Booked NCL Escape on Tuesday, rates dropped $1200 on Thursday

lovetoofli

Today NCL lowered the price on our September 29th sailing on Escape by $600 per person, two days after we booked. I realize rates go up and down but that’s an awfully big amount of money. NCL refused to refund the difference even though we just booked on Tuesday (48 hours ago). This was for a Haven Aft penthouse. We were finally offered a $300 total OBC. I guess when you book your cruise you take your chances 

• Thanks 1

That's why it's often best to stop looking after final if finding the price went down would suck. I personally am good with checking because it got me $50 obc on one cruise and I was able to upgrade from inside to oceanview on another. You could keep watch to see if you could upgrade your cabin, but they might not allow that now that you accepted the obc. 

• Like 1

I will assume that you booked this close to cruise time to get a better price. I believe that if you book inside the time limit for final payment you are stuck. You can't cancel without forfeiting all of your money.

They keep lowering the price to fill the ship; better to almost give away a cabin and hope to make it up in drinks and other extras.

If you book well outside of the final payment limit and have a good travel agent, they can usually get the deal without cancelling and rebooking to get the deal. But, when you are outside the final payment limit, you always have that option.

7 hours ago, Skipper305 said:

Lately they have been cutting Haven prices like crazy. Seems like they have decided to fill cabins by cutting the price rather than fulfilling bids. 

Haven prices are outrageous. Why pay $6,000-8,000 for an entry-level Haven suite when you can sail on MSC Yacht Club for $4,000 and get much more included?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, lovetoofli said:

Today NCL lowered the price on our September 29th sailing on Escape by $600 per person, two days after we booked. I realize rates go up and down but that’s an awfully big amount of money. NCL refused to refund the difference even though we just booked on Tuesday (48 hours ago). This was for a Haven Aft penthouse. We were finally offered a $300 total OBC. I guess when you book your cruise you take your chances 

Welcome to the world of cruising!! This does happen often and to those who are affected it sucks but it is life. If the rate had gone up would you call them and request they raise your rate as well? Be happy with the $300. That is a nice OBC and gives you plenty of play money, whether you use it for tours, on ship shopping or specialty dining, Enjoy the extra money.  

4 hours ago, DaCruiseBug said:

Haven prices are outrageous. Why pay $6,000-8,000 for an entry-level Haven suite when you can sail on MSC Yacht Club for $4,000 and get much more included?

she isn't asking about what line has the best rates. She is simply mentioning her experience with a price drop. What does MSC have to do with this sailing on NCL? HELLO!!!!!!!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, lovetoofli said:

Sometimes that happens. Look at it this way. If you booked the cruise on Tuesday for $1000 and NCL came back on Thursday and said your cruise went up to $2200 would you pay it?

Your lucky they offered you the $300 OBC, take it and run.

Edited by Laszlo

6 hours ago, DaCruiseBug said:

Entry level Haven is a spa suite...I've never seen them priced that high....at least on a 7 night.  Guess it depends on the ship.  

12 hours ago, SeaShark said:

Have you filed a claim?

https://www.ncl.com/best-price-guarantee

The OP already accepted the OBC of $300.  NCL makes it clear that the offer of OBC is a one-time deal and that they won't make any more adjustments.  Also if you read the terms and conditions of the guarantee, it says the guarantee offer is not combinable with a fare reduction.  Not sure how finding a lower price is different from a fare reduction.  Maybe a fare reduction is after final payment, and a lower price is prior.  

Restrictions: available to full individual tariff bookings with deposited cruise fare only; claims must be submitted at least 7 days prior to sailing; guarantee offer does not apply to government fees and taxes and/or fuel supplement (if applicable); lower rates must be publicly advertised fares available to the general public; guarantee offer is not combinable with an NCL fare reduction; guarantee offer excludes: rates from TV and Radio ads, group rates, qualified rates, membership programs, charters or other travel agent promotions not offered by Norwegian Cruise Line to the general public.

4 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Entry level Haven is a spa suite...I've never seen them priced that high....at least on a 7 night.  Guess it depends on the ship.  

Most of the 7 day sailings in a Haven spa suite are priced above $6,000. 

Below are the prices for the Escape in Jan/Feb. The cheapest date is the first week of Jan with the cheapest being a Haven Courtyard balcony cabin and the total price comes out to $5,688.

Untitled.png

56 minutes ago, DaCruiseBug said:

Most of the 7 day sailings in a Haven spa suite are priced above $6,000. 

Below are the prices for the Escape in Jan/Feb. The cheapest date is the first week of Jan with the cheapest being a Haven Courtyard balcony cabin and the total price comes out to $5,688.

Untitled.png

Guess I’ve just been lucky. Seems like those rates are higher than what I’ve seen on breakaway. Haven’t been on Escape. 

Found an Escape 7 day cruise out of NYC, mini suite for around $2k this past Spring. Booked a Haven Suite on the Breakaway for just under $4K sailing next month.  Got all the goody perks on both cruises.  

Not being able to get a good deal on NCL cruises vs any other cruise line is simply not true, if you just shop a little bit.

But, prices drop and rise on all cruise lines depending on time of year, ship sailed, etc.

OP....interested in what your TA can get done for you.

Edited by graphicguy

45 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Found an Escape 7 day cruise out of NYC, mini suite for around $2k this past Spring. Booked a Haven Suite on the Breakaway for just under $4K sailing next month.  Got all the goody perks on both cruises.  

Not being able to get a good deal on NCL cruises vs any other cruise line is simply not true, if you just shop a little bit.

But, prices drop and rise on all cruise lines depending on time of year, ship sailed, etc.

OP....interested in what your TA can get done for you.

$4K for a Haven Suite on the Breakaway...is that all-inclusive? All taxes, fees etc for 2 people?

I do see a Courtyard suite on the Breakaway available on Sept 1st...so just 2 weeks out (unreasonable for 95% of the population) that is $4,000 but that's just for the fare. Then you add on everything else and it's around $4,700. This seems to be the absolute lowest price and it's a couple weeks out, in the middle of hurricane season, and on their oldest ship with the Haven.

A last minute sailing on the MSC Seaside (much newer ship...only 1 years old) in the Yacht Club would save you about $1,000 and include a ton more such as everything in the mini-bar, more inclusive drinks package, thermal suite access etc.

Untitled.png

Edited by DaCruiseBug

Still haven’t heard back from NCL, Says they handle claims in the order received. I bet they have plenty. I think you’re right, accepting the $300 OBC excludes me. Either that or it was actually 49 hours or something else. Seems like the general offer is 25% of the difference in OBCs. (Or an upgrade to a 2 bedroom suite).

Usually we book nearly a year in advance. This was a last moment decision to book the only ship sailing out of NYC on our actual anniversary (no airfare needed)also in a dream cabin, aft penthouse. We saw that there were plenty of these H6 cabins left. Probably should have waited them out, but given our specific requirements we had to book. Can’t wait!!

@DaCruiseBug

Yes...all inclusive for two, sailing 9/1 on the Breakaway (which was just refurbished).  It was available when I booked last week.  Got all the goodies.  Plus, got nearly $700 in OBC which I could not get if I had booked any MSC cruise (who doesn't participate in the AMEX promos).  Got internet, SDP, Drink Package, $50 excursion credit/port, free laundry (Platinum Latitude perk), etc.

Just looked at MSC (I always do as I've sailed YC before).  Didn't see anything remotely close to a Haven (Yacht Club) type suite on the Armonia, which was the only ship sailing out of Miami for MSC close to that time.

Cheapest Yacht Club Balcony Suite I saw was for a 9/28 sailing on Seaside for $4,500.  Including drinks, but only 1 Specialty Dining credit (I got 5 with my Haven booking....3 for the included perk, and 2 for being Platinum Latitudes).

I have sailed both and while I enjoyed the Yacht Club, I would choose the Haven over the Yacht Club unless the YC was discounted significantly.

Edited by graphicguy