Slipping a 20 to get on board quicker.

Nutsok

16 hours ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

Not sure how they handle this in the US - but over here I have to order a wheelchair to get a needed seat reservation.....no wheelchair = no seat reservation -> totally stupid but they tied this together on most airlines...🙄

But  I am not using the wheelchair once I got may boarding-pass with the seat....!🤔👍

Unless you're flying SouthWest or a couple of other "economy=cheap, no frills" airlines, you will get a  reserved seat.  And, if you are on SW, all a wheelchair gets you is to board first.  If you are flying standby or waitlist you get what you get but it is a seat assigned to you on other airlines.  My DH and son fly for work a lot and have the ability to move their seat before boarding, but only to available seats in their category.  I know what John's talking about.  People who get pushed in wheelchairs, boarded first and then sprint off the plane when they arrive at their destination.  

Edited by BND
  • Like 1

On 9/30/2019 at 9:05 AM, cured said:

First a caveat, I am sure that you have never made fun of the "miracle" kids or adults on a plane, but just wanted to give some insight why some people may seem to miraculously be cured on a plane, especially on flights to MCO.

I travel with an adaptive sports team, 20+ children and young adults with special needs. We travel all over the country, but mostly to MCO which hosts the biggest competitions along with the ICU and USASF World Championships (Cheer is now a provisional summer Olympic sport and the ICU World Championships are held in Orlando.) Disney has built a venue specifically for cheer competitions and cheer is one of the only sports, especially an Olympic sport, that includes multiple Special Ability divisions in their competitions. Most of our athletes can get out of their chair for very short distances but definitely cannot walk the long distances of the airport.  

They use their chairs to maneuver the distances of the airport. Since they need their chairs as soon as they get off the plane, they have to gate check them. The airlines make them pre-board since gate checking takes so much time and would hold up the regular boarding lines. They ride their chairs to plane door, gate check the chairs with the maintenance people who take the chairs, then walk to their seat. When the plane lands, they walk out the plane and wait just out the door for their chairs to be delivered.  The airlines make them pre-board so that they can gate check the chairs.  

Every parent I know would be more than happy to board during regular boarding but the airlines insist they pre-board because of the time it takes to gate check the chairs.

Most of the time it is not a "miracle" but chair bound people following airline rules.  I hate when I see our kids ridiculed because they can walk the few steps to the door of the plane to wait for their wheelchairs to be delivered. And yes, as we have waited for the chairs, I have heard many snide comments.

MCO has a large contingent of special needs athletes arriving constantly due to the numerous tournaments and competitions at Wide World of Sports.  Chances are you might have a larger group of people in chairs at any one time.  When we were there in May there were several hundred participants in the special abilities divisions from all over the world.  Many of our adult athletes, you would have no idea that they even have a disability and you would have no idea that they would be getting in their chairs so I can understand people thinking they may be "scamming" the system but in reality they are just following airline rules.

We are not talking about those that bring their own chair. Or those waiting for their chairs.

We are talking about those who pre-board using an airline or airport wheel chair.  Then when they arrive, have no trouble walking off the airplane out of the terminal.

• Like 3

How sad to resort to W/chairs when not needed.  My husband legitimately needs one as do many others.

To take it away from the ones who really need it is very low class IMO.  I don't need one & do not want one

as I prefer my own power.  Not only do they take W/chairs from others who really need it, they are using staff

to move the W/chairs unnecessairly & making others wait.  I hope in their inconsideration they at least tip

the people as we do.  My rant for the day.

On 9/30/2019 at 7:01 AM, parrotfeathers said:

I don't see many people take advantage of the "preboarding" (needing more time) experience.  A few weeks ago I flew up to MSP to pick up my puppy.  Those sherpa carriers fit well under the seat, but there is really no way you can easily get them under the seat without sliding them in from the aisle.  I practiced on the way up with an empty sherpa.  On the way home I asked the ticket person if I could use the preboarding time to go ahead of the others to make sure I could slide Poppy's sherpa in from the aisle, and they said yes.  It was much easier.  Of course I had let all the gate people hold Poppy and get puppy kisses first.  I swear they really need therapy dogs at the airports.

Some years ago I was taking an Air Canada flight to a cat show in Canada. An agent approached me at the gate and asked if the cat would be on the plane. Yes. Well, perhaps we can preboard you. I said it wasn’t necessary but she went off to check and came back to tell me I could board then. A businessman in first class had just been checked through and started to walk in front of me. The agent flung her arm out in front of him and said Monsieur, please, zee cat must go FIRST! He looked at me like I’d grown another head. I just shrugged. 

• Like 1

On 9/30/2019 at 9:05 AM, cured said:

First a caveat, I am sure that you have never made fun of the "miracle" kids or adults on a plane, but just wanted to give some insight why some people may seem to miraculously be cured on a plane, especially on flights to MCO.

I travel with an adaptive sports team, 20+ children and young adults with special needs. We travel all over the country, but mostly to MCO which hosts the biggest competitions along with the ICU and USASF World Championships (Cheer is now a provisional summer Olympic sport and the ICU World Championships are held in Orlando.) Disney has built a venue specifically for cheer competitions and cheer is one of the only sports, especially an Olympic sport, that includes multiple Special Ability divisions in their competitions. Most of our athletes can get out of their chair for very short distances but definitely cannot walk the long distances of the airport.  

They use their chairs to maneuver the distances of the airport. Since they need their chairs as soon as they get off the plane, they have to gate check them. The airlines make them pre-board since gate checking takes so much time and would hold up the regular boarding lines. They ride their chairs to plane door, gate check the chairs with the maintenance people who take the chairs, then walk to their seat. When the plane lands, they walk out the plane and wait just out the door for their chairs to be delivered.  The airlines make them pre-board so that they can gate check the chairs.  

Every parent I know would be more than happy to board during regular boarding but the airlines insist they pre-board because of the time it takes to gate check the chairs.

Most of the time it is not a "miracle" but chair bound people following airline rules.  I hate when I see our kids ridiculed because they can walk the few steps to the door of the plane to wait for their wheelchairs to be delivered. And yes, as we have waited for the chairs, I have heard many snide comments.

MCO has a large contingent of special needs athletes arriving constantly due to the numerous tournaments and competitions at Wide World of Sports.  Chances are you might have a larger group of people in chairs at any one time.  When we were there in May there were several hundred participants in the special abilities divisions from all over the world.  Many of our adult athletes, you would have no idea that they even have a disability and you would have no idea that they would be getting in their chairs so I can understand people thinking they may be "scamming" the system but in reality they are just following airline rules.

Great and informative post. 

I don't think that’s who posters were talking about, though.

I’ve seen plenty of people that boarded using a wheelchair arrive at their destination and walk right by the wheelchairs.

When I’ve had to use a wheelchair, I am always told to wait till everyone has deplaned before getting off myself. I guess the ones who needed one boarding don’t want to have to wait st the other end. 

On 9/30/2019 at 11:52 AM, JennyB1977 said:

If everyone (that is allowed carryon) would stick to a basic set rules:

1) carryon that is the correct size

2) they go in wheels first (jacket/coat on top of the bag if needed)

3) personal item fits under the seat in front of them

4) put the item in the bin above their own seat 

There wouldn't be an issue.

I recently observed a couple that each had 4 large shopping bags they wanted to "carry on". That's 8 total. Luckily the gate attendant spotted them and told them that wasn't going to work. I overheard her say they had "Basic Economy" which means only a personal item (purse, backpack or computer type bag). I didn't pay enough attention to see how it resolved but that is the kind of stuff the makes it difficult.

The issue is even when people only bring one carryon each, I don't think there is enough room for everyone to bring a carryon on board.  Unless people are sneaking in bags somehow, every flight I have been on recently, they have to check some carryons in the baggage area of the plane.

We basically cruise out of Galveston and get to the terminal approx. 11ish and never had to wait more than 15-20 mins. to board...no key, no suite, no pinnacle or even diamond (but we like to think we're working on it).  Just the anticipation of boarding whenever ready is enough.