Carnival - Booked Direct- Price now dropped

wealwayswander

I booked with Carnival direct in July at a VFIP rate.  The price for a cabin one level up from me and the same level are both $150-$200 less online now.   But I am told they will not price match.  I sail Oct 14th so I can not cancel and re-book either.   Does this sound correct?   

It all depends on what fare type you booked under and what category of cabin you booked and are comparing to.  You have to compare the exact or higher category of cabins (for example, 4C to 4C or higher).  You can only price match non-Early-Saver fares up until the final payment date.    Did they provide an explanation to you?

11 minutes ago, dgadwa said:

I am past final payment date.    I do not think I would want an upgrade up one level as it would put me right under the galley..... maybe noisy?  

Upgrade in level does not mean going up a floor. It means going up a category type. Each cabin has a category based on how “good” it is. Ocean views are higher categories then insides, balconies are higher then ocean views. Midship is higher the forward. Empress deck is higher then riviera etc. so if you are doing price match on a early saver rate, you have to compare prices on the same category you booked. You can’t  compare suite prices to an interior.

• Like 1

A cabin under the galley is definitely noisy.  When cove balconies first came out, we booked two on the Dream.  I didn't even think about the fact that the cabins were under the galley.  Although the cabin I was in wasn't that bad, my sister's cabin was terrible.  I swear it sounded like people were bowling with huge pans all night.  

5 minutes ago, sc4125 said:

A cabin under the galley is definitely noisy.  When cove balconies first came out, we booked two on the Dream.  I didn't even think about the fact that the cabins were under the galley.  Although the cabin I was in wasn't that bad, my sister's cabin was terrible.  I swear it sounded like people were bowling with huge pans all night.  

That was EXACTLY our experiences on the Dream. NEVER AGAIN! The noises started around 1:30am and went on for 30 minutes, sometimes more. I didn't know that we'd booked a cabin under the galley until we got back. Cabin # 2375 cove balcony. Other than the noise it was perfect for us. 

2 minutes ago, Bookworm1985 said:

The category will show for sure when you are booking, or if you just do a room search when you “explore the ship” online. When you pull up the ship in question you can look at the deck plans. Each room has a different color and if you click on a room it will tell you the category (sorry, i suck at explaining things)

LOL. No you don't. I suck at asking convoluted questions. Thanks anyway. 

3 minutes ago, crzndeb said:

You can always look at deck plans..I use cruisedeckplans. You can see what is above and below, and the types of cabins on each deck.

Thank you. I practically live on cruisedeckplans when we are narrowing down our search while in the planning stages for our next cruise.

Assuming it is exactly the same category, the remaining question is what is allowed under the rate you booked.

I have never booked past final payment date so I don't know what rates are offered.  I do know if you book prior to final payment date only the Early Saver rate allows you to price match after that date.

I think a phone call to Carnival, asking if you can get the lower price, is in order.  If the answer is no then ask them why.

37 minutes ago, dgadwa said:

I think I am compairing apples to apples - ocean view room right next to mine is now $200 cheaper direct on Carnival.   Says it is the same category

Since you mentioned in your original post that they would not price match, I’m assuming you did call Carnival, right?

I have learned, if I don’t book ES, I just don’t look after final payment. To stressful. Check the lowest category balcony and see what the price is. You can always move up to a balcony if price is right for you. Also, look at all OV categories and check those prices. There might be some that aren’t under a noisy deck. If neither of these options work for you, then you are basically stuck. A lot of people book ES for this reason, but there is never a guarantee that prices will drop. Also, a lot don’t book ES because there are a lot of rules that apply to it.

4 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

The cabin capacity also has to match.  You can't match a quad cabin to a cabin for three or two.  EM

Actually, you can as long as you are matching the per person price for the first two occupants and it is the same category of cabin.

On 8/20/2019 at 11:38 AM, dgadwa said:

I think I am compairing apples to apples - ocean view room right next to mine is now $200 cheaper direct on Carnival.   Says it is the same category

Are you pricing it using the exact same VIFP rate?  If the rate code/type you booked under in July has since expired and is no longer available to you, they will not price match nor will they upgrade your cabin selection.  In that case cancelling and rebooking under a different VIFP rate is your only option.  I recently learned this the hard way myself....

Since you did not book ES rate, you are not allowed to price match after final payment.  However, if an upgraded room is the same price or cheaper than the room you are booked into, you may be able to get a free upgrade to that.  Not sure about what happens to promotional OBC given when initially booked but I would assume it would go away, just like price matching.