Travel with teenage son: Grand Suite or Extra Cabin?

On 8/13/2019 at 9:23 PM, Ourusualbeach said:

Just priced out the Aug 14 sailing on Ovation SAILING Alaska.

Grand Suite for 3 $11,200

Balcony and inside $6700

Easy  choice...the kid gets his own room.

When  booking it I would put you or your wife (whoever has the most C&A points) as the solo in the inside cabin as you will get double points then switch cabins on board.

Similar difference for Radience.

GS $9300

Balcony and inside $5900

Edited by ATC cruiser
Misread ops post

On 8/15/2019 at 12:46 AM, mjkacmom said:

He’s a teenager, the teen club is a place to come and go, not a kids club.

Yes I'm fully aware that the OP's son is 15 years old. I'm also fully aware that the OP's son may not like any of the activities that the Adventure Ocean club runs. It was just a suggestion to try and give the OP and his wife some alone time if they decide to have 1 cabin.

6 hours ago, Bloodgem said:

Yes I'm fully aware that the OP's son is 15 years old. I'm also fully aware that the OP's son may not like any of the activities that the Adventure Ocean club runs. It was just a suggestion to try and give the OP and his wife some alone time if they decide to have 1 cabin.

My point was, having had all 5 of my kids participate in the teen club, is that teens seem to come and go frequently to and from the cabin.

I still say let him bring a friend along the Single cost is pretty high and if he has a friend whose parents you know having their son on the cruise gives them a vacation and he has someone to hang out with, becomes a win-win-win

Looking at it from a teenager’s perspective, I would’ve been thrilled to have my own cabin at that age. 

If it’s cheaper, and you trust your teen enough to have his own cabin, I’d say go for it. I think it’s a win situation for everybody. 

On 8/13/2019 at 8:51 PM, cindivan said:

I can’t speak to what is more expensive as you will have to research options there. 

But as a mom (married almost 25 yrs) of three boys (now 22, 21 and 18) and having been blessed to do a lot of fun traveling and cruises together I will offer one piece of advice.   Once my boys started hitting puberty and even a little before I felt I needed to be much more cognizant of not wearing pjs/lounging clothes without a bra, etc around the house. Your family might be more comfortable with that, but it’s one thing to consider.    My boys never seemed to mind too much about walking around in boxers, lol, but I just felt it was weird for me to walk around like that.   So that may be a thing to consider for your wife. 

Maybe ask your son and wife about their privacy concerns. You are the dad and ..ummm....probably more comfortable being in minimal clothing around both. They might feel different. 

This is super weird.  Probably one of the strangest, least on topic responses I have read around here. 

Her son is 15! Surely the OP has decided if she feels she can go bra less around him. 

My kids see more boob at the pool then they do under my pjs.  I pay the mortgage around here. I’m not spending my life wearing a bra 24/7.

26 minutes ago, Lmm79 said:

This is super weird.  Probably one of the strangest, least on topic responses I have read around here. 

Her son is 15! Surely the OP has decided if she feels she can go bra less around him. 

My kids see more boob at the pool then they do under my pjs.  I pay the mortgage around here. I’m not spending my life wearing a bra 24/7.

I didn't think it was weird. I actually thought it was an interesting thought. His wife might want to let loose a little more on a cruise and he didn't think about it.

I would definitely go for the 2 cabins over the grand suite. Not sure if you work or are retired from an airline, but if so you are entitled to the interline rates.

On 8/16/2019 at 10:18 PM, ReneeFLL said:

I just looked at your avatar after enlarging it on my phone. Something tells me you are entitled to the interline rates. If you have any questions let me know. BTW, congrats on your 20th anniversary.

We are. We’ve only been intermittently lucky at finding cruises when interline rates apply though. We don’t pull the kiddo from school to travel so consequently we only travel when school is out and everyone else is traveling too. 😞

Connecting staterooms !!!

First a Stateroom for ONE will be an expense and at 15 he won’t be able to have his own place, but everyone will have a bed, two bathrooms. Find a 4th to go along. Grand mom would likely enjoy the trip.

Edited by dlwolf72

27 minutes ago, dlwolf72 said:

First a Stateroom for ONE will be an expense and at 15 he won’t be able to have his own place, but everyone will have a bed, two bathrooms. Find a 4th to go along. Grand mom would likely enjoy the trip.

And I’m  sure a 15 year old would love to bring a friend!

1 hour ago, dlwolf72 said:

On Royal a child may have their own room if it is beside (does not have to be connecting) or directly across the hall from the parents room. You must call to book this way as it can’t be booked this way on line. 

Last summer we went on an AK cruise in honor of our 21st wedding anniversary...brought along our 17 year old...and we all stayed in an oversized OV cabin.

People can talk about romance all they want but the fact is that if you are active in the ports...then you may not actually be in the mood for too much romance. You could be more tired and just ready for more sleep. Get your groove before and after the cruise...

I've never had issue with DS17 and PJs etc. We have a system for our stateroom...on Celebrity anyway where we can leave the bathroom and one wardrobe door open to create a changing room. Also, DS sleeps late. I don't have issue getting ready rather quickly and so often I don't worry about it too much...and we are out of the cabin for DS to deal with himself. Because of sleeping habits, we generally don't have bathroom conflicts.

I will say...if your DS15 is an only child...and this is speaking as an only child myself...and also as the mother of an only...he may or may not appreciate the alone time in the moment...but sometimes, the chats in bed while rehashing the day and/or discussing the up and coming day...good times. I wouldn't trade some of that chill time with my DS for anything. And as I am about to take DS overseas to go to college...I can tell you...very glad that we traveled in the togetherness of family more often than isolating ourselves from each other. But that's the way my family is. YMMV.