Clothing for yoga

3rd girl of 5

Something comfortable that won't move too much or show too much if you're bending over & around. If you don't have leggings, you can wear a knit short (you want a stretch waist!) and a t-shirt. (I would wear a sports bra but I *need* to wear a sports bra 😉 What other sorts of exercise do you do; what clothing do you wear for that?

I suggest either a somewhat snug-fitting top (t-shirt or tank) or layered tops with the bottom layer tucked in. This prevents the hem of your shirt from revealing your entire torso while you practice downward dog. (Yes, that’s experience talking!) For bottoms, stretchy shorts, joggers, sweatpants...anything with an elastic waistband.

Please don't try yoga on a cruise ship if you're not experienced in yoga.  I have watched a class on luxury ships with horror to see what the instructor has had the class doing.  I'm a physical therapist and should know better, but even I have injured myself in classes that were above my skill level. It's pretty easy to watch an instructor, who is most likely younger than 30, and try to imitate the move.  It's not worth losing out on days of cruising with pulled muscles or worse.  Get on an exercise bike and do some gentle stretches on your own.

• Thanks 1

I would totally do it! Just tell the instructor you're a novice and ask that s/he note any modifications that should be done for people who aren't experienced. Esp if it's a small group -it shouldn't be a problem. If you're not comfortable trying something, skip it.

21 hours ago, clo said:

One of our daughters who is SUPER athletic and does some yoga said to be careful.  Depending on the type of yoga you can hurt yourself.  I know nothing about it.

I’m with you Cath! My daughter same as yours and Has said the same thing! Need to take it slow. One of her dear friends is a Physical Therapist and says he has seen more people with nerve problems from trying too hard attempting to do too much as a beginner!

On clothing our daughter Shawn says comfortable breathable light weight clothing. In Costa Rica at a yoga retreat 

she was on said with the humidity they wore yoga shorts tank top! 

I know nothing but maybe try it🙄

Denise😊

• Like 1