Tip Your Bartenders

clw1624

On 8/14/2019 at 10:03 PM, clw1624 said:

We still tip porters.

I agree- I tipped one a litte more than normal $10 for 3 bags and he put them right on the conveyor belt outside the terminal so I saw they got right on.

In terms of drinks, if someone goes to get me a drink I'll tip them, if it's at the bar then no. I'm already tipping in actuality perhaps $3 a drink to begin with if the pacakge is free and the gratuity is $120 (assuming 40 drinks for the week)

Like many, we have our favorite spots/bars, bartenders & visit the same locations throughout the cruise - for the great service (which we generally always receive @ the bars) - we include a Thank You Note & Tip in an envelope @ the end of the cruise.

Since the $2 is kinda an oddball currency is there any problem with it being recognized as legit?

We tip bartenders occasionally but frankly, I have a hard time with it because I have already paid $20/day in tips for what may be less than $100 paying list price (even though I have UBP) and I do think that is quite generous.  

It comes down to the whole “how much of the autotip do NCL staff get?” debate really.  Tipping $20 on $50 or $60 of booze is quite generous!  Having said that, there are times I feel uncomfortable not tipping - which in a way is wrong, because I have tipped and tipped very very well already.

1 hour ago, erdoran said:

Since the $2 is kinda an oddball currency is there any problem with it being recognized as legit?

Do they still print $2 bills?

According to the U.S. Treasury, the $2 bill remains in circulation even today, but is only issued based on the demand from banks and generally is not printed “as often as the others.” Still, $2 bills have clearly been on the decline. The last year the $2 bill was printed was back in 2006.

• Like 1

We haven't been on many cruises so far but the ones we have been on, we tip over and above the gratuities already charged.  We do the same when we go to all inclusive resorts.  Partly, it's because we do get better service, let's call it an incentive.  And partly it's because we both know these people work really hard with long hours away from their families for extended periods of time.  I think better service really boils down to HOW you treat the recipient.  Making a big production over your generosity usually doesn't work.  Discretion does.  Being gracious goes a long way, even if you don't tip.

• Like 1

On 8/15/2019 at 2:17 PM, adam_s_allen said:

I’d say there’s probably no more than 200 bartenders on the ship. If only half the people on a sailing have the drink package that’s $40,000 per day in gratuities going to 200 people.

I’m not saying not to tip additional, I’m just saying it’s not a small amount.

The key word in your post is "IF".

5 hours ago, All-ready2cruise said:

Do they still print $2 bills?

According to the U.S. Treasury, the $2 bill remains in circulation even today, but is only issued based on the demand from banks and generally is not printed “as often as the others.” Still, $2 bills have clearly been on the decline. The last year the $2 bill was printed was back in 2006.

They sure do.  All you ave to do is ask

3CDA15A7-89D2-4536-97DA-747ED69AA2D3.jpeg

On ‎8‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 6:24 AM, El_Rolfo said:

Isn't additional tipping like a "front-of-the-line pass"? You pay to get better service than the average Joe? This potentially could start a bidding war where, firstly, the ones who don't tip additionally get abysmal service and the ones tipping the MOST will even bypass the ones adding a dollar per drink? Hypothetically this could lead to that albeit in practice it doesn't happen as only few tip additionally? Based on my experience following the bar service I'd say 90% don't give additional tip, at least much less than the 75% figure mentioned here.

That's exactly what it is. I tip. If there are 200 people clamoring for a frozen drink at the pool bar, who do you think is going to get served first? The person holding their sail card and a discreetly folded bill. End of story.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NancyW12 said:

That's exactly what it is. I tip. If there are 200 people clamoring for a frozen drink at the pool bar, who do you think is going to get served first? The person holding their sail card and a discreetly folded bill. End of story.

In my opinion, a good bartender would serve the person who was there first. Everyone has paid the tips on the drink package. For the bartender to pass up a person who was there FIRST (obviously first, not like you both arrived at same time) to serve someone who had a "Discreetly folded bill" , if I was the person with the extra tip, that would make me put that bill back in my pocket.  I know other people tip extra in hopes the bartender will favor them over other people in line before them, but not me. I tip extra for good service, and good service means serving people in order.

• Like 2