Overnight in Quebec City

That will depend upon where your ship docks.  Lets assume it docks at the cruise terminal.  The information I list below is what I have put together for our trip this fall.  I have copied it from many sources--so, I apologize to the many authors. Other people will jump on here and tell you about the cathedral and other sites.  So, I will list a few of the favorites I plan to visit. 

The old city is eminently walkable.  The streets a narrow, winding, and often crowded. Walking is the best way to get around.  However, those that have mobility issues will find the cobblestones and the raised doorway hard to manage.   An inexpensive way to navigate in the Old Town and to move between Upper and Lower Town is to take a ride on the Écolobus; the fare is CAD 2.00.$ per person, to be paid cash (no change given).

There is also a  "Funiculaire" is a cheap and easy way to move between the Upper and Lower town. The Funiculaire is the only one of its kind in North America, 

You can get to Terasse Dufferin [a pedestrian boardwalk in upper town] easily from the cruise ship. As you get off, go into lower town and find the funiculaire. A stroll along the boardwalk gives you a great view of the St. Lawrence River from several vantage points. Great for picture taking. if not you can pick a bench and enjoy a nice peaceful conversation with whomever you are with. Night or day the Terrasse Dufferin does not disappoint.

The Quebec City Ferry is not too far from the dock. [depends on your ability to walk]-- One of Québec’s best-kept secrets and one of the most spectacular view of the Old Town. Located at the heart of Old Québec City, the ride (one-way) takes about 12 minutes. During summertime, discover the marked bike paths located on both sides of the shore: Corridor du Littoral (Quebec City) and Parcours des Anses (Lévis). In winter, the mouvement of the ice on the St. Lawrence River is truly impressing.

Finally, look at the attached picture.  You can see there is a large elevation difference between upper and lower town [where ships dock].  This is the view from the other side of the ferry.  You can see the location of the funicular in the picture.  

The more I have researched about Quebec City the more excited I have become.  Have a great cruise. 

quebec pic.png

Edited by DragonOfTheSeas
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, DragonOfTheSeas said:

An inexpensive way to navigate in the Old Town and to move between Upper and Lower Town is to take a ride on the Écolobus; the fare is CAD 2.00.$ per person, to be paid cash (no change given).

From what I have read, the Ecolobus does not run any longer. 

On ‎8‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 4:09 PM, Turtles06 said:

From what I have read, the Ecolobus does not run any longer. 

Replaced by Bus Route #11. C$3.50 per ride.  Bus stop is right by the dock. Only bummer is you can't buy a day pass (C$8.60) at the dock or from the bus driver and must first get into town to get one at a designated service counter. Still cheaper than HOHO.

On our cruise from Quebec to Fort Lauderdale in late October, we stayed at the Hotel Le Germain Dominion Quebec City.  We arrived two days early to see the sites and, trust me...  that is not enough!!  This hotel is reasonably priced, rooms are nice, very centrally located to local transportation and easy walking distance to many restaurants.  Most of all...  it is literally a little over 100 meters from the front door to the front of the cruise terminal entrance!!  It was windy and spitting rain on embarkation, but the short walk was not bad at all.

• Like 2