Walk in showers

cucullus

My husband and I are sailing on Viking Star on 31st October this year to Cities of Antiquity and the Holy land. It is our first Viking Ocean cruise. We have booked a veranda cabin.  As my husband has several replaced joints we are always concerned in case he slips in the shower. I would be grateful to get feedback about the walk in shower. Is the floor really non slip or do they provide a non slip shower mat.

I have had two hip replacements and sailed on the Star.  It is a glass walled dedicated shower not an in bathtub shower like some cruise ships.  There is barely a threshold at its entrance.  I did not find the the floor slippery and there was a short handhold inside.  They give you a towel mat to step out onto.  Only problem i found is that the shower door when opened drips onto the mat making it much wetter then it needs to be.  Minor.

Having had one or two 'near falls' in walk-in showers, and not wanting to repeat the experience, I've bought an inexpensive pair of 'flip-flops', and I use these both in the shower and when going to a swimming pool.

Two benefits - chance of falling in either location minimised, and also chance of 'catching' a foot infection minimised.

I suppose they could also be used in locations where the footwear might innocently be 'lost' (such as on balconies or out on deck), having seen other folks fall asleep on loungers and the footwear somehow going overboard, using my flip-flops is a no-brainer as they are easy and inexpensive to replace.

• 3 months later...
On 9/29/2019 at 12:32 PM, cucullus said:

Thanks for checking while you are at sea. Enjoy the rest of your trip.

The suggestion of flip flops for the shower is also helpful. We had not thought of that. Lateral thinking!

I have always found my flip flops more slippery than my feet. Since my feet don’t fit in the provided shoes at the spa, I always take my flip flops for my Nordic time....but I always worry that either they are gonna slip on the wet floor or my wet feet are gonna slip in the flip flop or both!

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, flashfearless said:

Maybe I have a bad memory, or maybe it was just in the owner's suite shower, but isn't there like a teak seat inside the shower?  Guess I should go look at the online tours again.  

There’s no teak seat in the shower of the PV1.  Must be an owner’s suite feature. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Cyber Kat said:

There’s no teak seat in the shower of the PV1.  Must be an owner’s suite feature. 

I'm afraid you're right.  Pity.  I bet that they could find you a seat to put in there.  They are very accommodating.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...