Electric Scooters

One of these?!?

Lord help us I hope not....

scooter.PNG.7b59ba3e53d08ad353b15bef2996818f.PNG

Banned by NCL https://www.ncl.com/prohibited-items

Seems RCCL and Carnival too IF they consider them the same as hover boards. Although RCCL says skateboards are allowed onboard but "must be stored in the guest’s stateroom and cannot be used onboard."

Anecdote/Personal Opinion to follow: I was in Nashville in May. I saw a group of about 10 young folks (early 20s) riding these. One young lady crashed hard. She was the last in the group. I was with colleagues and we all started to race to help but luckily her friends realized what had happened. To make it worse, when she crashed she landed in traffic! She could have easily been run over. I am in Washington, DC fairly often and I am amazed at how many people get on these things and try to weave through traffic, barrel through people walking on the sidewalk, ride them in the grass, etc. If people could follow the rules and use a modicum of courtesy my opinion may be different. I find them obnoxious, unnecessary and dangerous.

Edited by JennyB1977
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, JennyB1977 said:

One of these?!?

Lord help us I hope not....

scooter.PNG.7b59ba3e53d08ad353b15bef2996818f.PNG

LOL.  I'm assuming OP is thinking of for on shore.  I don't know if they can be carried on airplanes.  And here in Reno Lime brought them in without checking with the city and they weren't allowed so they were gone almost immediately.  I'm guessing not.

• Like 1

I'm not familiar with this site:

The policy on electric mobility scooters on-board depends on which cruise line you intend to travel with. ... Carnival Cruises  Mobility scooters are allowed, though they must be able to fit through a standard 21” stateroom doorway and stored in the passenger's room.Jul 1, 2013

Yes that is the type, mostly out of curiosity, but SO was tossing around the idea for when in port. We wouldn't dare try using them on the ship.  I'll be on Celebrity, we will likely leave them at home as I don't know that we would get enough use out of them to warrant taking up the space in the cabin.  Thanks for the responses. 

• Like 1

"I find them obnoxious, unnecessary and dangerous."

Agreed!  They have recently been introduced on the streets/sidewalks/bike lanes here and I'd like to meet the city counselors who thought they were a good idea!  Our emergency rooms have noticed a fairly big jump in visitors all because of accidents on these stupid things.

• Thanks 1

My opinion is if they are not be specifically banned, it would still be common sense to leave it at home.  Cruisers most likely will be unfamiliar with local rules, traffic requirements.  On the practical side, ports are usually crowded plus sidewalks can be an inappropriate surface for riding.   (Personally) I HATE being on the lookout for them while walking Denver sidewalks, having seen too many situations where some distracted rider has slammed into a pedestrian. Arrrrggg!  Please oh please no, not while on vacation!  

Edited by LoriPhil
  • Like 1

If you are thinking of using one, please check if they are legal where you are visiting. 

In the UK, at the moment, you are not allowed to ride an electric scooter on the road or on the pavement. You can only legally ride them on private land.  But a lot of people are willing to risk the  £300 fine just to use them.

• Like 1

I was amazed in Paris last year with the number of these RIGHT IN TRAFFIC.  I saw all sorts of people, well dressed business women in heels and a briefcase, business men, young adults.   

We were having lunch when an elderly woman and her daughter stopped at the cafe to come in for lunch.  I expressed amazement at her bravery - she asked if she could sit with us while her daughter got her lunch - and we completely enjoyed meeting them.  this woman was 80 !!! and navigated Paris by scooter.  

• Like 1