Sunrise not going to Bermuda but Carnival comes through!

madamerkf

On 9/19/2019 at 2:02 PM, mnp75 said:

Leaving on the Breeze this Saturday and hopefully make it to Bermuda! 

Um ... That would take a big change of schedule -- we're scheduled to go south, Amber, St. Thomas, San Juan, Grand Turk.

See you on board!

19 minutes ago, Jamman54 said:

Patti and I are just fine! We are in Halifax today. The first time we have been off the ship since we left Charleston last Wednesday. 😀

You did not have to get off in Brooklyn for the turn around?  Realize it would be brief, but interested in the process.  That is a fairly long time, how is the weather in Halifax?

14 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

You did not have to get off in Brooklyn for the turn around?  Realize it would be brief, but interested in the process.  That is a fairly long time, how is the weather in Halifax?

Hey Jimbo! Yes we did have to leave the ship for about 10 minutes to present ourselves to customs. It was a fairly long walk. I was surprised since there were over 50 B2B 'ers , with quite a few having mobility issues,  so I thought customs would have come on board, but they made us walk. Wound up having the ship to ourselves for about 45 minutes before boarding began. Weather in Halifax is cloudy and 67 degrees. 😎

• Like 1

There was talk that we wouldn't have to go through customs since we didn't visit a foreign port, but that wasn't the case. Also, talked to the Captain again at yesterday's Diamond Party, and Carnival paid a hefty fine for violating the Jones Act.😎

43 minutes ago, Jamman54 said:

There was talk that we wouldn't have to go through customs since we didn't visit a foreign port, but that wasn't the case. Also, talked to the Captain again at yesterday's Diamond Party, and Carnival paid a hefty fine for violating the Jones Act.😎

Was wondering if they got hit with a Jones act fine for only taking us to Charleston!  

Saw you and Patti around the ship and surprisingly NOT at the Red Frog!  I felt weird being like heyyyy I read your reviews on Cruise Critic all the time.  Looking forward to reading another NE/CA one if you do it. Your last one helped me prepare for our first NE/CA cruise. 

50 minutes ago, BroadwayGirl said:

Was wondering if they got hit with a Jones act fine for only taking us to Charleston!  

Saw you and Patti around the ship and surprisingly NOT at the Red Frog!  I felt weird being like heyyyy I read your reviews on Cruise Critic all the time.  Looking forward to reading another NE/CA one if you do it. Your last one helped me prepare for our first NE/CA cruise. 

You should have stopped us and said hello. Not weird at all. We love meeting new people especially those that have read our reviews. :classic_cool:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jamman54 said:

Pardon my ignorance, but what is the Jones Act.  Also, did you get any update on the poor soul that had to be airlifted off the ship?  Enjoy your northern cruise.

7 hours ago, Kellyann said:

Pardon my ignorance, but what is the Jones Act.  Also, did you get any update on the poor soul that had to be airlifted off the ship?  Enjoy your northern cruise.

Merchant maritime act.  Put in place in 1920 on transportation of goods (in this case people) from one US port to another without a foreign port (has to be a US sovereignty ship) which for major cruise lines there is only one that services Hawaii. All foreign ships must make a stop in a foreign port (such as an island) or pay a fine.  This can be waived due to a a severe storm (like a hurricane).  

9 hours ago, Kellyann said:

Jimbo gave you the information about the Jones Act above. My guess, not confirmed, is that Carnival was fined because they could have initially gone north to Canada, or made a run to Nassau. They tried to give the passengers a day in Bermuda and got burned. That call was made by fleet operations in Miami and not the Captain.

The crew member that was airlifted was rumored to be a pregnant crew member that gave birth prematurely. It is said that both are doing fine. Again, not confirmed. Crew are instructed not to give out any information like this, but I do have a good source on board that I will ask. :classic_cool:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/22/2019 at 11:14 PM, Kellyann said:

I was on this cruise to almost nowhere.  On the one hand I think Carnival did an excellent job reimbursing us 100% in Future Cruise Credits because it wasn't their fault that a hurricane was pounding Bermuda.  My problem with either the Captain or Carnival Corporate is putting us through a torturous 24 hours under the illusion that we were going to Bermuda.  The result of the howling winds and 18' seas caused so many to get sick and for us to spend the entire night in fear.  Even if we had survived and arrived in Bermuda, there was very limited power so what was the point.  Everyone knew that a major hurricane was headed there before we even left Brooklyn, so why didn't they take us to a warm island.  So we bounced around the Atlantic from Wednesday to Sunday. 

I was on this cruise too and agree that the conditions on Wednesday evening into Thursday were extreme - even DH who usually doesn't have issues had motion sickness Thursday and my mal debarquement was extreme when we got back.

Why didn't they take us to a warm island?  We were too far north for much but Freeport (which obviously wasn't available) for the length of our cruise, and even if we could make Nassau they probably didn't have space with others being diverted there plus the regularly scheduled ships.

We were very surprised Carnival went to Charleston, that decision to me meant there was no other option.  Once we headed south there was no time to instead hit Canada.  I personally would have been fine with a CA cruise, but our facebook group was livid at the thought (I don't think most of them were any happier with the final result either 😉 ) plus it did seem there were a lot of B2B and I'm glad they got a different port.

Charleston was actually a pleasant surprise and offered similar opportunities as Bermuda if you eliminated the water activities (that likely wouldn't be available due to Humberto regardless).  There was great shopping, history, architecture, nature, walkable port, nice weather, and friendly people.  We had a great time, although it would have been nice to have more information for planning (might have taken the water taxi and seen the sub rather than just walking).

We are excited to take a Journey's cruise next year with our credit, but it by no means is a "free" cruise.  Per the contract we agreed to Carnival didn't have to offer anything, so we are grateful for what we received.  It also is a smart decision by Carnival that they will likely make money from (which I have no problem with a business doing).

On 9/23/2019 at 12:26 PM, Kellyann said:

Obviously, my post didn't "make anybody happy" especially Jimbo.  No, I wouldn't expect them to move islands north, nor would I expect them to displace other cruisers.  Many folks on this cruise had packed warmer wear in case we headed north.  Just maybe they could have taken us to Key West, Port Canaveral, Amber Cove, I'm thinking beach here.  In your tirade you must have missed my message that I was grateful for what they gave us.  BTW, I'm so grateful to you for clearing up the fact that the Serenity "water" was a hot tub and not a pool, some things are WAY too important to not clarify.

Key West and Amber Cove are farther than Nassau, so there is no way we could have made it.  We could possibly have done Port Canaveral, but there would have been no time for a foreign port (not that we got one with SC, but it was theoretically possible).  There just weren't many options for a 6 day from NY.

On 9/25/2019 at 8:48 AM, Jamman54 said:

Jimbo gave you the information about the Jones Act above. My guess, not confirmed, is that Carnival was fined because they could have initially gone north to Canada, or made a run to Nassau. They tried to give the passengers a day in Bermuda and got burned. That call was made by fleet operations in Miami and not the Captain.

The crew member that was airlifted was rumored to be a pregnant crew member that gave birth prematurely. It is said that both are doing fine. Again, not confirmed. Crew are instructed not to give out any information like this, but I do have a good source on board that I will ask. :classic_cool:

I saw on a Coast Guard FB post that it was a premature birth and mother and baby were fine.  I have no reason to think it wasn't a crew member as stated, especially since passengers can't sail past 24 weeks.  I was a little surprised to realize crew could sail that far along (I'm not aware of many premature labor that early surviving, especially under those conditions).  I was very glad to read that it was a happy occasion though and not a serious illness.