Military Appeciation Event

azcruzers

Primarily, the Military Appreciation Event is an occasion where CCL honors military members (Active Duty, Retired, Reservist, National Guard from all service branches) and their families for their service to our country.  Anyone can attend the event.  It is normally held during the late morning hours, but may be scheduled for early afternoon, depending upon the ship and other activities scheduled.  The event is normally held in the main showroom.  Activities onboard during Veteran's Day are also held, and vary ship to ship.  We have attended several of these events while cruising on CCL.  They are very moving moments, during which our military members and their spouses/significant others/family members/friends share their experiences during their times of service.  CCL also has a slide show, which is presented during the events. 

• Like 2

The event is hosted by the CD.  They mention each war/police action and ask who was involved with it.  They introduce each branch of the service and ask those members past and present to stand. Then they play the anthem for that branch and most sing along. 

They then pass the microphone around for anyone that wants to say something.  When everyone that wants to say something is done, they invite all of the service members to come up on the stage for a group photo. As the members are coming off of the stage, the CD shakes your hand and thanks you for your service.  The following day, the photo is available for purchase. 

I agree with Zingy2 that it is a very moving event.  Well worth attending.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

Right back to you! I am still trying to get used to the thanks, it wasn't always that way as we all know.

I know what you mean.  I never know how to react to the thanks.  "Your welcome" always seems lame but it's the only thing I can come up with.

40 minutes ago, RWolver672 said:

I know what you mean.  I never know how to react to the thanks.  "Your welcome" always seems lame but it's the only thing I can come up with.

I've tried different expressions but the discomfort exists with all of them- "it was an honor", "it was my pleasure", "thank you for your appreciation" are some that I've used that come to mind.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

I've tried different expressions but the discomfort exists with all of them- "it was an honor", "it was my pleasure", "thank you for your appreciation" are some that I've used that come to mind.

Having shared my husband and two sons, we are a huge military family. I always get emotional when the response is "it was an honor".

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, louanne93 said:

Having shared my husband and two sons, we are a huge military family. I always get emotional when the response is "it was an honor".

Truth be told I get a little choked up myself when I use it. The younger me would be laughing at the older me.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sparks1093 said:

Truth be told I get a little choked up myself when I use it. The younger me would be laughing at the older me.

Right?!?!?!?!?!?! My husband is the same! 

Truth be told, nowadays there are so few kids enlisting that I feel like when they say it, they mean it deep down inside. Like my kids, you have to have a deep love for your country to enlist now. SO few kids are doing it! 😞 

• Like 1

Thanks for the Q&A on this thread.  I was under the impression that these events were JUST for veterans.  My DW always goes when they are held and never mentioned that Spouses and Families could attend.

Maybe she just wants an hour or so away from me!!!

21 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

Same here.  I still get chocked up when I see those videos of parents surprising their kids at school when they secretly come home for leave and I was discharged from the Marines 47 years ago.

21 hours ago, louanne93 said:

Right?!?!?!?!?!?! My husband is the same! 

Truth be told, nowadays there are so few kids enlisting that I feel like when they say it, they mean it deep down inside. Like my kids, you have to have a deep love for your country to enlist now. SO few kids are doing it! 😞 

It's a shame that so few kids say the Pledge of Allegiance at school any more.  Patriotism isn't really taught like it use to be.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RWolver672 said:

Same here.  I still get chocked up when I see those videos of parents surprising their kids at school when they secretly come home for leave and I was discharged from the Marines 47 years ago.

It's a shame that so few kids say the Pledge of Allegiance at school any more.  Patriotism isn't really taught like it use to be.

My son that is in the Navy used to get into trouble at school for wearing a USA t-shirt (he wore USA flag shirts ALL the time) on Cinco De Mayo. He purposely would enhance GOD bless you when someone sneezed when he was in elementary school. He was a trouble maker but I am glad he is one of America's finest! I feel safe when he is at work (how sad is that!).

• Like 1

I wanted to be clear.  This event is appropriate for anyone to attend?  My DH (of 30 years) is from a military family.  His father retired from the Army as an Sergeant Major (E9) and served in WWII, Korea, and Vietnam.  His mother was a war bride from Austria.  This would be meaningful from him, but when I mentioned it he seemed to feel it would not be appropriate for us to attend.