Just booked my cheapest NCL cruise ever

PortFees45

8 minutes ago, PortFees45 said:

"If you have to buy 4 in order to do that then there is the financial benefit."

No, there is not. I don't know how else to explain this to you, so I'm not going to try anymore. 

If you want to explain exactly where my numbers in that post (which clearly show a $250 saving) are incorrect then I would be very interested to read it.

I am honestly trying to help you (or any others reading this) save money here

Edited by KeithJenner

9 minutes ago, PortFees45 said:

No, there is not. I don't know how else to explain this to you, so I'm not going to try anymore. 

You are 100% wrong.

21 minutes ago, KeithJenner said:

Let's illustrate this with some numbers.

If I have no vouchers on my account and then buy two of them, I will have $500 of vouchers for $250 (a saving of $250). Or, if I buy 4 then I will have $1000 of vouchers for $500.

Let's say I then book two cruises at a cost of $1,000 each. If I had bought just two vouchers then I would have to pay $1,500 for those two cruises. Plus the $250 I paid for the vouchers means that the two cruises cost me $1,750 in total.

Alternatively, if I had bought 4 vouchers then I would have to pay $1,000 for the two cruises, plus the $500 I paid for the vouchers means a total price of $1,500. That is $250 less, and therefore there was a financial incentive for buying 4 vouchers at the time.

To be clear, I am not saying that there is any particular benefit in buying 4 vouchers over 2, but that there is certainly a benefit in making sure you have enough vouchers to cover your future bookings. If you have to buy 4 in order to do that then there is the financial benefit.

The problem with this example is that if there was enough time between the two sailings you would use two CN for the first and then buy 2 more CN when you are on the first sailing to be used on the second sailing. So you really don't need 4, just two however if the sailings were b2b I am not sure if you could use 2 then buy 2 and book while onboard. So that's a matter of convenience.

Now as long as NCL only lets you use 2 on any one cabin as an individual, then you don't really ever need to have more than 2, but if you sail a lot you may travel with family and need more than 1 cabin and you will be outta luck, or you may do b2b and need more than 2. and then have to buy in the aftermarket, or there may come a time when NCL says you can use 3/4 in a balcony or above. I stock up, the price is same 2 or more and I know i'm gonna use them.

31 minutes ago, CookieShip said:

Does the CN also apply to the taxes on a booking or other prepay services?

Just wondering how the overage works if they are running a double up promo and you do book a very cheap fare. 

I know it can go to cover the taxes/gov't fees, not certain about any prepaid gratuities/service charges or gratuities on perks, but the cheapest sailaway rates do not include any Free At Sea perks so therefore no perk gratuities.  I'm sure other will answer.

1 hour ago, bones774 said:

The problem with this example is that if there was enough time between the two sailings you would use two CN for the first and then buy 2 more CN when you are on the first sailing to be used on the second sailing. So you really don't need 4, just two however if the sailings were b2b I am not sure if you could use 2 then buy 2 and book while onboard. So that's a matter of convenience.

Now as long as NCL only lets you use 2 on any one cabin as an individual, then you don't really ever need to have more than 2, but if you sail a lot you may travel with family and need more than 1 cabin and you will be outta luck, or you may do b2b and need more than 2. and then have to buy in the aftermarket, or there may come a time when NCL says you can use 3/4 in a balcony or above. I stock up, the price is same 2 or more and I know i'm gonna use them.

Well, of course, if you do a cruise and then book your next one when you return then there is obviously no benefit to buying more than two cruise next vouchers on each cruise. Nobody is suggesting otherwise.

However, many people, for a variety of reasons, don't fit into that booking pattern. Sometimes sales and other offers mean that you may want to take advantage and book your next couple of cruises. If you book a B2B then of course you can use two vouchers on each one (as long as they are booked as two separate cruises). I personally have booked two cruises in the time between going on cruises multiple times.

This discussion actually started because the OP is talking about two separate cruises and would only be able to use one voucher on each cruise because they only own two of them. The point that I and others are making is that if they had 4 vouchers then they would have doubled the saving. That is a very clear financial benefit to anyone who is willing to see it.

As I said earlier, there is no particular benefit to buying 4 vouchers over 2, but there is certainly a benefit in making sure that you have enough vouchers to cover your future bookings. If you have to buy 4 in order to do that then there is the financial benefit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bones774 said:

Let's now focus on what brought us to this point, the OP said he only used one CN and was asked why not use two which would have brought him more savings.

The OP said that they can only use one voucher on each cruise because they only own two.

If they owned 4 they would have been able to use all 4 and saved themselves an extra $250. There seems to be some debate as to whether saving $250 is a financial benefit.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, KeithJenner said:

Well, of course, if you do a cruise and then book your next one when you return then there is obviously no benefit to buying more than two cruise next vouchers on each cruise. Nobody is suggesting otherwise.

However, many people, for a variety of reasons, don't fit into that booking pattern. Sometimes sales and other offers mean that you may want to take advantage and book your next couple of cruises. If you book a B2B then of course you can use two vouchers on each one (as long as they are booked as two separate cruises). I personally have booked two cruises in the time between going on cruises multiple times.

This discussion actually started because the OP is talking about two separate cruises and would only be able to use one voucher on each cruise because they only own two of them. The point that I and others are making is that if they had 4 vouchers then they would have doubled the saving. That is a very clear financial benefit to anyone who is willing to see it.

As I said earlier, there is no particular benefit to buying 4 vouchers over 2, but there is certainly a benefit in making sure that you have enough vouchers to cover your future bookings. If you have to buy 4 in order to do that then there is the financial benefit.

Yes, that is all correct, however Portfees vindicates himself in the end by stating that holding 4 over 2 is of no financial benefit, true, which deviated from our initial conversation, that applying 2 saves $$$.

It's somewhat semantics, buying 4 is no financial benefit over buying 2  but having 4 when needed is.

Edited by bones774
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, bones774 said:

It's somewhat semantics, buying 4 is no financial benefit but having 4 when needed is.

Yes, but when I've said that they have replied and said I'm wrong. For example, see post 27 above.

To be honest, I don't think they are actually reading what we are saying, but are instead arguing against what they have previously decided we are saying (which is clearly something completely different).

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, KeithJenner said:

The OP said that they can only use one voucher on each cruise because they only own two.

If they owned 4 they would have been able to use all 4 and saved themselves an extra $250. There seems to be some debate as to whether saving $250 is a financial benefit.

Not from me! I'm the one who brought it up.

2 hours ago, PortFees45 said:

LOL, I usually buy 4 because I like to have 2 to offer my Son and his GF.  So there is a good reason to have 4 for some.  🙂

4 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

LOL, I usually buy 4 because I like to have 2 to offer my Son and his GF.  So there is a good reason to have 4 for some.  🙂

i do same, make great gifts for a cruising family. Even keep my kids apprised of what's in my NCL bank, just in case if you know what I mean

19 hours ago, PortFees45 said:

I only buy two cruise nexts at a time. There's really no financial incentive to get more than that. I used one for each leg of the trip. 

You have paid $250. MORE on these 2 cruises. ($500 usual cost- $250 savings credit from NCL).      You had the option to redeem 2 on EACH cruise- with the current promotion.       So as I mentioned-  this option is certainly a wonderful deal.   

20 hours ago, PortFees45 said:

I only buy two cruise nexts at a time. There's really no financial incentive to get more than that. I used one for each leg of the trip. 

Your making a “lowest price “ claim.   You PAID $250 MORE than if you had taken advantage of the current promotion of redeeming 2 Cruise Next certificates- per cruise     That option certainly is a great deal.    

On 8/29/2019 at 5:19 PM, KeithJenner said:

Yes I know. It actually just seems to be one person who doesn't understand it.

Keith as always you are right on the money (excuse then pun) The person arguing with you does not get it or does not understand how NCL marketing works!!! Your live example is perfectly sound