Viking air question

johnandlinda

36 minutes ago, johnandlinda said:

We will be on Rhine Getaway in June ending in Basel

will return flights be Basel or Zurich departure?

Thanks!

If you pay the fee for custom air (usually $50pp depending on the itinerary) then you get a voice in the choosing process. You will be able to choose your flights now, rather than get what is left over when flights are assigned 75 days prior to departure. You are still limited to what Viking is offering under your airfare deal but at least you get a say. You will be able to make sure that you get long enough connection times, that you aren't departing the ship in the pre-dawn hours to get to the airport.

I haven't done this particular itinerary, so you have to wait for an answer from someone who has done it but if I had to guess based on my experience with Viking, you will be able to get a flight out of Zurich. You don't want to fly out of Basel when an hour bus ride to Zurich will get you a non-stop flight to IAD and home in half the time. Pay the custom air fee so you can insure that you are on that non-stop from Zurich.

• Like 1

Viking will fly you out of Basel. If they give you the option of a deviation from Zurich you will have to pay the $50/pp air plus fee and an additional $100/pp deviation fee and you will have to arrange your own transportation from the ship to Zurich. 

If you fly KLM/Delta/Air France you will likely fly Basel to Amsterdam or Paris (and I’d avoid a Paris if at all possible) then on to US. If you fly United/Lufthansa you will likely change in Frankfort or Munich. If you go with America/British Air you will likely connect in London (also not my favorite hub). 

My advice would be to take the longer drive to Zurich in order to get a nonstop back to the states.  DC, Newark, Chicago, etc.  That's assuming you're flying directly home after leaving the ship.  Be prepared for a very early disembarkation.  The cruise lines like to get you to the airport three hours before departure even if you have priority check in and security.   In our four cruises, we've never departed the ship on the final day in daylight.  Flights to the US depart around mid morning, for the most part so you have to depart the ship early. 

We just came home from Budapest and had to leave the hotel at 3:15 AM to make a 6:10 flight to Frankfurt. 

On 9/8/2019 at 6:29 AM, johnandlinda said:

We were able to book out of BSL with a connection in AMS then direct to Tampa. Going we are direct from Tampa to AMS...hoping Delta keeps that flight going! We had VAP and to get these flights we wanted was an extra 80 bucks or so pp...to us very worth it!

Good choice on flights. Amsterdam is (IMHO) the easiest hub in Europe. SO much faster and easier to navigate than London, Paris or Frankfort. 

4 hours ago, mhb1757 said:

Good choice on flights. Amsterdam is (IMHO) the easiest hub in Europe. SO much faster and easier to navigate than London, Paris or Frankfort. 

I still prefer non-stop flights if possible. I'd be inclined to travel to Zurich from Basel for a non-stop flight.