Free Sparkling wine

geovet

Singapore customs were doing a roaring trade on this on our cruise last year, if they found your ships bubbly while scanning the bags it was confiscated, they must have had a good party that night with all the bottles I saw lined up.

Worst of all I had 400 cigarettes for my neighbour in my bag I had already already brought into Singapore undetected once before departure, after they found the booze they also spotted the cigarettes and as all cigarette imports are banned we had those confiscated too.

I was fuming, all because we put a stupid bottle of bubbly in our bag. 

The truth of course, it was my own stupidity for not checking the new tobacco regulations which was probably printed on the ships departure paperwork along with the no alcohol from Malaysia rule.

Edited by ziggyuk

I expected the champagne to be awful, based on what I had read.  I asked the steward for a bucket of ice the first day, added water to the bucket and chilled it down overnight.  I got orange juice the next morning and mixed a couple of mimosas, which were good.  Then I decided I should try the champagne straight just to see how it was.  I was very pleasantly surprised.  It was quite good.  The taste was something on par to a Korbel Brut, IMHO.  I didn't mix it with orange juice after that.  I also brought my own champagne stopper and kept the bottle in the mini fridge going forward.  I may be in the minority, but I enjoyed this perk.

On 9/18/2019 at 8:36 AM, ziggyuk said:

Singapore customs were doing a roaring trade on this on our cruise last year, if they found your ships bubbly while scanning the bags it was confiscated, they must have had a good party that night with all the bottles I saw lined up.

Worst of all I had 400 cigarettes for my neighbour in my bag I had already already brought into Singapore undetected once before departure, after they found the booze they also spotted the cigarettes and as all cigarette imports are banned we had those confiscated too.

I was fuming, all because we put a stupid bottle of bubbly in our bag. 

The truth of course, it was my own stupidity for not checking the new tobacco regulations which was probably printed on the ships departure paperwork along with the no alcohol from Malaysia rule.

We are cruising in February on a cruise that disembarks in Singapore. We are staying in an owners suite. Part of the perks is three bottles of liquor. Can we not bring them home?  We have the drink package and are not heavy drinkers.

4 minutes ago, Ticatraveler said:

We are cruising in February on a cruise that disembarks in Singapore. We are staying in an owners suite. Part of the perks is three bottles of liquor. Can we not bring them home?  We have the drink package and are not heavy drinkers.

I depends where your last port is, if you enter Singapore from Malaysia by land sea or air (even transiting) you can't take any alcohol into Singapore.

This only applies if you last port before entry was Malaysia, other countries are the normal 1L spirit per person.

I have no idea why this rule exists but believe me they were well clued up that our ship had just come from Malaysia and they had bottles of that cheep fizz lined up in rows next to the inspection area.

I know you did not ask but cigarettes are banned wherever you come from, you can have one open pack maximum, if you want to keep anything above one pack its a US$10 per pack tax to pay, in our case it was hand them over or pay $200 tax.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ticatraveler said:

Assuming this article is correct (and with how strict Singapore is I'd want it verified in several places)

Bringing Alcohol Into Singapore

Travelers are given a duty-free allowance for up to three liters of alcohol in one of these possible combinations:

• 1 liter of spirits, 1 liter of wine, and 1 liter of beer
  • 2 liters of wine, 1 liter of beer
  • 1 liter of wine, 2 liters of beer

But there is a catch: you must be at least 18 years old, have spent at least 48 hours outside of Singapore, and can't be arriving from Malaysia. That last stipulation causes some travelers to get busted.

If you arrive with more than one bottle of spirits, you’ll need to go through the Red Channel and pay a steep duty tax.

https://www.tripsavvy.com/how-to-stay-out-of-trouble-in-singapore-1458521

• Like 1

The wine is quite dry with some citrus notes.  If I'm with a group, I take the bottle to breakfast one morning & ask the server to exchange it for a cold one -- they are happy to do this.  Then we have a mimosa & poinsettia party.  

On 9/18/2019 at 2:44 PM, WAHMto5 said:

We always bring it home and make mimosas with it. Not bad mixed. 

I had not realised the quality of the wine.  So since we had the beverage package and had travelled to the ship by train, I took it home.  I let it settle from the journey and thought I would do a post-cruise mimosa.  I pulled out the cork, it hit the ceiling and bounced back smashing one of the glasses that I had set out.  I spent 15 minutes clearing up the pieces of glass and then tasted what I had lugged home. 

This cruise, we left the bottle in the cabin.  

On 9/18/2019 at 10:40 AM, disneylover89 said:

I really with there was an option to get a few water bottles instead.

Absolutely.  Or a 6 pak of Pepsi.  I have made the suggestion both on-board and afterwards to corporate; on one cruise I tried to switch (I can't drink it because of allergies, so a medical issue, not just a preference).  Nothing.  So I either leave it behind or bring it home if I'm visiting friends/family on my way home.

• Like 1