Alaska on the Explorer - 2021

So excited to see that the Explorer is doing the Alaska itineraries in 2021 so we booked it!  We went to Alaska in 2009 (first Regent cruise) and have wanted to do a return visit.  In January we were on the Explorer for the first time and we now have two future cruises booked on her. We just love that ship! I know that we would love the Splendor too and would love to sail on her too once we find the right itinerary.  

30 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

Don't do it!  Don't go to Alaska on a ship that has no outdoor forward facing decks; just a waste of money.

Marc

That’s a tad extreme, don’t you think?  I’m pretty sure there are ample venues for viewing & I'm sure the captain will pivot the ship where practical...

9 minutes ago, UUNetBill said:

That’s a tad extreme, don’t you think?  I’m pretty sure there are ample venues for viewing & I'm sure the captain will pivot the ship where practical...

Ample venues?  There is one, observation lounge, and they only wash the windows when they are scheduled, not when it is needed.  You and I sailed on same voyage from Barcelona to Venice in 2017, don't you remember how dirty the windows were during that cruise?

Marc

I’ve been on Navigator twice in Alaska.  Great having the outside areas rear and front.  We are going again on Explorer and plan on being on top open deck. Yes, unfortunately they are on sides.  It is not my first choice but we are doing it anyway.  Actually, Explorer is not my first choice for any cruise. 

1 hour ago, UUNetBill said:

Agree with you completely.  If an outside view is that important, book an aft suite and you can sit on your balcony and see everything (or go into - or next to the infinity pool which is is another great viewing place).  We will be doing the Panama Canal on Splendor and have no concerns whatsoever about viewing on that ship (or Explorer).  When we did the Panama Canal on Mariner (not our favorite ship by any means), most passengers were in the Observation Lounge.  The heat was so intense that standing outside for long periods of time was something that only a few people could do.  It would be the same in Alaska - the weather could be cold or rainy which would make outside viewing less than ideal.