Reserving Restaurants onboard for UDP

JoeFan

I know the phone reps are not the best resource.

I just had a scary conversation with a phone rep. She said when I chose UDP, I put in 6PM. So they chose the restaurant for me nightly at 6PM and I am stuck with this time.

Please tell me what she is crazy.

4 minutes ago, JoeFan said:

I just had a scary conversation with a phone rep. She said when I chose UDP, I put in 6PM. So they chose the restaurant for me nightly at 6PM and I am stuck with this time.

Unbelievable!

• Like 1

From my understanding Royal only schedules a random restaurant the first night and you reserve the rest while on board (either at a specialty restaurant or via the app if your ship supports it.) Even then, you can usually make changes or adjustments, depending the availability, after the fact so I wouldn't sweat it either way.

They might be confusing that with the dining room set timing which doesn't apply to the UDP.

Depending upon the ship you are sailing, a reservation may or may not be made for you for the first night.  When we sailed on Harmony in January, no reservation was made for us and that was fine with us as we wanted a particular restaurant. 

We were told that they were no longer making reservations for cruisers  because too many changed their reservations from what they were assigned to others and some restaurants seemed to be close to being  "sold out" because of the original reservations made by the ship.

I don't know if that was just for the cruise we were on or if it is now a policy, but when we were on Allure in June, we weren't told of any reservation, nor was there any card in our cabin telling us we had a reservation at any restaurant.  We just made our reservations for the week when we got onboard.

18 hours ago, JoeFan said:

She is wrong.  You might have your first night booked somewhere at 6, but you can change that once you are onboard.  My advice, before the cruise, write down where/when you’d like to eat (including seas day lunches).  Right away once onboard, take that list to one of the specialty restaurants, and make your reservations.  If, you ever decide you want to swap places or times, just call it in, or swing by a specialty restaurant to do this (we actually did this a couple of times, when we realized we loved Hooked!!! :))

Earlier this year a phone representative told me the same thing when I added the ultimate package for our daughter to our reservation at the last minute. The representative said I could only reserve for her for 6:00 pm and 9:00 pm for the entire week and she wouldn’t be able to eat with us unless we changed our reservation. I told her that wasn’t true and she kept arguing it was. I finally said whatever, and, of course, could change all our times onboard.

For added hilarity, she also said I had to buy the ultimate package for my 6 month old grandson. I talked her out of that after I kept telling her that he didn’t eat any solid food and that he would probably be in the nursery during dinner. 

• Haha 1