Howl at the Moon - "Pay for Play"

Ciref

On 9/23/2019 at 4:41 PM, Ciref said:

I just got off the Escape and had a wonderful cruise.  However, I had an issue with the piano players doing the Howl at the Moon Show and wanted to see if I am over reacting or others feel as I do. 

I was very surprised to see guests paying to have their song requests performed next.  I was offended by the multiple times the two pianists solicited the audience to pay them up to $30.00 so that they would immediately play their requested song.  I understand they work hard and I am happy to tip them for their efforts but frankly this "pay for play" soliciting was offensive.  

Do you agree?

Eric

I totally disagree with your take on this.

I've been to several dueling piano shows in NY since my sailing on the Escape where I thoroughly enjoyed their dueling piano show and it is done the same way everywhere. It's just the way it's done and I believe it makes things a little more efficient.

As others have said, you can just sit there and enjoy the show or, if you choose, you can put in requests with or without $ to hear songs you'd like to hear.

There was no pressure and we visited the show 3 nights on our cruise.

Some people gave a couple of dollars with their request and some gave a lot more. I definitely saw some 20's being given.

It was all in good fun and was one of the highlights of our Escape cruise.

4 hours ago, Oakman58 said:

Yes, yes, terms and conditions.  When it comes to Howl at the Moon, rules don't apply.  When I was on the Epic the HATM piano players actually told the audience that those with the UBP should be providing them with drinks.  Everyone knows whats going on including the bartenders and no one loses their beverage package.

Loosen up and learn to have a little fun in life.

Similiar to servers incorrectly interpreting the SDP (one app, one side, one dessert)... T&Cs are put in place to protect all those involved (company and customer)...... so asking if a Howl at the Moon exception is written somewhere is not a lack of fun or not loosening up..... it's being responsible to know what is allowed and not allowed so that there are no "misunderstandings"......  

Lighten up Francis 

On 9/23/2019 at 4:41 PM, Ciref said:

I just got off the Escape and had a wonderful cruise.  However, I had an issue with the piano players doing the Howl at the Moon Show and wanted to see if I am over reacting or others feel as I do. 

I was very surprised to see guests paying to have their song requests performed next.  I was offended by the multiple times the two pianists solicited the audience to pay them up to $30.00 so that they would immediately play their requested song.  I understand they work hard and I am happy to tip them for their efforts but frankly this "pay for play" soliciting was offensive.  

Do you agree?

Eric

That's how it always has been on land based Howl-At-The-Moon venues, and usually people add their songs in with a small tip...  To each their own but certainly not "offensive" in any case.

On 9/24/2019 at 3:45 PM, PelicanBill said:

Sometimes it's part of the fun.  Someone paid $1 to play "Look at this stuff, isn't it neat?" from Little Mermaid.  Someone slapped down $5 to stop.  Original requester put down $10 to continue.  $20 to stop.  it was funny.

This is something that would offend me extremely. At least every song should get played completely. I go there because i want to hear some great piano music and not a medley of 3400 songs each played for 10 seconds because of some auction-style stuff going on.

Although i absolutely don`t like this "pay for play" -model i can accept that requests are played with priority if there is a small tip.But if the whole thing gets out of control and becomes a battle then  - for me - the fun ends immediately.

21 minutes ago, CruiseMH said:

This is something that would offend me extremely. At least every song should get played completely. I go there because i want to hear some great piano music and not a medley of 3400 songs each played for 10 seconds because of some auction-style stuff going on.

Although i absolutely don`t like this "pay for play" -model i can accept that requests are played with priority if there is a small tip.But if the whole thing gets out of control and becomes a battle then  - for me - the fun ends immediately.

I don't think you understand the concept of a HATM or a Dueling Piano bar.  If you want to hear songs played completely then a piano bar like Shaker's would be a better place to enjoy piano music.  When I go to HATM I want it to be wild, a bit crazy, funny, and a lot of interaction with the audience.  On my Sep 8th cruise on the Breakaway the Howl at the Moon show was exactly that.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Oakman58 said:

I don't think you understand the concept of a HATM or a Dueling Piano bar.  If you want to hear songs played completely then a piano bar like Shaker's would be a better place to enjoy piano music.  When I go to HATM I want it to be wild, a bit crazy, funny, and a lot of interaction with the audience.  On my Sep 8th cruise on the Breakaway the Howl at the Moon show was exactly that.

I`ve been on the Epic two years ago and LOVED HATM.And yes, not every song was played completely,but at least 60-70 % of it.

And in the post i`m referring to it sounded like they played the songs only 20 or 30 seconds...and that why would annoy me,especially if i payed for it(which i wouldn`t do)

21 hours ago, CruiseMH said:

You need to visit one on land to understand the full concept ...  its quite a bit of fun...  

Every dueling piano bar I’ve been to takes tips to get a song played faster/first, even Disney Worlds Jellyrolls.

For me, I enjoy the music, especially if the performers are good, but it’s also the crowd interaction that really makes it fun.

Edited by justhappy
  • Like 1

Ive been to HATM on land and sea.  I do not have a problem with it.  This is how they make their money.  I witnessed someone drop $50 to stop the Michigan fight song.  Up tp the crowd if they want to do it or not.  I personally requested Don't Stop Believing and they asked if anyone would pay $10 to stop them from playing "Journey by Journey".  I found out later by a regular they do this more for songs that are requested all the time.  This is just my own experience from being at the one on land a couple of times.  I loved it when we were on the Escape a couple years ago.  I am hoping to get on the Breakaway and take it in again.

I am definitely in the minority here.  I appreciate everyone's comments.  You all have altered my opinion.  I will enjoy the show on future cruises understanding that this is how the majority of cruisers feel.  However, I am still not paying for my requests! 😉

• Like 3

On 9/26/2019 at 8:15 PM, cliffd64 said:

You need to visit one on land to understand the full concept ...  its quite a bit of fun...  

If there would be a HATM in Germany or at least Europe i would go there very often. 😉

Edited by CruiseMH