10 so it needs to be long.............    I just thought as we were in New York for three days, I would look at some nice shops.

Did you manage to navigate to the American east coast departures forum to post your question ok?

7 minutes ago, Tablelamp said:

No, I got as far as boards and then nothing....

Ok,tap on boards then scroll all the way down to ports(past roll calls etc) then tap on America from the port category ,then east coast departures where you can post your question,Steve.

1 minute ago, tartanexile81 said:

I don't find the US port info quite as helpful as I do for European ports. It's aimed at those departing from US ports on the whole but here's a link to it anyway

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/317-east-coast-departures/

Thanks for putting a link up for Tablelamp-I do find if you ask a specific question for a specific port someone local will generally reply with the information you requested,Steve.

Have you check out the indoor outlet option nearby at "The Mills At Jersey Gardens" with free shuttle services to/from EWR Int'l Airport.  

Depending on where you are staying, it's a quick NJ Transit bus ride away from Times Square in midtown Manhattan, NYC, via the nearby Port Authority Bus Terminal.  Link is here - 

https://www.simon.com/mall/the-mills-at-jersey-gardens/travel-here

Are you familiar with Talbot’s? Classic contemporary (used to be frumpy, but better). Very nice, large store at 54th and Madison. Look them up online and see if that’s what you’re looking for. 

Macy’s has affordable lines, it just takes more work. 

On 8/13/2019 at 7:53 AM, Cruising Nomads said:

Try the Manhattan Mall 100w 33rd St. Near Macy's

There is no need to shop in a mall in Manhattan. The Manhattan Mall really doesn’t have shops suitable for what she’s looking for. Macy’s is the Worlds Largest Dept store. Their private label brand Charter Club sounds like what you are looking for. There is also the Inc. private label in Macy’s. 

Talbotts or Ann Taylor are two brands with their own stores in Manhattan that sell classic clothes. 

40 minutes ago, Cruising Nomads said:

She says she was not impressed with Macy's 

Macy's probably has what she's looking for, but the flow in the 34th Street store makes it complicated to find unless you know exactly (to potentially include maker) you're looking for.  But single brand stores such as Talbot's or Ann Taylor may be a better choice.