Transfer booking to TA?

johnandlinda

16 hours ago, RexMesiter said:

This thread is a bit old, but couldn't find anything on this topic that's more recent.  I was thinking of transferring my Viking Ocean 14-day cruise booking to a travel agent and received an offer of $200pp in onboard credit.  From my internet research, this seems a little on the low end - what kind of perks should I expect?

TAs are constrained by Viking in how much they can offer in OBC; it increases with the length of your cruise. IIRC, $200 is the standard allowed amount on a 14-day cruise.

14 hours ago, cccole said:

I'm happy and will watch possible price drops. 

@cccole, don't hold your breath and do keep in mind that price drops are rare and do not apply to existing reservations.

Viking does not have a lowest price guarantee. If you want to take advantage of a price drop, it means cancelling your current booking and re-booking. You will have to pay any cancellation penalties, you will lose all benefits from the original booking ($25 deposit, any OBCs, any freebies, etc) and there is no guarantee that the cabin you booked originally will be available.

Viking marches to the beat of a different drummer. They are not a member of the cruise  line association and do not follow many of the conventions set out by that association. They do a lot of things very differently from what many who have only traveled with association members are accustomed to.

• Like 1

Peregrina651, totally understand the policies, lots of fine print reading.  It's not our first rodeo but the first with Viking.  Thank you for pointing out differences between Viking and other cruise lines.  So far Viking has really not been much different than other lines.  We're looking forward to our 2024 cruise.  Cherie 

On 3/1/2023 at 5:20 PM, RexMesiter said:

This thread is a bit old, but couldn't find anything on this topic that's more recent.  I was thinking of transferring my Viking Ocean 14-day cruise booking to a travel agent and received an offer of $200pp in onboard credit.  From my internet research, this seems a little on the low end - what kind of perks should I expect?

The max Viking allows TAs (and I don’t think they are desperate no matter what Mikey says) to gift is $150pp on cruises of 7 nights or less, $300pp on 8-14night cruises, and $500pp on cruises of 15 nights or more. It’s my understanding that these sums are the total gift they can provide so perhaps your TA is providing $200 shipboard credit and will surprise you with wine or some other gift equal to the $100 that would otherwise be the max.  Personally, I am happy with our TA who supplies the max as credit. 

On 3/5/2023 at 3:44 PM, Clay Clayton said:

The max Viking allows TAs (and I don’t think they are desperate no matter what Mikey says) to gift is $150pp on cruises of 7 nights or less, $300pp on 8-14night cruises, and $500pp on cruises of 15 nights or more. It’s my understanding that these sums are the total gift they can provide so perhaps your TA is providing $200 shipboard credit and will surprise you with wine or some other gift equal to the $100 that would otherwise be the max.  Personally, I am happy with our TA who supplies the max as credit. 

Clay,

Just to let you know that the TA we use in common said that we would only get $150 pp.  I thought she was only looking at the 'cruise' portion of the Cities of Lights river cruise that we are doing in late April which is 7 nights, not including the four nights on land plus an extension.  Happily, the travel agency gave us $300 pp shipboard credit and it appeared in our account online in MyVikingJourney.  What I thought was interesting is that we had booked an excursion early on and paid for it.  Viking refunded it back to our credit card and paid the excursion out of the shipboard credits.  So now we are left with just under what we need to pay for gratuities.  It was a nice surprise.  We are looking forward to our first Viking cruise since '19. 

2 hours ago, SM77 said:

Clay,

Just to let you know that the TA we use in common said that we would only get $150 pp.  I thought she was only looking at the 'cruise' portion of the Cities of Lights river cruise that we are doing in late April which is 7 nights, not including the four nights on land plus an extension.  Happily, the travel agency gave us $300 pp shipboard credit and it appeared in our account online in MyVikingJourney.  What I thought was interesting is that we had booked an excursion early on and paid for it.  Viking refunded it back to our credit card and paid the excursion out of the shipboard credits.  So now we are left with just under what we need to pay for gratuities.  It was a nice surprise.  We are looking forward to our first Viking cruise since '19. 

It is a nice surprise! Have fun.