Breakfast in the Dining Room

tarheelmjfan

Has anyone ever requested & received a table for 2 for breakfast in the dining room? Was the wait staff receptive to the request? We mostly eat room service breakfast, other than an occasional visit to waffle bar. On debarkation day, we went to the dining room. We were seated at a table for 6, & along with the other couple, were forced to endure the 3rd couple talking about how horrible their cruise had been. After they got through bashing Century, they moved on to tell us all about their extremely disappointing Millennium cruise. :rolleyes: We've been seated at a table for 2 at lunch, upon our request. We'd like to have breakfast in the dining room more often, but aren't anxious to take our chances on tablemates again. :o Thanks :)

Has anyone ever requested & received a table for 2 for breakfast in the dining room? Was the wait staff receptive to the request? We mostly eat room service breakfast, other than an occasional visit to waffle bar. On debarkation day, we went to the dining room. We were seated at a table for 6, & along with the other couple, were forced to endure the 3rd couple talking about how horrible their cruise had been. After they got through bashing Century, they moved on to tell us all about their extremely disappointing Millennium cruise. :rolleyes: We've been seated at a table for 2 at lunch, upon our request. We'd like to have breakfast in the dining room more often, but aren't anxious to take our chances on tablemates again. :o Thanks :)

Yes. Insist on it. They should give it to you.

I have never had them refuse a request such as that, lunch or dinner. I know what you mean..... can't stand to sit with complainers, when it happens I stay only as long as necessary and as I leave I tell them I am sorry they had such a S_____ time, but I had a blast and maybe they should have hung out with us.:D :D :D :D

I wish my DH and I had thought about asking for that on our last cruise! We were seated with a group of 8, 3 who were severely handicapped. I know I sound horrible, but it really put me off my breakfast. I couldn't wait to finish and get out of there. I don't understand why they placed us there - it was very uncomfortable, but I didn't want to ask to be switched, either. So lesson learned - next time we will ask to be seated alone. And please, this is not an affront to the handicapped, it is me. I just have a hard time with it and find it upsetting.

breakfast & lunch in the d/r are open seating --they fillup tables as you come in . you can always ask to have a table for two--some are not the best locations but sometimes it's just nice not to have to share & service goes much faster for just two.....we also ask if we'd prefer a window etc (but those are not for two) ...usually they are very accomodating. happily on our next cruise we will sit with folks we met on another cruise so we are looking forward to their company at dinner. Overall we have had good luck with table arrangements. meeting some very interesting folks--but on a long trip it could be unpleasant if you do not like your table mates... we have only had to change once or twice...It is your vacation so why be unhappy...The maitre'd will be happy to assist you

Tammy, normally I sail solo so I always enjoy the company of others

but I have also seen couples at 4 tops on their own.

You shouldn't have a problem requesting that for breakfast or lunch.

And there was a time I would have preferred to eat on my own,

talk about a grouchy breakfast table:rolleyes: :( I should have said something

to my waiter and just moved.

You live and learn. I have been on enough cruises now to know~

they really do their best to accomadate those type of requests.

Oh, when I said grouchy, one of the wives had nothing better to do

than critisize my breakfast and what I chose to eat. The hubby started

yelling at her......it was not a pleasant table.

Have seen folks get tables for two.

Personally speaking, we've met some delightful folks at breakfast, and were able to chat with them from time to time on the rest of the cruise.

Yep, we've been seated with some folks who barely spoke English, and we were as "ignorant" in their language. But none were obnoxious.

Hi,

I usually love it to mingle and meet people from different countrys. I never asked for a table for two or or that I want to sit by myself. As I said I love to mingle but some mornings I just don´t want to talk, all I want is my breakfast and my book- so next time I will ask for small table and that I wanna sit by myself. I met interessting people at the breakfast table, only one time I remember when I said from where I am ( germany) an elderly couple stoped talking to my - they just answered, they never talk to germans. It was okay for me though the other were really nice people. So one really can have funny experiences in a open seating.

Greetings

Michael

...I know what you mean..... can't stand to sit with complainers, when it happens I stay only as long as necessary and as I leave I tell them I am sorry they had such a S_____ time, but I had a blast and maybe they should have hung out with us.:D :D :D

I have a different approach about complainers. Make them gobble down their meal and leave.

On one Celebrity cruise, a couple that loved HAL complained their cabin was so cold they had to take the towels from the bathroom to use as blankets. My question was "Did you call your cabin attendant to complain about the temperature and ask for extra blankets instead of using towels?" An angry stare and then they quickly ate and left the table.

On another cruise, a person complained about their dinner entree on the previous evening. The question was, "Did you ask your waiter to replace it with another selection?"

Sometimes, it pays to listen to the complainer and then ask the most obvious question. This may completely disarm the complainer.

Les

I just go to the open seatings to talk.

Someone always knows something or may have seen something you missed.

The other things I let go by.

Thinking about it....

If someone bothered me that much I would just look at my watch and say I had to meet the wife or there was an onboard game I did not want to miss and leave.

Hi,

I met interessting people at the breakfast table, only one time I remember when I said from where I am ( germany) an elderly couple stoped talking to my - they just answered, they never talk to germans. Greetings

Michael

Germancruiser, I know what you mean. Although we love meeting people from all over the world, some don't like meeting us. We are Canadian and on our last cruise it happened twice that our table mates snubbed us once they found out that we were Canadian. By the end of the cruise we were asking to sit alone.

Happy sailing.

Connie

Thanks everyone! :) We will now ask for a table for 2, w/o hesitation.

Lois,

Don't you just love it when someone feels compelled to share their infinite wisdom on how you should lead your life? How did you ever make it to this point in your life, w/o her much needed advice? :rolleyes:

Michael & Connie,

I'm sorry that there's so many close minded people in this world. :( Noone should have to defend where they're from, or be treated badly because of it. We enjoy sitting near someone from another country. We love hearing about other's cultures. It does help, when they speak English. We really need to learn more than one language. :o Sadly, the obnoxious couple we encountered were Americans. This was one time that I really wished they spoke a language we didn't understand. :p

Les,

We & the other really nice couple from Jacksonville tried our best to deter their negativity by talking about how much we had enjoyed the cruise. After that didn't work, we attempted to talk amongst ourselves. Discussing where each couple had cruised to & where we wanted to go in the future. That just backfired on us. We then got to hear why that wasn't a good choice in destination, or how horrible the ship sailing that route is. Unfortunately, no matter how hard you try some people just don't get it.

Connie, sorry to hear the same happend to you- I travel to meet people from different countrys just to mention one reason. I were once on german( just germans) ship. Even I met nice people there too, it is much more interessting and on american or international ships- and I can practice my english- too. Not able to speak it here in germany- so those boards help to stay in touch with the language, too.,

tarheelmjfan

interessting name though- I try to get what it means. Hehe. I agree it´s bad to see that some people are still that narrow minded- but 99 % of the people I met on cruise ships are very open minded and interessted in meeting foreign people as well. I made so many friends on board of cruise ships and I am still in touch with some of them. A few became really close friends of mine.

Happy cruising!

Greetings

Michael

Kenneth & Tammy,

DH & I have requested table for 2 for dinner on a few cruises, and had no problem getting one. Usually, we have breakfast up in buffet area and find small table out on deck somewhere. There is plenty of other time to meet others on the ship- on excursions, by the pool, open seating lunch, etc. Fortunately, we have been very lucky with tablemates when we have been on tables for 8. Know what you mean though about complainers- always seem to be a few that see the glass as "half empty" all the time....... Our cruises have all been terrific. The few days that were less than perfect (droning tour guides, rain, complaining passengers) provide lots of laughs as we reminisce about them!

Archived