Port Arthur historical sight

19 minutes ago, Suzi66 said:

My husband has an ancestor that was sent to Port Arthur as a teenager.  He stole 22lb of ham.  My mother-in-law insists it was 2 small pieces.  2 small pieces my foot!  Interestingly enough when he left Port Arthur he left with the trade as a butcher.  He moved to the Victorian goldfields.  After his wife died many years later he became a drunk and a vagrant and my ancestor was the magistrate that kept putting him inside prison to dry out where he eventually died.

Wow. That's an amazing story. What a coincidence. It's great that you have been able to research this.

As someone said earlier, those transported weren't murderers: murderers were hanged in Britain. Most were ordinary people who stole to survive because there were no pensions or unemployment benefits. A small percentage were educated people who had committed fraud or similar offences. After arriving in Australia, only 10%-15% re-offended and most made a good life for themselves as trades-people and/or property owners. Some became very wealthy and a few even became magistrates or members of parliament.

Having been to Port Arthur site a couple of times, I shall not visit same when we hit Hobart on ye olde Majestic Princess next February, we shall patrol the waterfront, doing the Mawson's Hut again and perhaps partaking of a liquid refreshment like a Cascade Cider at a waterfront hostelry.

We had a couple of weeks in Tasweiga in 2018, doing the car touring bit, lovely island to tour at your own pace.

Edited by NSWP

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

Having been to Port Arthur site a couple of times, I shall not visit same when we hit Hobart on ye olde Majestic Princess next February, we shall patrol the waterfront, doing the Mawson's Hut again and perhaps partaking of a liquid refreshment like a Cascade Cider at a waterfront hostelry.

We had a couple of weeks in Tasweiga in 2018, doing the car touring bit, lovely island to tour at your own pace.

It really is the best way to see the place.

4 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

Wow. That's an amazing story. What a coincidence. It's great that you have been able to research this.

As someone said earlier, those transported weren't murderers: murderers were hanged in Britain. Most were ordinary people who stole to survive because there were no pensions or unemployment benefits. A small percentage were educated people who had committed fraud or similar offences. After arriving in Australia, only 10%-15% re-offended and most made a good life for themselves as trades-people and/or property owners. Some became very wealthy and a few even became magistrates or members of parliament.

How about the co-incidence that that magistrate was part of the family that brought the rabbits to Victoria and my father-in-law and his father were known locally where I now live as the 'Rabbit Man' as their job with the Lands Dept (or Dept of many name changes) was to find ways to rid the local wheat properties of the infestations of rabbits.

Thanks all for your insights on a ship's tour in Hobart over Port Arthur. We usually tour DIY unless the logistics to the 'must-see' places are tricky to work out on our own. Our OBC is non-refundable. We don't rent cars in foreign countries, lol... would stress me out! We'll be on the Majestic Tasmania RT Sydney that includes Melbourne. The previous week we're on the Golden S. Australia RT Melbourne so have lots of time for DIY there.

In Port Arthur, we plan to visit the historic site and do a walking tour. I've taken my husband to Alcatraz and the Kilmainham Goal... seems to be a re-curring theme... he's not that naughty, lol!

We're in port (tendered) from 7am to 5pm. Is there a tourist info centre at the historic site with options of other things to do in or from Port Arthur for the rest of the day?

10 hours ago, Adventures ahead said:

Thanks all for your insights on a ship's tour in Hobart over Port Arthur. We usually tour DIY unless the logistics to the 'must-see' places are tricky to work out on our own. Our OBC is non-refundable. We don't rent cars in foreign countries, lol... would stress me out! We'll be on the Majestic Tasmania RT Sydney that includes Melbourne. The previous week we're on the Golden S. Australia RT Melbourne so have lots of time for DIY there.

In Port Arthur, we plan to visit the historic site and do a walking tour. I've taken my husband to Alcatraz and the Kilmainham Goal... seems to be a re-curring theme... he's not that naughty, lol!

We're in port (tendered) from 7am to 5pm. Is there a tourist info centre at the historic site with options of other things to do in or from Port Arthur for the rest of the day?

There is an information centre and cafe at Port Arthur. There isn't anything else nearby that you would be worth trying to get to unless you wanted to go on the ship's tour to outer areas of the Port Arthur settlement (coal mines etc). There is quite a lot to see in Port Arthur. After taking the included guided walking tour, you can wander around. The ruins of the church are spectacularly beautiful.

Prior to your visit I suggest you read on Google about the 'Port Arthur Massacre' in 1996. This was Australia's only (modern) mass shooting in which 35 people were killed and 23 wounded. It isn't a pleasant story, but if you aren't aware of the details, you might find some of the comments from both your guides and other visitors a bit puzzling.

Edited by Aus Traveller

2 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

Prior to your visit I suggest you read on Google about the 'Port Arthur Massacre' in 1996. This was Australia's only (modern) mass shooting in which 35 people were killed and 23 wounded. It isn't a pleasant story, but if you aren't aware of the details, you might find some of the comments from both your guides and other visitors a bit puzzling.

When we were last there we were unofficially requested not to make any mention of, or ask questions about, the massacre, as many of the staff and guides who were present on that day are still working there, and mention often causes very painful memories and stress.

59 minutes ago, Russell21 said:

When we were last there we were unofficially requested not to make any mention of, or ask questions about, the massacre, as many of the staff and guides who were present on that day are still working there, and mention often causes very painful memories and stress.

We were also requested not to mention the shooting to the staff. However, there is a memorial sign and I expect that visitors will mention it to each other, if not to the staff.

Edited by Aus Traveller

When I was at Port Arthur in November last year there were shuttle buses from the visitor centre that were doing continuous loops with about 3 stops, a chocolate factory, lavender farm? and somewhere else for approx $15. I didn't use it as I'd book the Isle of the dead and ran out of time but it might be an option for the rest of your day.

Edited by MrPantsOz