Tamales for the Cruise??? Mom is wackadoodle

Silversmiff

Ok so its a family tradition for a lot of folks to make and eat embarrassing amounts of tamales during the Thanksgiving and Christmas holiday season.  If we merely brought them on board, my mother is convinced we just need to ask and the nice folks in the galley will gladly heat up some tamales for our family, extended family, and friends for our epic Christmas cruise celebration.   What are your experiences and thoughts?  .......she is serious.

14 minutes ago, Silversmiff said:

Ok so its a family tradition for a lot of folks to make and eat embarrassing amounts of tamales during the Thanksgiving and Christmas holiday season.  If we merely brought them on board, my mother is convinced we just need to ask and the nice folks in the galley will gladly heat up some tamales for our family, extended family, and friends for our epic Christmas cruise celebration.   What are your experiences and thoughts?  .......she is serious.

No, they will not prepare food brought on board by guests.  It would be a huge health regulation violation.  

• Like 7

Okay, I am a mama, and a grandma, and a great grandma, so I understand your moms' intense desire to retain certain holiday traditions. I am sure that they will NOT allow her to bring tamales on board. BUT, with a little creativity, I'll bet there are there are still ways that she can maintain this tradition while on a cruise. One idea might be to check out restaurants in the diferent ports, and see if some small restaurant will have the tamales waiting there for you when the ship docks. OR maybe do a bit of researching and find a port with a restaurant that will allow your mom to cook and serve the tamales on site [this would not be cheap, but this is very important to your mom.] Cheapest solution would be to bring a bunch of canned tamales [ I am bringing all sorts of non-perishables on my cruise] and your mom gets to hear how these canned tamales are nothing ompared to hers for several hundred times over an hour. One more thing, if everyone, including mom, have a great sense of humor, bring boxes of red tamale candies, and eat them together on Christmas Eve as a symbolic gesture of the importance of holiday tamales. I don't know if you like any of these ideas, but they might trigger ideas for a happy solution for everyone.

• Like 3

Just now, Elaine5715 said:

No, they will not prepare food brought on board by guests.  It would be a huge health regulation violation.  

Plus they don’t want to be responsible in case the guest comes into contact with some sort of illness. There’s no way for them to guarantee and know for sure he condition of the food items brought onboard.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, vicky3vicky said:

. One more thing, if everyone, including mom, have a great sense of humor, bring boxes of red tamale candies, and eat them together on Christmas Eve as a symbolic gesture of the importance of holiday tamales.

This just may be the best response I have ever read on one of these boards.  Hot Tamales --  what an innovative solution to this problem!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, vicky3vicky said:

OR maybe do a bit of researching and find a port with a restaurant that will allow your mom to cook and serve the tamales on site [this would not be cheap, but this is very important to your mom.]

17 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Not only is non-factory packaged food prohibited from being brought onboard, but no one in the crew will prepare this, no matter how nicely you ask.

As chengkp75 said, no one will allow this no matter how nicely you ask.  Restaurants don't allow just anyone to come in to their kitchens.  Not to mention if they did allow it, would they have the ingredients to make them.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RWolver672 said:

As chengkp75 said, no one will allow this no matter how nicely you ask.  Restaurants don't allow just anyone to come in to their kitchens.  Not to mention if they did allow it, would they have the ingredients to make them."

Depends on the port and the restaurant. Especially a small, privately owned restaurant.Particularly in areas where the majority of businesses are part of the "underground economy." 

Edited by vicky3vicky
added

If you're going to Mexico or South America on any of your ports, it should be possible to find some tamales. Check yelp. If not the canned tamale idea isn't the -worst- idea I have ever heard. Would definitely keep the tradition alive. OR you could have some fresh ones for breakfast on departure day.