What do you ask of your butler.

Gardendog

23 hours ago, StanandJim said:

When I was a kid travelling on the Queens with my Grandparents who were Cunard regulars, there was a "You may order absolutely anything in the Main Dining Room" policy. 

107bed37a01c27c36415eebd49328bc3.jpg

Those Waiters swore that Rattlesnake (a Texas favorite,  apparently) was among the most requested dishes-

I was forbidden to try it.  😭   

😉

For us a Butler is an important part of the cruise.  Do we like service, yes we do because that is what makes a vacation for us.  In the morning our Butler knows the door is never double locked so he/she can bring breakfast in and set the table.  If the bedroom door is closed, they know we'll be out when we get up and we have coffee and breakfast at our leisure.  On a long cruise we get tried of eating out every night, eating in is just right (it could be just soup and a sandwich, or more).  Again on a long cruise it could be a full day in the suite, movies, snacking and whatever--it could just be a PJ day.  Making extra dinner dates at the SP restaurants.  To us it's a nice way to sail.............

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, ronrick1943 said:

If the bedroom door is closed, they know we'll be out when we get up and we have coffee and breakfast at our leisure.

I know nothing about this life style.  But if they leave your breakfast and you don't get up right away, are you then eating cold food?  Seems better to call for room service when you're ready.  But again, I'm ignorant on this subject.  TIA.

6 minutes ago, clo said:

I know nothing about this life style.  But if they leave your breakfast and you don't get up right away, are you then eating cold food?  Seems better to call for room service when you're ready.  But again, I'm ignorant on this subject.  TIA.

With a butler, you can schedule delivery of breakfast when you would like it delivered (+/-15 minutes, but usually right on time).  That way the delivery can be synced with your wake-up schedule. 

24 minutes ago, clo said:

Not that it is important, but we order cold food, cereal, fresh fruit, rolls and the coffee is never cold always hot.  It's not like we're sleeping hours after it comes in.  We order about the time we think we'll get up.

25 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

With a butler, you can schedule delivery of breakfast when you would like it delivered (+/-15 minutes, but usually right on time).  That way the delivery can be synced with your wake-up schedule. 

I guess I'm not being clear.  Whether a butler or room service I won't know in advance if I'm getting up at 7, 730, 8.  So I'd rather order it when I get up.  Grab a cup of coffee at one of the lounges.

• Like 1

On 9/8/2019 at 10:30 PM, StanandJim said:

If that is your mindset, it is unlikely that we would ever be able to convert you.

A Kia drives the same roads as a Rolls Royce

McDonalds is just as filling as the French Laundry

Some people feel uncomfortable being catered to

others adore it.  

It's not about the brand of automobile. The comparison would be whether the owner of the Kia or Rolls wants a chauffeur. It's just like wanting a butler on Carnival or Oceania.

Feeling uncomfortable with being catered to has nothing to do with it. Some people, myself included, simply don't see the need for a butler.

Edited by Rob the Cruiser
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Rob the Cruiser said:

It's not about the brand of automobile. The comparison would be whether the owner of the Kia or Rolls wants a chauffeur. It's just like wanting a butler on Carnival or Oceania.

Feeling uncomfortable with being catered to has nothing to do with it. Some people, myself included, simply don't see the need for a butler.

I think you are both right.  Some folks love being catered to, it makes some folks uncomfortable, and some folks consider it utterly unnecessary.  

Butlers are new to us.  We sailed mostly Seabourn until last year, and they don't have them.  We had one for the first time on the Silver Muse, and I found it annoying.  It was a layer of personnel I did not need or want.  We'll see how I feel about it after our Dec cruise on Marina.  I'm hoping that our butler is the type to understand how little we need, and leave it at that rather than trying to make himself useful.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kate-AHF said:

I think you are both right.  Some folks love being catered to, it makes some folks uncomfortable, and some folks consider it utterly unnecessary.  

Butlers are new to us.  We sailed mostly Seabourn until last year, and they don't have them.  We had one for the first time on the Silver Muse, and I found it annoying.  It was a layer of personnel I did not need or want.  We'll see how I feel about it after our Dec cruise on Marina.  I'm hoping that our butler is the type to understand how little we need, and leave it at that rather than trying to make himself useful.

We feel the same, however we do enjoy the services when we want it.  We tell our Butler when we first meet him/her we enjoy having breakfast set up when we get up.  After that we are "not" high maintenance people and won't be calling on them-and that's OK.  We never want later afternoon snacks.  We never want to be walked to the restaurant anytime.  That said it's nice to know they seen to know your needs, little things like the fruit bowl will always be filled with the ideas they see that you eat with asking for anything.  They make arrangement for you so you don't have to waste time.  Those of you that say people that need this service need to be catered too - you're just wrong. And don't forget you pay for this service in your suite fare.

Edited by ronrick1943
  • Like 1

Clo,

We always know the time when we will be getting up.  If we have tour that day (whether ship's or private) we know when we have to be off the ship and plan accordingly.  On those days we have breakfast in the room.

And if we are not leaving the ship right away, or it is a sea day, we plan on getting up in time to make it to the GDR for breakfast ... and some more lamb chops!

Mura

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Kate-AHF said:

At first I thought, what would I do with a Butler? Love our privacy, am self sufficient, and would never have live in help in my home. However, they do tend to grow on you and some of them provide impeccable service. 

On our Ponant cruise to Antarctica, we had an OS. The finest Butler we have ever had. I was actually embarrassed  when getting out of the tenders after our landings because he would be there to take our coats and help me take off my boots LOL!. I am very fit and he actually could have helped many others that really needed it. 

It is a nice touch and you pay for that fine service and smile. Enjoy!

• Like 2

Our butler brought morning tea at 7.30am each day as we asked him to.  He did not knock.  We did not have to open the door for him.  He just came in and put the tray down and left, just as we asked him to.    A couple of times we asked him to bring breakfast as we had early starts.  This included disembarkation day.   Also we had the afternoon canapés.  One day we forgot to put out the order, but we met Mani in the hallway.  We did not mention the canapés but he said he had canapés left over and would we like them.  So we said yes.  This kind of service makes for a relaxing and stress free holiday.  Why get up and dressed to go to a public room to get coffee/tea when it can be delivered to your suite by an unobtrusive, charming butler at 7.30am.    We prefer to have breakfast in the MDR rather than the Terrace.  Not having to think for ourselves is an important part of the holiday for us.  This is why Oceania suites us so well.  However I perfectly understand why it does not suit everyone........ I think.......   J 

• Like 3