Bayonne/Cape Liberty parking

BeeSkip

Hello cruisers,

i searched the forums and and did not find the info I need.

i know there is a multilevel parking lot at the Bayonne cape liberty terminal.   Does anyone know the daily parking fee?  Do they have the machines to pay before leaving the lot?  Do we droff off luggage first then park then make way to cruise terminal for check in?  How long do you think this takes?

thank you all,

Bee

It's super-convenient. It's $22/day and as I recall from last year, I'm pretty sure you pay at a pay station before returning to your car after the cruise. Logistically, you'll drive to the port and first be directed to the terminal where you'll pull up curbside and stop briefly to just hand your checked luggage to the waiting porters and then you hop back in your car and drive around the corner to park in the garage. It's then a 5 minute walk from the garage to the check-in. Total time is maybe 10 minutes - although we got there early and I think traffic could be a factor later in the day.

38 minutes ago, BeeSkip said:

Hello cruisers,

i searched the forums and and did not find the info I need.

i know there is a multilevel parking lot at the Bayonne cape liberty terminal.   Does anyone know the daily parking fee?  Do they have the machines to pay before leaving the lot?  Do we droff off luggage first then park then make way to cruise terminal for check in?  How long do you think this takes?

thank you all,

Bee

When is your cruise? If it anytime before next summer, you should have no problem parking in the garage. However, from May until sometime in September there are three ships here. The Summit, two Royal Caribbean ships including starting next year the Oasis. A parking spot is guaranteed, but not necessarily in the garage. You  may get surface parking in one of the lots.

1 hour ago, BeeSkip said:

Thanks for your quick replies....wow 22.00 day high... yes it's NYC but still ...  any discounts ?     

No discounts.  It’s the only parking that we recommend in the highly urban Bayonne area and $22 is a very reasonable price.  The port is a secured area owned by the Port Authority of NY & NJ.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BeeSkip said:

Thanks for your quick replies....wow 22.00 day high... yes it's NYC but still ...  any discounts ?     

It’s not NYC.  It’s Bayonne, NJ.  😄  Parking at the Manhattan Cruise Terminal (which is in NYC) is $40/night. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 138east said:

No discounts.  It’s the only parking that we recommend in the highly urban Bayonne area and $22 is a very reasonable price.  The port is a secured area owned by the Port Authority of NY & NJ.

Carol, do you agree there will be enough parking available, even when Oasis and 3 other ships port there next May?

4 hours ago, allentownahoy said:

Carol, do you agree there will be enough parking available, even when Oasis and 3 other ships port there next May?

Yes, but it might not be next to the ship, but over beyond the old terminal. I’m guessing that shuttle buses would be involved.  The overflow parking for the old terminal was on the west side of that terminal where the bus pickup was and as I recall there’s lots of it.

When you drive out of the port past the old a terminal on Port Terminal Blvd and make a left onto 12th Street (look at Google maps), there is room to park to the right of 12th St.  Folks won’t be happy with it, but it’s there.  Remember the whole port area is secured by the Port Authority. There’s lots of room to leave cars on the peninsula.

Right now I’m planning to drive down for the Empress, so I guess I’ll find out next May unless I leave my car in Westchester and take public transit to the port.

8 hours ago, allentownahoy said:

I'm not Carol, but this is from the cruise terminal's own web site: " No reservations are necessary and parking is guaranteed."

http://www.cruiseliberty.com/directions_parking.html

They have the space to be able to guarantee parking.  What they can’t guarantee is the exact location of the parking, which could be further from the terminal than folks might like.  However, there is a long history of shuttle buses being used at Cape Liberty.  They had some when the garage first opened.  They can do it again if parking becomes tight with more ships.

There is a lot right across from the terminal that has overflow parking. I've seen shuttles there.

And there are many of us that wish parking was the low $22 a day. NYC is $40, Boston I think is around $35. Don't ask what it pays to park at Logan airport for a few days. There are times I think it costs me more to park than the flight.

4 hours ago, 138east said:

They have the space to be able to guarantee parking.  What they can’t guarantee is the exact location of the parking, which could be further from the terminal than folks might like.

I have to say that with several ships there this summer, including Anthem, I was pleasantly surprised a couple of weeks ago when we were able to park in the garage for our cruise on the Summit.  😀

9 hours ago, 138east said:

They have the space to be able to guarantee parking.  What they can’t guarantee is the exact location of the parking, which could be further from the terminal than folks might like.  However, there is a long history of shuttle buses being used at Cape Liberty.  They had some when the garage first opened.  They can do it again if parking becomes tight with more ships.

I do not care if I have to park farther away, just do not want to drive to the port and be turned away.

On 9/25/2019 at 4:53 PM, bayonnejoe said:

When is your cruise? If it anytime before next summer, you should have no problem parking in the garage. However, from May until sometime in September there are three ships here. The Summit, two Royal Caribbean ships including starting next year the Oasis. A parking spot is guaranteed, but not necessarily in the garage. You  may get surface parking in one of the lots.

Hi, a few years back before the garage, there used to be an issue with some cars getting spray painted from the nearby boatyard. If you have to park in an overflow area, is that still an issue?  

I parked in the overflow area in front of the terminal and had no issues with spray paint. It was a very well run operation.

Granted, I've only driven to Bayonne, Boston, and Manhattan, but of all the ports, Bayonne has it organized perfectly. Yes, you might be waiting in a line of cars, but you are first directed to drop off luggage. They have multiple places for this. You are then directed to park, and there is someone directing you either to the garage or the lot. When we got back, we got a porter who went with us to the car (and did get a nice tip) and it was simple leaving. In Boston, the parking isn't as convenient. In NYC, unless you want to drive around, you need to park first and haul your luggage.

We have not sailed out of Bayonne in years, when the Explorer was there.

At that time you parked on a open lot, walked to check-in, then took the buses to the ship.

We have a cruise booked out of Bayonne next summer.

Sounds as if everything has changed.....a parking garage? Multi-level (No more over spray)

I knew they have a real terminal now, can see it from Liberty State Park

I am going to do a search to learn about the new facilities.

May do a drive to the 911 memorial to get a up close look. (take it you can still do that?)

I take it they have handicapped parking.

2 hours ago, B-52 said:

We have not sailed out of Bayonne in years, when the Explorer was there.

At that time you parked on a open lot, walked to check-in, then took the buses to the ship.

We have a cruise booked out of Bayonne next summer.

Sounds as if everything has changed.....a parking garage? Multi-level (No more over spray)

I knew they have a real terminal now, can see it from Liberty State Park

I am going to do a search to learn about the new facilities.

May do a drive to the 911 memorial to get a up close look. (take it you can still do that?)

I take it they have handicapped parking.

Yes, it’s very different from the Explorer days.  You can drive to the 911 Memorial.  They have handicapped parking on the lowest level of the garage.  You can drop off luggage and park.  The walk from the garage is very close.  The bus to the ship is gone.