Escape 9/8/19 sailing delayed

Gershep

My husband and I both received text messages and phone calls on our cells informing us of the change. There is also a message on our My NCL account online informing us of the change.

Not to start rumors (because I've heard absolutely nothing on this subject), but I'm wondering if there's a chance that the Tuesday port call to Bar Harbor will wind up being cancelled/changed also. From what I've read, it could be challenging to tender there under normal circumstances, let alone on the heels of a tropical storm/hurricane/whatever-Dorian-will-be-when-it-reaches-the-Maritimes. Let's hope for the best!

We are on the Celebrity Summit, scheduled to depart Cape Liberty this Sunday for NE/Canada as well.  She has been in Bermuda this week with the Escape, both scheduled to depart today (Friday) for their return to NY Harbor on Sunday.  I've been concerned about whether those ships would be able to get back on Sunday as scheduled, and have been monitoring not just the Celebrity web site but also NCL's.  While NCL has posted the delayed arrival and departure on Sept. 8 as this thread notes, nothing yet from Celebrity.   Hoping for the best along with all of you here.

And, of course, thinking about all of the people who have been and will be in harm's way from Dorian.

Edited by Turtles06

33 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

We are on the Celebrity Summit, scheduled to depart Cape Liberty this Sunday for NE/Canada as well.  She has been in Bermuda this week with the Escape, both scheduled to depart today (Friday) for their return to NY Harbor on Sunday.  I've been concerned about whether those ships would be able to get back on Sunday as scheduled, and have been monitoring not just the Celebrity web site but also NCL's.  While NCL has posted the delayed arrival and departure on Sept. 8 as this thread notes, nothing yet from Celebrity.   Hoping for the best along with all of you here.

And, of course, thinking about all of the people who have been and will be in harm's way from Dorian.

Curious to know if the Celebrity will be delayed like the Escape. Let us know. Enjoy your trip.

Per NCL's Web Site......

Norwegian Escape

Norwegian Escape departed New York City on Sept. 1, 2019 for a seven-day cruise, calling to the Royal Naval Dockyard in Bermuda from Sept. 4 to 6 and returning on Sept. 8.  Due to Hurricane Dorian in the Atlantic, her return to New York will be delayed to 2 p.m. or sooner on Sept. 8. 

As such, Norwegian Escape’s seven-day Canada and New England voyage planned to depart on Sept. 8 from New York City, has been modified to accommodate a late check-in and delayed departure.  Check-in will be from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. on Sept. 8, with a scheduled sail away at 10 p.m.  There are no further itinerary changes at this time.

Edited by Laszlo

we are booked on the escape and just saw this on the website.  we arrive at JFK at 10:30am.  I am wondering now what we are going to do.  We will have our bags and can't just skip around NYC for 4 hours.  Sitting at the port is not exactly what I had in mind either.

12 minutes ago, Onealpha said:

we are booked on the escape and just saw this on the website.  we arrive at JFK at 10:30am.  I am wondering now what we are going to do.  We will have our bags and can't just skip around NYC for 4 hours.  Sitting at the port is not exactly what I had in mind either.

http://schwartztravel.com/

1 hour ago, Onealpha said:

... we arrive at JFK at 10:30am ... will have our bags and can't just skip around NYC for 4 hours.  Sitting at the port is not exactly what I had in mind either.

If your flight is scheduled to land at JFK at 10:30 tomorrow & on time, by the time the plane is at the gate after taxiing, walk thru the terminal, pickup your luggage & head out to ground transportation - it will probably be 11:30 to 11:45 a.m. or later.  A flat rate taxi ride or car service trip, or Uber/Lyft ride with "normal" weekend midday traffic will take easily 1 hour to 90 minutes to get to the pier - that's about 1 to 1:30 p.m.  If the Escape is "earlier" than planned for this special turnaround timetable, you really don't have hours to sit & wait, although the terminal will be full & packed to capacity, that those arriving will be turned away & not allowed to proceed thru security for check-in.  I would check the ship's location/status upon landing, retrieve your luggage & maybe find a place at the airport for lunch - before doing ground transportation to the pier.  We're at one of the delayed sailing last year, it wasn't pretty and the "Pier Cafe" ran out of nearly everything for sale to the hungry ones or those low on "sugar" level, i.e. soda, juice, hotdogs, pretzels, etc.  

I was tracking both the Escape & Summit yesterday as they left Bermuda, on a westernly heading ... basically heading toward the coast of the Carolinas, below & around the storm on a fast track into the Atlantic maritime by now.  Just check Escape's live webcam, they looked fine ... sailing in fairly calm & smooth sea/swell, maybe still windy.  At some point, if not already, they will be heading north toward NY/NJ, maybe hugging the coast of MD and could be crossing into/along southern NJ by (late ?) late this evening.  

NCL's website announcement is that she will arrive at 2 p.m. or sooner.  My bet is for an earlier arrival but much later than usual - rip tides & strong currents can still be challenging for the ship to dock safely once at the pier.  I will check it later to see if she's within AIS tracking range (currently, satellite data is available but I don't subscribe to that option on MarineTraffic) and/or ship's live webcam early in the morning.  She can cruise at 23 to 24 knots; and, typically sail into NY as early as 3 to 5 am, docked at the pier ... probably not this Sunday but, I won't be surprised at all to see her coming up the Hudson River by 7 or 8 a.m.  

6 minutes ago, Baileyolive said:

Mking8288

Can you direct me how to access the NCL Escape webcam   Would like to watch their docking. 

Sure, it's easy - NCL's own website has link to all of the ship's webcam - here's the Escape (seas look moderate, not choppy, some swell but fairly typical of the Bermuda crossing this time of the year)

fullsize.jpg

Ship Mate is a free App that I use (both iOS but Android is my primary platform) - it has links, under "Explore" and select "Deck Cams" to find all the NCL ship's webcam link. 

This is the link to Earthcams - it has a # of live, streaming video cam links including the Statue of Liberty & lower NY Bay/harbor cams - best viewed on a larger, high resolution display ... enjoy !! 

https://www.earthcam.com/usa/newyork/statueofliberty/?cam=liberty_hd

1 hour ago, mking8288 said:

I was tracking both the Escape & Summit yesterday as they left Bermuda, on a westernly heading ... basically heading toward the coast of the Carolinas, below & around the storm on a fast track into the Atlantic maritime by now.  Just check Escape's live webcam, they looked fine ... sailing in fairly calm & smooth sea/swell, maybe still windy.  At some point, if not already, they will be heading north toward NY/NJ, maybe hugging the coast of MD and could be crossing into/along southern NJ by (late ?) late this evening.  

NCL's website announcement is that she will arrive at 2 p.m. or sooner.  My bet is for an earlier arrival but much later than usual - rip tides & strong currents can still be challenging for the ship to dock safely once at the pier.  I will check it later to see if she's within AIS tracking range (currently, satellite data is available but I don't subscribe to that option on MarineTraffic) and/or ship's live webcam early in the morning.  She can cruise at 23 to 24 knots; and, typically sail into NY as early as 3 to 5 am, docked at the pier ... probably not this Sunday but, I won't be surprised at all to see her coming up the Hudson River by 7 or 8 a.m.  

We are boarding the Summit in Cape Liberty tomorrow, so I’ve been following both ships too.  We received an email from Celebrity a little while ago saying they expect the Summit to arrive at 9am, one hour late, and that they’ve moved our boarding and departure times back an hour as well (the latter from 4pm to 5pm).  That’s not bad, all things considered, and I hope it holds! 

And I hope everyone on the Escape has a great cruise. See you in Portland on Wednesday! 😀

@Turtles06 -  Great update & happy sailing.  The Escape & the Summit were basically following each other out of Bermuda ... Checked in the late afternoon & saw 2 passenger vessels way off the coast of Virginia Beach now - course headings most likely NY/NJ, one in front & the other following behind.  From previous tracking/arrival trends, if the Summit is expecting a 9 am arrival - it is "likely" that the Escape will be ... (see below)

Update @ 02:30 live AIS radar tracking  - Summit @ 22 knots, ETA 07:00 to CL, another 4.5 hours - currently off the coastline of Ocean County/Atlantic City, NJ  -  came within range about 2 hours ago.  Well, unless the chart is misleading, the Escape is running 2 to 3 hours behind the Summit and does not looked like she will be on the Hudson any earlier than 9:30 to 10:30 am, possibly even later.   

This is going to be a problem for out-of-town with travel arrangements - including car service pickup, airport transfer & flights in the early afternoon ... not that it's NCL's "fault" with the hurricane.  

@Gershep - you are welcomed.   Enjoy Canada & New England - very tempted to book a last minute but ...  We're just in Boston & Newport, RI last week - great lobster rolls at Flo's Clam Shack (Dawn was tendering in RI on Sunday) and steamed live lobsters (+ creamy clam chowder) at Yankees Lobster Co in Beantown's waterfront ... 

Have a safe & happy cruise !

15 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

The Escape & the Summit were basically following each other out of Bermuda ... Checked in the late afternoon & saw 2 passenger vessels way off the coast of Virginia Beach now - course headings most likely NY/NJ, one in front & the other following behind.  From previous tracking/arrival trends, if the Summit is expecting a 9 am arrival - it is "likely" that the Escape will be ... (see below)

Update @ 02:30 live AIS radar tracking  - Summit @ 22 knots, ETA 07:00 to CL, another 4.5 hours - currently off the coastline of Ocean County/Atlantic City, NJ  -  came within range about 2 hours ago.  Well, unless the chart is misleading, the Escape is running 2 to 3 hours behind the Summit and does not looked like she will be on the Hudson any earlier than 9:30 to 10:30 am, possibly even later.   

Thanks for this middle of the night update!  The Escape left Bermuda a good half hour or more before the Summit, but the Summit got ahead of her as your info shows.  Since NCL on Thursday had already announced a late arrival for the Escape on Sunday and a pretty delayed departure for the next cruise, I wonder if the Escape is just not killing herself now to get back to NY Harbor as quickly as the Summit is.

But the good news for all is that both ships will be back today. Happy sailings to everyone! 

Looks like Summit is docked. Escape still out to sea. I guess they are taking their time in since the current passengers were told they would be arriving at 2pm or a littler earlier. Imagine all the calls for flights and pickups, people would go crazy if they docked at the original time. I had to find another way in since my original car service was booked for a later time.

Enjoy Canada & New England - very tempted to book a last minute but ...  We're just in Boston & Newport, RI last week - great lobster rolls at Flo's Clam Shack (Dawn was tendering in RI on Sunday) and steamed live lobsters (+ creamy clam chowder) at Yankees Lobster Co in Beantown's waterfront ... 

No Rhode Island or Beantown for us, which we were going.