Advice needed: best way to spend one day in Naples

CrazyJess

We will have one day in Naples. For both of us it will be the first visit to this city. What will be the best way to spend our day? We both like history and museums but I’m not ready to spent the whole day in museums. One or maximum two museums will be enough for me. My DH wants to see Amalfi, I’m crazy about beaches… We both love pizza 😊  The only thing which we both certainly don’t want is spending the entire day on a ship tour with 40 other people on the same bus. Forgot to mention: It will be in early October.

Any suggestions? Thank you all so much! Jess.

Amalfi is quite a way from Naples and the roads are very narrow and slow. If you want to visit Amalfi I would advise a ship trip to ensure you get back on time. Otherwise there is lots to do at this port, if you like history I would advise Pompeii or Herculaneum or both as these can easily be reached by train.  No good beaches in this area but you can get a ferry to the Isle if Capri which us very pretty. Just search this board and you will find loads of info.  Enjoy!

6 hours ago, CrazyJess said:

We will have one day in Naples. For both of us it will be the first visit to this city. What will be the best way to spend our day? We both like history and museums but I’m not ready to spent the whole day in museums. One or maximum two museums will be enough for me. My DH wants to see Amalfi, I’m crazy about beaches… We both love pizza 😊  The only thing which we both certainly don’t want is spending the entire day on a ship tour with 40 other people on the same bus. Forgot to mention: It will be in early October.

I also love beaches, but October in the Med is not the place for it. The average sea temperatures in the Naples area in October is 70F. 

https://www.seatemperature.org/europe/italy/naples-october.htm

And the beaches are not that nice.  You will find mostly small gravel beaches.  The sandier are really fine gray gravel. One of the largest would be in Amalfi, but all facilities are likely to be closed. The real sandy beaches would be 2 hours south of the Amalfi coast. 

https://www.positano.com/en/e/beaches-amalfi-coast

You might want to look for a private or shared excursion that takes you to Pompei and/or Herculaneum and to Amalfi.  This is easily doable in one day.  Check some reputable tour guides like Joe Bananas.

Don't overestimate how much you can do in only a few hours. Getting around the area also takes some time.

If you want to see the Amalfi Coast, I'd look for a private excursion on your roll call. It may or may not include Pompeii or Herculaneum however. That's a lot to squeeze into a day.

Alternatively, as I proposed to you on your other thread, you could easily visit Herculaneum and the Archaeological museum by doing it on your own and would still likely have time for a nice Neapolitan pizza (the original!) for lunch.

11 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Don't overestimate how much you can do in only a few hours. Getting around the area also takes some time.

If you want to see the Amalfi Coast, I'd look for a private excursion on your roll call. It may or may not include Pompeii or Herculaneum however. That's a lot to squeeze into a day.

Alternatively, as I proposed to you on your other thread, you could easily visit Herculaneum and the Archaeological museum by doing it on your own and would still likely have time for a nice Neapolitan pizza (the original!) for lunch.

It isn't clear if CrazyJess meant the Amalfi coast drive, or just the town of Amalfi.  If it is just the town they do have plenty of time for Ercolano/Pompei and Amalfi in one day in a private tour.  They could even add Ravello to the tour.   If not, your plan is best.

31 minutes ago, marazul said:

It isn't clear if CrazyJess meant the Amalfi coast drive, or just the town of Amalfi.  If it is just the town they do have plenty of time for Ercolano/Pompei and Amalfi in one day in a private tour.  They could even add Ravello to the tour.   If not, your plan is best.

Indeed -- I realize that I read "Amalfi" as short-hand for the Amalfi coast. 

But I still reiterate that one can only do so much in a day. Jess talks about beaches and Amalfi and museums in the plural....!

45 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Indeed -- I realize that I read "Amalfi" as short-hand for the Amalfi coast. 

But I still reiterate that one can only do so much in a day. Jess talks about beaches and Amalfi and museums in the plural....!

You are right.

Reality will temper expectations...

17 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

True! I want to do too much in one day 😂 The more I read about Naples, Herculaneum, Pompei, Amalfi as well as Amalfi Coast, the more I want to see all these sights.

I’ve already realized that I won’t have any  time for beaches….  I wish I had  a week there! Thank you all for the ideas. I still have more than a week ahead of my cruise, so I still have some time to make plans 😊😊😊 Thank you all so much!

Jess

Thank you for the idea! I guess it will take the whole day and we won’t have time for anything else… Any way I will discuss it with my DH. Are there any great places for pizza in Naples itself? Yes, I’ve checked Tripadvisor. The problem is my DH doesn’t like “tourist places”. On another side I want to have a real pizza… something to remember…Any suggestions?  Thanks! Jess.  

Stay away from places with laminated menus with pictures of the food and descriptions in 5 languages. 

You are in Naples,  you will have real pizza. Even better in Sorrento (I know I just started an argument 😁). Just make sure it is made with mozzarella di buffala.

16 hours ago, CrazyJess said:

Thank you for the idea! I guess it will take the whole day and we won’t have time for anything else… Any way I will discuss it with my DH. Are there any great places for pizza in Naples itself? Yes, I’ve checked Tripadvisor. The problem is my DH doesn’t like “tourist places”. On another side I want to have a real pizza… something to remember…Any suggestions?  Thanks! Jess.  

These pizzerias belong to an association that certifies they use the proper local ingredients (e.g., the best tomatoes, cheese, etc.) and are trained to the standards of producing "authentic" neapolitan pizza: 

https://www.pizzanapoletana.org/en/associati

Click on any of the names on the list to find out more (e.g., location). 

Some of the names I hear mentioned often are Sorbillo, di Matteo, Starita a Materdei....

Edited to add: Oops sorry, the link doesn't retain the search info. Just type Napoli into the city box and hit "Search"...

Edited by cruisemom42

On 9/16/2019 at 1:39 AM, CrazyJess said:

Hire a private car, pricey but then you don't need to run at the pace of the of the slowest bus ship tour, you already seem to know that that is like.

As with most cruisers only a day, and another poster said you must make choices.  IMHO  Pompeii and Amalfi coast are a must.  Even though when I went I was with three kids, when I show them the pictures a decade later they admit, wow that was worth it.  But while driving and driving they were less appreciative, LOL

For me personally so many great museums you simply can't visit the best in each city, and then must choose.   

On 9/19/2019 at 6:09 PM, chipmaster said:

On 9/19/2019 at 6:09 PM, chipmaster said:

Hire a private car, pricey but then you don't need to run at the pace of the of the slowest bus ship tour, you already seem to know that that is like.

As with most cruisers only a day, and another poster said you must make choices.  IMHO  Pompeii and Amalfi coast are a must.  Even though when I went I was with three kids, when I show them the pictures a decade later they admit, wow that was worth it.  But while driving and driving they were less appreciative, LOL

Well, that sounds good to me! I will check the prices…. You say Pompeii and Amalfi coast are a must… When you say Amalfi coast do you mean just a drive between  Naples and Amalfi? Shall we stop at some aprticular places? Is Amalfi itself very pretty as well?

The Amalfi coast drive is between Positano and Amalfi, although it can go as far as Salerno.  It is best if it also includes Ravello, a beautiful town above Amalfi.  You go over the hills from Sorrento to Positano to get there, or from Amalfi inland.  It is best to drive it from Positano to Amalfi because you will be on the sea side of the road.  Positano, Amalfi and Ravello are beautiful towns.  All different.  Look at the map:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/84011+Amalfi,+SA,+Italy/@40.7295165,14.4986876,11.5z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x133b95b54921c5d1:0x151a2c999fb2aca9!8m2!3d40.6340026!4d14.6026805?hl=en

By hiring a private car, it should be a car AND driver, not a DIY rental car.  You would not enjoy doing the driving on your first trip there!  It is a narrow, winding 2-lane road half way up the side of the mountain.  For the most part it is mountain on one side and cliffs plunging down to the sea on the other.  

Look at this youtube video: 

They are driving the "wrong way"from Amalfi to Positano.  You should be going in the opposite direction to enjoy the views. 

Get in touch with any of the reputable tour companies and arrange for a private tour which consists of a minivan and driver.  If you also decide on Pompei, ask them to hire a guide to see the ruins.  Drivers are very informative as you drive along, but they are not licensed guides inside Pompei.

Edited by marazul

8 hours ago, CrazyJess said:

Well, that sounds good to me! I will check the prices…. You say Pompeii and Amalfi coast are a must… When you say Amalfi coast do you mean just a drive between  Naples and Amalfi? Shall we stop at some aprticular places? Is Amalfi itself very pretty as well?

See Marzul's post above, for what you should consider and what we did.   We used RIL a few years ago, actually a decade ago almost.  They had a couple van's right at the gangway waiting for us as we got off and off we went.   Sadly there is a lot of driving and the traffic can be crazy so you can choose to do Pompeii early and keep it short for buffer for the long drive to and back from the coast, or do the coast first and come back.  If I had to do it again, I might consider doing the coast first, but in the summer it is crazy hot so we did Pompeii first.       The drive is beautiful, including a wonderful lunch overlooking and then back.   It was a lot of driving for a few views and stops to die for.     To some this sounds crazy but I'd do it again if I every do this trip. 

Thank you! Thank you both for the info! My DH is an excellent driver. Driving is not a problem for us even on such a road. So I hope he will drive on the way to Amalfi and I'll drive on the way back. I really enjoy driving! We obviously will need DIY rental car. We've already rented a car in Europe. Last time we used  Europcar. I’ve checked  they have offices in Naples and one is pretty close to the port. Will it be a good idea to use  them? Or are there any other companies you can suggest? … may be better prices? Thanks! Jess.

Europcar is fine.  We rent through them all the time.  I don't know if Sixt is available in Naples, but that is also a good company.

We have driven on the Amalfi coast road a few times while staying in the area.  We also had a driver taking us on the drive while on a cruise and we didn't want to bother renting a car.  For a first timer, we strongly recommend a driver.  The point of not doing the driving is that the driver will be too busy driving and will not be able to enjoy the views.  Also, in some places, like Positano, where parking is difficult, it is easier for the driver to drop you off while you walk down into the town.  It saves you a lot of time and aggravation.  If you enjoy driving, that is a fun, hair-raising at times, interesting drive.  If you both want to maximize your time, see the Amalfi coast and visit the towns, have someone else do the driving.  

Edited by marazul

Just wondering if there are tour guides at the Port of Naples that you could hire when you get off the ship???

Not sure if I want to be committed to a full day of touring  and would like to just do a few hours??  Any suggestions???

22 hours ago, salin said:

Just wondering if there are tour guides at the Port of Naples that you could hire when you get off the ship???

Not sure if I want to be committed to a full day of touring  and would like to just do a few hours??  Any suggestions???

I'm not sure about tour operators but there are usually taxis hoping to get full and half-day fares, some provide some information and commentary but highly dependent on individual motivation and language skills.

It's best to have some idea of what you want to do. The Amalfi Coast really requires most of a day. You can visit either of the two major archaeological sites, Pompeii or Herculaneum in a half day (perhaps a long-ish half day for Pompeii, which is larger and also a bit farther from Naples).

Capri is easily possible on one's own, no need for a tour.

Is there something you are leaning toward?

On 9/22/2019 at 5:54 PM, marazul said:

Europcar is fine.  We rent through them all the time.  I don't know if Sixt is available in Naples, but that is also a good company.

We have driven on the Amalfi coast road a few times while staying in the area.  We also had a driver taking us on the drive while on a cruise and we didn't want to bother renting a car.  For a first timer, we strongly recommend a driver.  The point of not doing the driving is that the driver will be too busy driving and will not be able to enjoy the views.  Also, in some places, like Positano, where parking is difficult, it is easier for the driver to drop you off while you walk down into the town.  It saves you a lot of time and aggravation.  If you enjoy driving, that is a fun, hair-raising at times, interesting drive.  If you both want to maximize your time, see the Amalfi coast and visit the towns, have someone else do the driving.  

Thank you! I’ve checked both companies: Europecar and Sixt. Both of them operate from Naples Central Train Station. Prices are similar. It looks like we can get a vehicle with manual transmission for about 75 euros  and an automatic transmission car for 110 -120 euros. Stick will work for both of us, so we can save here. I love driving! It won’t be even a choice for me!

…. Oops…one small problem…. I have to convince MDH 😊 Wish me luck 😊

Jess