Best binoculars for Alaska

Elliern

I am a birder and use binoculars often. But what is best for Alaska Cruise for spotting whales, eagles, bears etc. 

I know they need to be waterproof and I want them as light weight as possible.  I don’t want to go over $500.  I would like to use them for birding after the cruise. 

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.  

Opera glasses will work but the wild life will look at you and laugh.

Look for something with 7 or more power up to 10 beyond that holding the subject in view gets tiring.

Look for an object of 35 to 50 - the bigger the number the better the viewing in low light.

Have an option for Wide-Angle go for it but don't go to the extreme - your eyes will thank you.

Read up on this LINK:

https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search;_ylc=X1MDMjE0MjQ3ODk0OARfcgMyBGZyA3lteXktdC05OTkEZnIyA3NhLWdwBGdwcmlkAwRuX2dwcwMxMARvcmlnaW4DbXkueWFob28uY29tBHBvcwMxBHBxc3RyAwRxdWVyeQNiaW5vY3VsYXJzIGJ1eWluZyBndWlkZQRzYWMDMQRzYW8DMQ--?p=binoculars buying guide&fr=ymyy-t-999&fr2=p%3Amy%2Cm%3Asa&hspart=att&hsimp=yhs-att_001&type=sbc_dsl

Buy your binoculars from a sporting goods store Wal*Mart Target - don't buy on the ship unless desperate.

Nothing wrong with buying pocket binocs - compact and convenient.

Beware in humid climates of taking the binoculars and cameras out of an air conditioned cabin direct into

the outdoor viewing area - fogging may occur - it will go away in time or take a small hand towel to wipe clear.

Make sure you have strap lanyard or some device to hang on to them in case of accidents - just like you

would do with an expensive camera with those irreplaceable photos.  

Thanks all for the information and suggestions.  After doing a lot of research  and talking with others,  I think I have decided on a pair of Vortex HD Vipers. Probably 8x42.  Hoping they are as good as their ratings say they are.  

2 minutes ago, don't-use-real-name said:

Opera glasses will work but the wild life will look at you and laugh.

Look for something with 7 or more power up to 10 beyond that holding the subject in view gets tiring.

Look for an object of 35 to 50 - the bigger the number the better the viewing in low light.

Have an option for Wide-Angle go for it but don't go to the extreme - your eyes will thank you.

Read up on this LINK:

https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search;_ylc=X1MDMjE0MjQ3ODk0OARfcgMyBGZyA3lteXktdC05OTkEZnIyA3NhLWdwBGdwcmlkAwRuX2dwcwMxMARvcmlnaW4DbXkueWFob28uY29tBHBvcwMxBHBxc3RyAwRxdWVyeQNiaW5vY3VsYXJzIGJ1eWluZyBndWlkZQRzYWMDMQRzYW8DMQ--?p=binoculars buying guide&fr=ymyy-t-999&fr2=p%3Amy%2Cm%3Asa&hspart=att&hsimp=yhs-att_001&type=sbc_dsl

Buy your binoculars from a sporting goods store Wal*Mart Target - don't buy on the ship unless desperate.

Nothing wrong with buying pocket binocs - compact and convenient.

Beware in humid climates of taking the binoculars and cameras out of an air conditioned cabin direct into

the outdoor viewing area - fogging may occur - it will go away in time or take a small hand towel to wipe clear.

Make sure you have strap lanyard or some device to hang on to them in case of accidents - just like you

would do with an expensive camera with those irreplaceable photos.  

Thanks.  Great advice and suggestions!

On 8/29/2019 at 11:22 PM, Elliern said:

Thanks all for the information and suggestions.  After doing a lot of research  and talking with others,  I think I have decided on a pair of Vortex HD Vipers. Probably 8x42.  Hoping they are as good as their ratings say they are.  

Just saw your question. I can absolutely vouch for the Vortex 8x42 that you've decided to get. I own more pairs of binoculars than I can count. I've looked through but do not own both the 8x42 pair you are getting and a pair of 8x42 SLC 42 Swarovski (@ $2 grand). I can tell you with all honesty that the only difference is that the Swarovski are sharper at the edge of the field of view. And believe me, nobody ever looks at the edge of the field when using binoculars except amateur astronomers using them to look at starfields. The 8 power is the most reasonable magnification to be able to hand hold unless you go to the image stabilized variety which cross over your spending limit as well as become much heavier. The 42mm objective size is an ideal size coupled with 8x due to having an excellent low light gathering ability (5.25mm exit pupil). Really a good choice and if I were looking to get another pair for just all time general purpose use, the Vortex 8x42 would be very high on my list. I have several pair of the Nikon Monark and I would put them up near the top pick also.

Thanks for the thoughtful response. Great information.

I should receive them on Tuesday.  I also have a pair of monarch 7  that are 10x42. 

Unfortunately there is a lot of color fringing on them and they are a little heavy.  Looking forward to trying out my new Vortex. 

12 hours ago, Elliern said:

Thanks for the thoughtful response. Great information.

I should receive them on Tuesday.  I also have a pair of monarch 7  that are 10x42. 

Unfortunately there is a lot of color fringing on them and they are a little heavy.  Looking forward to trying out my new Vortex. 

Strange. I have an 8x42 pair of the Monarch 7 and I would put them right up there with the Swarovski. They are tack sharp and have a slightly wider FOV than the less expensive versions of the Monarch (same power). I've never noticed color fringing although there may be some in the 10x version but I've mostly used them for birding (never astronomy). I don't recommend 10x for any small boat whale watching - too much magnification, IMHO. My Monarch 7 are slightly sharper than a pair of Merlin 10x42 Steiner that DW uses all the time. For astronomy, I use Nikon Astrolux 10x70 which are sharp to the edge of the field with near perfect color but need a bino chair to use them.

I don’t do much astronomy, mostly birding and wildlife. Unfortunately, fringing was a problem with some of the Monarch 7’s at the time I bought them.  I could have sent them back to Nikon for repair but ‘didn't think it was that bad’ at the time. So now I am stuck with them. I still use them for looking at water fowl on our pond and deer nearby. But I am hoping the Vortex don’t have that problem and are brighter than my Nikons. 

My main purpose will be using the Vortex for birding but I do plan to use them while sitting on our cruise ship balcony and will be taking them with me on all excursions.

They are very highly rated for birding and wildlife.  Hopefully they will be as good as the ratings say. Hoping they will still be delivered on Tuesday since we are currently on hurricane warning starting Wednesday with some mandatory evacuations starting on Monday.  It’s always something 😔