question about Caribbean cruises

poss

Poss, I just received this email this morning from Regent. Book select 2019 and 2020 voyages throughout the Caribbean by September 30, 2019 and enjoy 15% Savings on your all-inclusive cruise fare. The January 8 cruise is one of the eligible ones. You may want to look into this. I agree with the posters above, I would go and enjoy. It's easy for you to get to Miami and you will have a wonderful time. All the best.

I appreciate the continued responses.   CC is very helpful, and rallydave, I'm happy to hear from you too.   Living in Florida, we held our breath for Dorian (we were hit quite badly with Irma two years ago, smack in the eye), and, yes, I wasn't worried about hurricanes in the Caribbean in January (though it can be quite windy during that month, I remember); just concerned that some of the islands on our itinerary might be badly damaged during these always-nervous-making hurricane months.   Of course cruisers having to miss an island is very small potatoes compared to the infinitely more serious consideration of the islanders themselves (and the islands as well).

taxare:  Good of you to mention the 15% savings.   Our TA alerted us and made the change a while back.   As for the Miami port, I'm trying to decide whether to drive ourselves or do the car service thing, as we've done in the past when flying out of MIA.   Where do you live in SW Florida?   We're in Bonita Springs. 

• Like 1

Poss, we live in Estero, so we are neighbors. We generally drive over to either the port or the airport. If you go over after rush hour its usually not too bad. The garage at the port is very convenient. The two times we sailed out of there the garage was right across the road from the boarding area for the ship.  

we usually drive to Miami. Depending on the length of the cruise we have rented cars. Less expensive than parking for longer voyages.. We're down the road from you 2, poss and taxare, in Naples. Enjoy the cruise. I find just being away and on the ship is enough. ports are just the icing on the cake.

6 hours ago, poss said:

Well, hiya neighbors!

(The ship is the icing on the cake for us.   For us, it's more about the ports.   But, oh, what yummy icing!)

It’s about the ports for us, too...except in the Caribbean.  😋

In the Caribbean we generally just do some local things or walk around and shop, or drink some rum drinks.  Having said that, though, I think we’ll be fine in January.

I was on last year's Caribbean cruise with UUnetBill.  There was very obvious hurricane damage to a number of the islands.  Having been to St. Lucia to sail from The Moorings in previous years, the damage was very obvious to me.  To the casual eye, it might not have been obvious.

San Juan was in very bad shape.   Many of the tours were canceled.  But, the local government paid the federal government to keep the Citadel open so that we would have something to do.  Antigua was pretty battered, as well.  I really didn't mind it.  I felt obligated to try to spend some money in order to help their economy.  They were all very glad to see us.

As far as wild and crazy in the Caribbean, Regent's passengers never fit that profile.  Everyone seems to be pretty mellow.   

Because we love snorkeling so much, we've been visiting the Caribbean virtually every year for decades.    Went to Tobago for our honeymoon (many moons ago), went to Barbados for our first anniversary — and on and on.   Have thoroughly enjoyed more than a dozen islands over the years (have probably repeated St John more than any other).   Love to beach out on those stunning, shaded beaches, get more reading done there than anywhere.   Enjoy the food, the music, the culture, most of all the wonderful off-beach snorkeling (reduced more and more, alas).   Have never experienced crime, of any sort whatsoever.  Have never felt unsafe.   Have mingled with the islanders themselves as much as with vacationers.   Have never felt an abundance of tourists compared to islanders.    Except maybe in St Thomas, but even there the islanders are as ubiquitous.

I've never enjoyed the so-many cruise ships at a number of the islands (not St John), but, heck, when there's a wonderful place to visit, people want to visit.   Long live the Caribbean (and the Bahamas)!   (I don't actually know if the Bahamas are part of the Caribbean, but one would think so.)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, poss said:

Because we love snorkeling so much, we've been visiting the Caribbean virtually every year for decades.    Went to Tobago for our honeymoon (many moons ago), went to Barbados for our first anniversary — and on and on.   Have thoroughly enjoyed more than a dozen islands over the years (have probably repeated St John more than any other).   Love to beach out on those stunning, shaded beaches, get more reading done there than anywhere.   Enjoy the food, the music, the culture, most of all the wonderful off-beach snorkeling (reduced more and more, alas).   Have never experienced crime, of any sort whatsoever.  Have never felt unsafe.   Have mingled with the islanders themselves as much as with vacationers.   Have never felt an abundance of tourists compared to islanders.    Except maybe in St Thomas, but even there the islanders are as ubiquitous.

I've never enjoyed the so-many cruise ships at a number of the islands (not St John), but, heck, when there's a wonderful place to visit, people want to visit.   Long live the Caribbean (and the Bahamas)!   (I don't actually know if the Bahamas are part of the Caribbean, but one would think so.)

Extremely well stated Poss.  Hope you and DH enjoy your January/February cruise there.  Sure you will.  And, yes the Bahamas are part of the Caribbean.

UUnetBill,

We are going to miss you this year.  No CC reunion.  That leaves all the goodies at tea for you.  Don't trash the ship.  We need to use it a few weeks later.  We booked Explorer for the Western Caribbean instead of your itinerary.  Just booked it this morning.  I was just looking at the excursions.  The excursions look fabulous and have a much greater variety than the Eastern Carribean. Ah Ha!!!  

We are going with the same couple that accompanied us last year.  It's all their fault.  They got us hooked.  I've not been on Explorer before.  We'll see how she compares to the lovely Voyager.  I'm very excited, but will miss seeing you two.

TravelCat2,

Yes.  I met the now famous UUNetBill and his lovely better half.  They live in South Carolina.  They are fun people.  Just the right amount of crazy and fun bundled together.      

Edited by orvil

orvil - glad to hear that you met one of our favorite people on CC.  We have yet to meet Bill and his lovely wife but hope to in the future.  He is a bright light on the Regent board (Bill - don't read this or your head will swell).

Back to the subject.  I'm linking an article about the 10 most dangerous ports that cruise ships visit.  There is a strong article about Nassau but I am not linking that out of respect for what they are going through right now.  Really hope that they can rebuild quickly and that they continue to receive help from all of us.  Note:  The writer of the article (that was originally written in 2014) stated that the list has not changed since it was originally written.

https://www.cruiselawnews.com/2014/04/articles/crime/top-10-most-dangerous-cruise-destinations-in-the-world/

I research this type of information - not because we will not travel to places where there is crime/pick pocketing or whatever, we just want to be aware of it so that we an take proper precautions.