Pros & Cons of using Travel Agent vs Viking booking agent?

NavyCruiser

Any advantages Pros/Cons of using TA?

We've always used TA for our 30+ ocean cruises, but not sure about advantages, since there were no further discounts nor perks provided by our TA.  Should I look for another TA for Viking river ?

Thanks,

We have done 3 Avalon cruises and used the same online TA.  She gave us a 15% discount off the price of the cruise (in addition to Avalon discounts), so for us it was well worth it.  Not sure if you can get the same discount on a Viking cruise.

Not all TAs are the same - neither are all Viking Agents. It would be nice if you can get a recommendation (we can’t do that on CC), but you’ll see from posts here folks have had good and not so good service from both TAs and VAs. We were fortunate that we ran into an old friend 2 years ago on the Cities of Light cruise who highly recommended their Viking agent. She was right. As we only cruise Viking now (river and ocean), we use him and are satisfied with service on all fronts. 

Whoever  you use, never be bashful about asking - even asking again if you don’t like the first answer saying “are you sure?” “can you check again?”

River or Ocean, doesn’t make a difference.

Viking limits the amount of OBC travel agents can offer. It is taken out of the TAs commission.  So you could spend thousands on a cruise but the max you could get in OBC would be a few hundred (I think it’s capped at 500, but again it’s coming out of your TAs pocket). I believe you only have 60 days after your deposit to transfer your booking but double check. 

Once you link your reservation with a ta, you are no longer allowed to work with Viking directly.  Personally, I don’t see the need. I just keep calling Viking until I find someone able to answer my questions. I can’t promise everyone at Viking is great but I like knowing I can advocate for myself.  

Edited by hehny

3 hours ago, hehny said:

River or Ocean, doesn’t make a difference.

Viking limits the amount of OBC travel agents can offer. It is taken out of the TAs commission.  So you could spend thousands on a cruise but the max you could get in OBC would be a few hundred (I think it’s capped at 500, but again it’s coming out of your TAs pocket). I believe you only have 60 days after your deposit to transfer your booking but double check. 

Once you link your reservation with a ta, you are no longer allowed to work with Viking directly.  Personally, I don’t see the need. I just keep calling Viking until I find someone able to answer my questions. I can’t promise everyone at Viking is great but I like knowing I can advocate for myself.  

Does Viking only allow the TA discount to be given as OBC?  Discounts we have received from our TA were deducted from her commission and applied directly to the Avalon invoice; at 15% of the cost it was a great discount!

9 hours ago, KathyK13 said:

Does Viking only allow the TA discount to be given as OBC?  Discounts we have received from our TA were deducted from her commission and applied directly to the Avalon invoice; at 15% of the cost it was a great discount!

Yes, Viking only allows OBC. TAs can not lower the cruise fare. 

39 minutes ago, Squawkman said:

Can a TA delay the final payment until 6 months before embarkation?

If so, can the TA then offer additional OBC if you want to pay in full within the month or next month?

There was a lot of backlash to Vikings requirement pay in full 12 months in advance. They are becoming more lenient.  If you ask, they will usually extend it.   We have dealt directly with Viking several times and never had to pay in full a year before.  

As I said, there is a max amount of OBC TAs can offer. That doesn’t mean they will offer it.  What they choose to offer is up to them.  They can’t extend it simply because you pay in full immediately. There was a big box co that used to offer discounts and additional OBC on Viking and you can no longer book with them... Viking found out and cut them off.  More so than any other cruise line they are very strict as to what a ta can offer.  That’s why it is so minimal and the question of using a ta, is more a personal choice than an automatic monetary advantage. By the time you’ve paid what could be tens of thousands, a few hundred on board, while appreciated, is not going to make a huge difference.  

16 minutes ago, hehny said:

the question of using a ta, is more a personal choice than an automatic monetary advantage. By the time you’ve paid what could be tens of thousands, a few hundred on board, while appreciated, is not going to make a huge difference.  

Hehny -

I totally agree. For the past 2 years, I've been using the same Viking agent and believe I have been getting extra perks a TA couldn't do. In addition, I have one person I can go to for all Viking issues and questions - and have been satisfied with how everything has been handled.

37 minutes ago, Squawkman said:

Hehny -

I totally agree. For the past 2 years, I've been using the same Viking agent and believe I have been getting extra perks a TA couldn't do. In addition, I have one person I can go to for all Viking issues and questions - and have been satisfied with how everything has been handled.

Can you pls further explain what "extra perks" the Viking agent can give us...?

Thanks,

48 minutes ago, NavyCruiser said:

Thanks,

We received free travel insurance and $500 OBC from our TA.  Last time we used a different TA and received a $400 Visa gift card in the mail after we returned from the cruise.  The first time we booked with Viking and no perks.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NavyCruiser said:

Thanks,

As I said earlier, you have to ask - and being a good customer figures heavily. Perks will vary depending on the cruise and probably other factors. One example was a choice of delaying final payment vs. paying sooner and getting OBC. I also view it as extra "insurance" in case minor mishaps happen on board as it's easier to rectify things with a Viking rep you use for booking.

I just priced and booked a Viking river cruise. Had quotes from a Viking agent and 3 TAs.

Let me just say that they were WIDELY different and the Viking agent’s price was highest. We are talking several hundreds of $$$ apart.

• Like 1

I should add my statements apply to the American market.  You can get far better discounts in the UK, where they are more aggressively targeting customers and the same rules don’t apply. 

Edited by hehny

On 8/28/2019 at 5:43 PM, NavyCruiser said:

Any advantages Pros/Cons of using TA?

We've always used TA for our 30+ ocean cruises, but not sure about advantages, since there were no further discounts nor perks provided by our TA.  Should I look for another TA for Viking river ?

Thanks,

We have used the same TA for 30 plus years...30 plus cruises and other parts of every trip....they are invaluable....Sounds like you do not need to switch. 

Thanks for all your inputs.

Just called our TA to transfer booking over from Viking, he gave us an extra $500 off our booking (not OBC), on top of Viking's summer sale discount, past passenger discount,  & free international air.

Well worth it to check...

Edited by NavyCruiser
  • Like 1

Navy

Thats interesting as our TA has provided us with the maximum OBC each time we have booked or transferred a booking but never a lower price. 

Perhaps Viking is having to change their policies in order to fill the ships. 

Edited by Clay Clayton