Zaandam/ Amsterdam - Eastern Canada cruise

cosmo1027

I am looking for feedback regarding the Zaandam and Amsterdam ships.  We are looking at an Eastern Canada cruise next June and both these ships do the itinerary.  They look very similar but I was wondering if there is an advantage of one over the other?  Also, in terms of the itineraries which go from Montreal to Boston and in reverse, stopping at the same ports, is one direction better than the other?  Perhaps it's splitting hairs.  

We have never done this itinerary.  We have sailed on the Zuiderdam and Eurodam previously.  Thank you in advance for you help!

4 hours ago, cosmo1027 said:

I am looking for feedback regarding the Zaandam and Amsterdam ships.  We are looking at an Eastern Canada cruise next June and both these ships do the itinerary.  They look very similar but I was wondering if there is an advantage of one over the other?  Also, in terms of the itineraries which go from Montreal to Boston and in reverse, stopping at the same ports, is one direction better than the other?  Perhaps it's splitting hairs.  

We have never done this itinerary.  We have sailed on the Zuiderdam and Eurodam previously.  Thank you in advance for you help!

We are on the Zaandam in 2 weeks going from Montreal to Boston.  I will let you know how she is once I return.  We are doing that route as we live 2 hours away from the Montreal Port and can get a drive there and fly back from Boston.  Cheap flight home from Boston and less hassle for us doing it this way.  If there is anything else you would like to know about the ship before I go, please ask away and I will gladly report back with the answer.

• Like 1

We have been on both ships. We have done the trip from Boston. Great ships - both of them. Really neat ports of call.

What you might want to look into is the cost of getting to and from your home. For instance, a flight from Montreal might not have decent connections; whereas something getting to Montreal could be easier. You might consider (if you have the time) renting a car from your home town and drive to Montreal, turn in the car and then cruise to Boston. A flight back to Pittsburgh International should be easy. Compare and contrast (just like the art historians preach).

Jim

• Like 2

Ship-wise, in my opinion, it does not make any difference.  While not sister ships, the art in both are different with the Zaandam having an interesting musical theme that features an Atrium piece of art that is an "organ" that periodically plays a tune with figures along its side "performing".

I have enjoyed lengthy cruises on both.  If I had to choose, I would choose Zaandam.

• Like 1

One difference between ships is that the ocean view cabins on the Lower Promenade deck of the Amsterdam have been converted to lanai cabins. This is a nice alternative to the higher priced balcony staterooms, but a negative for people like us who enjoy using the lounge chairs along this outside deck. Each lanai cabin has two reserved lounge chairs which makes them off-limits for others to use. 

• Like 1

On 9/8/2019 at 12:34 PM, cormike1 said:

We are on the Zaandam in 2 weeks going from Montreal to Boston.  I will let you know how she is once I return.  We are doing that route as we live 2 hours away from the Montreal Port and can get a drive there and fly back from Boston.  Cheap flight home from Boston and less hassle for us doing it this way.  If there is anything else you would like to know about the ship before I go, please ask away and I will gladly report back with the answer.

Thank you!  I would love to hear about your experience.

And thank you everyone else for your feedback.  It gave me some things to think about.

• Like 1