The “Carnivalization of Cunard” continues…

Island Venturer

I think the tables the OP is referring to are the two that appear outside the shop near the Queens Room that sells some sweets, chocs and souvenirs. They seem to have a few items, often reduced, from the shop. I have seen m and m things but have also seen fancy chocs and items such as t-shirts on the tables. There never seems to be that much on them. They are just by the door of the shop. They are not like the tat tables you find, thankfully less now, by the shopping arcade.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Camgirl said:

I think the tables the OP is referring to are the two that appear outside the shop near the Queens Room that sells some sweets, chocs and souvenirs. They seem to have a few items, often reduced, from the shop. I have seen m and m things but have also seen fancy chocs and items such as t-shirts on the tables. There never seems to be that much on them. They are just by the door of the shop. They are not like the tat tables you find, thankfully less now, by the shopping arcade.

Thanks, that makes more sense.

On 8/24/2019 at 11:41 AM, babs135 said:

One man's tat is another man's pride and joy.  Just saying 

I remember noticing several identical dresses on the atrium rack on QM2 a few years ago. They were black and white check, like gingham, but they were taffeta, a dressy fabric. I remember taking a picture that I sent to my BF saying "Who would wear this?" Well, a year later, I saw one of the young RADA women wearing one of those dresses with a red scarf around her neck. She looked great. So there you go, the dress would have looked ridiculous on me, but it was cute on her (and she got it at a price a struggling young actress could afford). 

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

50 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

. So there you go, the dress would have looked ridiculous on me, but it was cute on her (and she got it at a price a struggling young actress could afford). 

With age comes wisdom — hopefully enough to realize that a young woman can get away with many things which the experienced, mature woman knows enough to not touch with a barge pole.

On 8/23/2019 at 3:54 PM, K.S. said:

Is it settled that the new Cunarder will be named “Queen Anne”?

I think, today, Cunard IS about being a “time capsule” as you say. It’s what people want. People want to be able to experience the heyday of the ocean liner, the apex of which was the 1930’s before the Second World War brought everything crashing down and played a part in accelerating air travel. The QM2, for the most part, delivers on that desire. In time, even QE2’s “cool Britannia” design changed to become more traditional (except for, in my opinion, the Queens Room, with it’s really ugly “2001: A Space Odyssey” ceiling and support columns).

I do think that the style of the Britannia Club on QV is really elegant and is contemporary and yet still reminds of the great Deco style of bygone liners like ILE DE FRANCE, NORMANDIE, and the original QUEEN MARY at the same time.

P.S. I have to quibble with you about QE2 becoming the “greatest ship on the planet”. It’s just that somehow, it managed to keep going transatlantic, after ships like the S.S. FRANCE, and the Italian Line ships LEONARDO DA VINCI, MICHELANGELO and RAFFAELLO were pulled from service in the 1970’s. At least FRANCE lived on long as the S.S. NORWAY (and S.S. ROTTERDAM continued a successful long life as a cruise ship).

Yes, they were beautiful ocean liners, and I was lucky enough to sail on several of them. I think the QM2 has captured some of the best attributes of the Normandie and the Queen Mary, as I wrote in my blog a few years ago: https://gentlemansportion.com/2017/12/11/last-of-the-great-liners/

And let's enjoy her while we can -- the QM2 may be the last true ocean liner ever built.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, commodoredave said:

Yes, they were beautiful ocean liners, and I was lucky enough to sail on several of them. I think the QM2 has captured some of the best attributes of the Normandie and the Queen Mary, as I wrote in my blog a few years ago: https://gentlemansportion.com/2017/12/11/last-of-the-great-liners/

And let's enjoy her while we can -- the QM2 may be the last true ocean liner ever built.

Really nice blog post. Enjoyed reading.

On 8/20/2019 at 7:12 PM, Host Hattie said:

Thanks for reporting back, sorry to hear you found Queen Elizabeth such a disappointment.

I think it sounds lovely that crew can bring their families on board in port, I can't agree that it's not acceptable. If you disembarked in Southampton how did it affect you ?

I doubt the dining room staff or the cabin staff are allowed the same chance to invite families aboard.🥃🍷

21 hours ago, commodoredave said:

PS- Does anyone remember when ship tours were free? I took several free ones back in the old days and find it hard to believe that people will now gladly pay $100 or more for one.

These are FAR more extensive and go many more places than the old tours.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/20/2019 at 10:02 PM, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I was on the last Alaska cruise, and I don't remember anything special on the petits fours tray. Shame on you for eating the good chocolates before I got any!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For the record, and I realize long-time Cunard passengers already know this, I want to point out that "Carnivalization" isn't all bad. Cunard was broke when Carnival bought the company. Without Carnival, there would be no QM2 (or QV or QE) and Cunard might very well have gone out of business at the end of QE2's life. 

You are correct in saying, if it was not for Carnival, no Cunard. True, but  I think,  100%  they purchased Cunard for one reason, and one reason only, the world famous name of CUNARD. 🍷🥃

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MarkBearSF said:

These are FAR more extensive and go many more places than the old tours.

The free ones I went on went to the bridge, the galley/pantry/storage area, and behind the show production staging area. It took about one hour and 15 minutes. I'm sure the current tours include much more, but there are some areas of the ship that I don't want to see at any price (such as the morgue!)😉

4 hours ago, luckymal said:

You are correct in saying, if it was not for Carnival, no Cunard. True, but  I think,  100%  they purchased Cunard for one reason, and one reason only, the world famous name of CUNARD. 🍷🥃

a

9 hours ago, luckymal said:

Yes, but they realize what they bought, and they are now custodians of the Cunard legacy and the Cunard brand.  To debase it would be to devalue the asset they bought.  The trick for Carnival is to honor the legacy and keep the brand fresh and relevant, and do both while running a profitable line.  The fact that I am excited like a 4 year old on Christmas eve for my upcoming (#4) crossing on QM2 more than 3 months away says that, at least in my book, they are succeeding. 

• Like 1

Carnival is both a blessing and a curse. Yes, without Carnival money, QM2 wouldn’t have been built etc., and all are happy about that. But it doesn’t give Carnival a free lifetime pass, either.

16 hours ago, luckymal said:

Surely a more estimable motive than many.

14 hours ago, commodoredave said:

The free ones I went on went to the bridge, the galley/pantry/storage area, and behind the show production staging area. It took about one hour and 15 minutes. I'm sure the current tours include much more, but there are some areas of the ship that I don't want to see at any price (such as the morgue!)😉

The one I went on lasted nearly four hours - and, mercifully didn't include the morgue, though I think we did see or pass a frozen food store that may be the same thing. But we saw practically everything you can think of, and met the heads of the different departments, with as much time as we needed to ask questions. We also got photos of ourselves with the theatre people, and with the captain on the bridge, drinks, nibbles, I think a cup of tea, and a Cunard apron as a momento. Yes, it was $120, but I felt we got our money's worth.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

The one I went on lasted nearly four hours - and, mercifully didn't include the morgue, though I think we did see or pass a frozen food store that may be the same thing. But we saw practically everything you can think of, and met the heads of the different departments, with as much time as we needed to ask questions. We also got photos of ourselves with the theatre people, and with the captain on the bridge, drinks, nibbles, I think a cup of tea, and a Cunard apron as a momento. Yes, it was $120, but I felt we got our money's worth.

My wife went rather pale when I told her how much that tour was. She found it as fascinating as I did, and thought it was excellent value for money. 

There was at least one opportunity to visit the galley for free on our cruise for anyone who didn't want the whole works.

2 hours ago, exlondoner said:

We also thought the tour was well worth it. My only disappointment was that we couldn't take pictures. I took a behind-the-scenes tour on a HAL ship and they did let us take pictures. That ship didn't have a morgue. If they have to, they can store a body in the cold room used for flowers. (Can't put it in a food store for health regulations.)