Britannia Refit

philsuarez

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

Didn't the same economics also apply to Princess who have opened Royal Princess centre stairs and possibly also Regal Princess.

I think Princess may be under less financial pressure to save money than P&O, because of devaluation of the pound

On 10/3/2019 at 4:10 AM, CCFC said:

Ive been on both the Royal Princess and Britannia and the differences inside are quite striking.

DSC00407.JPG

20180624_015531.jpg

Understated, yet elegant, metropolitan hotel (above, British) versus Italian Piazza (below, American). This American is more inclined toward the former.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

So the refit is complete and passengers should be boarding today for the short mini cruise. Much has been said about the atrium and new art gallery but what changes if any were made to cabins and did they install scrubbers to for the soot?

28 minutes ago, philsuarez said:

So the refit is complete and passengers should be boarding today for the short mini cruise. Much has been said about the atrium and new art gallery but what changes if any were made to cabins and did they install scrubbers to for the soot?

Believe that Britannia was the first Royal class ship to be built with scrubbers already in place. What needed looking at was the angle/ height of the funnel.

46 minutes ago, philsuarez said:

Is she in today? Passed by Ocean terminal earlier and didn't see her. 

Andy 

26 minutes ago, philsuarez said:

it may be she's in tomorrow thinking about it as its a two nighter back in Southampton on Friday just in time for me to board!

Would be very interested to hear your views on the refit with any photos if poss. Have a safe journey across the pond and enjoy your cruise 😎

32 minutes ago, philsuarez said:

it may be she's in tomorrow thinking about it as its a two nighter back in Southampton on Friday just in time for me to board!

Would be very interested to hear your views on the refit with any photos if poss. Have a safe journey across the pond and enjoy your cruise 😎

6 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

I wasn't really looking, but surprised I didn't see her. 

Should have gone to Specsavers😊

Andy 

She berthed first at Mayflower Terminal this morning then transferred to Ocean Terminal late morning.

Edited by molecrochip

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry to jump into this conversation I’m new here but I have 2 cruises booked in aft suites on deck a and deck b on Britannia in 2020 and 2021. We have sailed in suite a727 previously and despite some minor issues with soot we loved it. We booked the 2021 cruise on the day of release and the 2020 cruise sometime in August 2019. Today we received an email informing us that we our balconies that we loved so much will now be covered by a tinted glass canopy. All aft balconies on a deck and b deck are now covered, I’ve seen some images and they look as though they are now completely shaded. P&O have stated this is to give guests privacy, however, having sailed before we knew we would be overlooked and chose to go ahead anyway. I understand that the canopy may suit some people better but my issue is that we are only being informed now. Britannia came out of dry dock on the very day we booked the 2021 cruise, it would’ve been nice if we could’ve been informed sooner and I’m guessing that the reason they’ve sent out the email almost 4 weeks later is because they’ve probably had complaints from people that have sailed on her since she came out of dry dock because they weren’t informed. I’m hoping with time there will be more images or videos of the new situation that will leave me more able to assess to what degree the balconies are shaded. The p&o website has Britannia deck plans on there for 2019/2020 and the balconies are still marked as overlooked and have no symbol to mark them as shaded. This is probably the wrong place to ask but has anyone had a similar email or have sailed in the aft suites since the refit that could shed some light on the situation. I can find no mention of it elsewhere on the internet. 

4 minutes ago, Precioussmeagol said:

Sorry to jump into this conversation I’m new here but I have 2 cruises booked in aft suites on deck a and deck b on Britannia in 2020 and 2021. We have sailed in suite a727 previously and despite some minor issues with soot we loved it. We booked the 2021 cruise on the day of release and the 2020 cruise sometime in August 2019. Today we received an email informing us that we our balconies that we loved so much will now be covered by a tinted glass canopy. All aft balconies on a deck and b deck are now covered, I’ve seen some images and they look as though they are now completely shaded. P&O have stated this is to give guests privacy, however, having sailed before we knew we would be overlooked and chose to go ahead anyway. I understand that the canopy may suit some people better but my issue is that we are only being informed now. Britannia came out of dry dock on the very day we booked the 2021 cruise, it would’ve been nice if we could’ve been informed sooner and I’m guessing that the reason they’ve sent out the email almost 4 weeks later is because they’ve probably had complaints from people that have sailed on her since she came out of dry dock because they weren’t informed. I’m hoping with time there will be more images or videos of the new situation that will leave me more able to assess to what degree the balconies are shaded. The p&o website has Britannia deck plans on there for 2019/2020 and the balconies are still marked as overlooked and have no symbol to mark them as shaded. This is probably the wrong place to ask but has anyone had a similar email or have sailed in the aft suites since the refit that could shed some light on the situation. I can find no mention of it elsewhere on the internet. 

Hello,

I too am booked in an aft suite in 2021 & received the same email this morning.

I raised the issue with my TA after I saw a post refit photo of the aft & like you booked knowing the balcony is overlooked but loved it for the space & the sun we've previously experienced.

This is the reply I received ....

I have spoke to one of the P&O representatives and they have confirmed that they have put canopies that are in fact glass canopies over these suites which gives these cabins privacy. She has advised that this will not affect your space or the amount of sun as these are made of glass.

Like you, I am hoping that some additional photos etc appear in due course.

Joan

22 minutes ago, Big Foot said:

Hello,

I too am booked in an aft suite in 2021 & received the same email this morning.

I raised the issue with my TA after I saw a post refit photo of the aft & like you booked knowing the balcony is overlooked but loved it for the space & the sun we've previously experienced.

This is the reply I received ....

I have spoke to one of the P&O representatives and they have confirmed that they have put canopies that are in fact glass canopies over these suites which gives these cabins privacy. She has advised that this will not affect your space or the amount of sun as these are made of glass.

Like you, I am hoping that some additional photos etc appear in due course.

Joan

Thank you for your reply. 

The response from P&O doesn’t exactly sound reassuring. If it won’t affect the amount of sun will we in fact be sitting under a green house 😂

I am sincerely hoping it’s not as bad as I first thought it might be when I received the email. Maybe it really will be the best of both worlds but I can’t say I’m not concerned. 

I’m not on facebook but I have family that are so I’ll get them to check it out, thank you for that information. Could I ask if you know where they were posted so I know what look for. 

That is as I feared, I can’t possibly see how it won’t have a negative impact for people that enjoy the sun 

3 minutes ago, Precioussmeagol said:

I’m not on facebook but I have family that are so I’ll get them to check it out, thank you for that information. Could I ask if you know where they were posted so I know what look for. 

That is as I feared, I can’t possibly see how it won’t have a negative impact for people that enjoy the sun 

Have a look at the following thread, a couple of pictures of the canopies.

36 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

If any of you are on Facebook some pictures have been posted of the new canopies - I’m afraid most people weren’t happy with them.

Do you know on which P&O FB as there’s more than one & I can’t find them?!

Or are you referring to the 2 pictures already posted?

Thank you.

We received the email this morning but we have been aware of the canopies since early summer when someone on here posted about maintenance coming into their cabin to measure up for the new canopies. I will see if I can find the post. 

Originally posted on 24/4 under another thread called Britannia Refit

Edited by Rupert2251
Add to