Norway on Crown in June??

jangor

My DH and I are considering a 14 day cruise to Norway on Crown Princess June 2020.  Any thoughts on the ship (we last sailed her 10 years ago) or the itinerary would be greatly appreciated.  We need to make a decision soon if we want to take advantage of the Landmark Sale promo.  Has anyone had experience with this promo?    Lots of questions, I know, but CC is the place to get answers!

We were on the cruise with Purple Traveller in June on the Sapphire Princess. We have also sailed 31 days on the Crown in 2016/2017 (LA to Valparaiso to Rio) and 10 days last Christmas to the Southern Caribbean.

The Norway cruise was a fantastic itinerary - do make sure you read the thread and compare the itineraries (in the near future, Norway will restrict access to some of the most beautiful fjords including Flaam and Gerainger) and we especially appreciated the covered pool area with expansive windows when it was cold outside.  IIRC the Crown doesn't but it was in excellent shape last Christmas.

We did a TA on the Crown in April in an aft obstructed oceanview cabin. We had a good cruise. The ship is in good condition. Lots of good outdoor deck areas for viewing the fjords. We did a similar itinerary with Holland America 3 years ago. Several early mornings to view sailing into the fjords.

We just did the Norwegian Fjords in early July on the Sapphire. It was a fantastic itinerary and it was one of our favorite cruises. Do not hesitate to book the itinerary.

We were most recently on the Crown in the fall of 2018 for a Transatlantic Crossing. The ship is in good shape. We thought the crew excellent. Food is subjective but we had no complaints. Crown Grill was top notch on the ship. We are sailing again on the Crown this fall in the Caribbean. You would not be disappointed in either the ship or the itinerary! 

Should you decide to do the Norway cruise, I posted information on the ship and private excursions and the ports we just DIYed it:

There is also a very informative thread on the Northern Europe & Baltic See Ports of Call board about planning a Norway cruise:

Hope these help you with the planning!

5 hours ago, patrickmoran said:

We did a TA on the Crown in April in an aft obstructed oceanview cabin. We had a good cruise. The ship is in good condition. Lots of good outdoor deck areas for viewing the fjords. We did a similar itinerary with Holland America 3 years ago. Several early mornings to view sailing into the fjords.

Thanks for sharing I will be on the Crown Princess soon.

Tony

15 hours ago, patrickmoran said:

Thank you.  I am looking forward to a real Promenade deck after several cruises on Royal/Regal.  

17 hours ago, capriccio said:

We were on the cruise with Purple Traveller in June on the Sapphire Princess. We have also sailed 31 days on the Crown in 2016/2017 (LA to Valparaiso to Rio) and 10 days last Christmas to the Southern Caribbean.

The Norway cruise was a fantastic itinerary - do make sure you read the thread and compare the itineraries (in the near future, Norway will restrict access to some of the most beautiful fjords including Flaam and Gerainger) and we especially appreciated the covered pool area with expansive windows when it was cold outside.  IIRC the Crown doesn't but it was in excellent shape last Christmas.

Thank you.  Flaam is on our itinerary, but not Gerainger.   I remember the covered pool from our last Crown voyage and how much we enjoyed it.

3 minutes ago, jangor said:

Thank you.  Flaam is on our itinerary, but not Gerainger.   I remember the covered pool from our last Crown voyage and how much we enjoyed it.

The Crown Princess doesn't have a covered pool.

10 hours ago, capriccio said:

Should you decide to do the Norway cruise, I posted information on the ship and private excursions and the ports we just DIYed it:

There is also a very informative thread on the Northern Europe & Baltic See Ports of Call board about planning a Norway cruise:

Hope these help you with the planning!

Great descriptions of  your excursions.  Thank you.  We will not be in Gerainger or North Cape, but will be in Olden and Andalsnes.  Other ports are the same.  We plan to call on Monday to book this one!

1 minute ago, jangor said:

Oops.  Meant to say Sapphire.

Yea - I love the Sapphire much more than the Crown. I like the covered pool area and there are 500 less passengers! It doesn't seem crowded at all. My Crown cruise seemed so crowded.

1 hour ago, jangor said:

Great descriptions of  your excursions.  Thank you.  We will not be in Gerainger or North Cape, but will be in Olden and Andalsnes.  Other ports are the same.  We plan to call on Monday to book this one!

Ooops!  We are going to North Cape.  Great information.  Thank you, thank you!

As the writer of the review that was linked by sfkaren (thanks 😊) I can highly recommend the Midnight Sun Norway cruise. I had a wonderful cruise and will go back again in the future. It is a pity that Geiranger is not on the itinerary as that was my favourite port but the other ports are all great. I also sailed on Crown Princess for 14 days in 2017 to the Baltics and enjoyed my cruise and time on Crown. 

There are 2 cruises to Norway in June that appeal to us.  The 14 day June 13th sailing on the Crown includes Flam, and the 16 day June 9th cruise on the Island includes Geiranger.  It appears it's one or the other in 2020!  Both include the North Cape..another item on our list.  Right now we're leaning towards Flam.

19 minutes ago, travellingnana said:

There are 2 cruises to Norway in June that appeal to us.  The 14 day June 13th sailing on the Crown includes Flam, and the 16 day June 9th cruise on the Island includes Geiranger.  It appears it's one or the other in 2020!  Both include the North Cape..another item on our list.  Right now we're leaning towards Flam.

Yes, we have decided on the June 13th, in part because of Landmark Sale which will give us 1000 OBC, but also because of Flaam.

3 minutes ago, jangor said:

Yes, we have decided on the June 13th, in part because of Landmark Sale which will give us 1000 OBC, but also because of Flaam.

I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time.  I've never met anyone who didn't!

We did similar itinerary to Land of Midnight Sun a ten years ago on the Crown Princess, loved it so much we have just done the Norwegian Fjords on Sapphire Princess. Really enjoyed both cruises, both were in "summer"  the first was very hot, shorts and sunhat weather, last week was cold and wet - fleece and waterproofs!

If you are considering the Midnight Sun- Flam, Tromso, Honisvag and Trondheim are some of my favourite ports.  The  North cape botanical gardens is beautiful.  Bergen is great for souvenirs.

Norway is expensive but we typically do our own tours, the scenery is spectacular - even our 12 year old appreciated it. 

If you are considering Norway and Scandinavia - again the ports are lovely, Oslo is a fascinating city.

We like Crown Princess (reminded us of  the first princess ship we sailed on - Golden Princess) 

• Like 1

On 7/9/20 Norway/Iceland cruise on the Island, with $1000 OBC from Landmark Sale.  I know I can use it for gratuities, but only for excursions that are booked on the ship, not ahead--- is this correct? thanks!

9 minutes ago, dbteach2 said:

On 7/9/20 Norway/Iceland cruise on the Island, with $1000 OBC from Landmark Sale.  I know I can use it for gratuities, but only for excursions that are booked on the ship, not ahead--- is this correct? thanks!

You can use it to book excursions before the cruise. And gratuities and excursions once on the ship.