Smoked Salmon for Breakfast

FLAHAM

50 minutes ago, nildib said:

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask about the EPIC... we were on it last year and the ride at night was so awful, usually cruise ships rock us to sleep but on the EPIC, it was like experiencing an earthquake because the bed would shake so rough, it was like  if someone is shaking it so bad, to wake you up and it DOES!  This was so bad for my husband because the next day he just didn't feel rested, my son didn't do well either fighting the sea sickness from the rough sail...  I was not so over taken from it all just I didn't care for the ship (I enjoyed the GETAWAY having a mini golf, this one for a 58 year old, didn't have anything really for me to enjoy on the Epic) so wasn't too crazy about the EPIC but was always wanting to visit the Southern Carribean Islands and offered by the EPIC so I figured, we'd be mostly visiting the islands daily anyways so it didn't matter much to me... 

BUT TOTALLY forgot how it affected them and booked an 11 day cruise yesterday!  When I mentioned to my husband and son that it was on the EPIC, the same ship we were on last year, they made me RECALL right away how they didn't enjoy it, my son doesn't even want to go now!!!  So when I called Norwegian today, they said they can't cancel the trip without losing my money! 

I just wanted to know has anybody experienced this rough shaking at night on the EPIC?  Maybe it was just the ocean that month, I believe end of November?  Or maybe they're saling more smoothly now, it seems they were saliling maybe tooo fast, IDK but we're going on beginning of January 2020.  Has anybody else experienced this on the EPIC during the month of January?   Please advise or copy paste this question, where it's suppose to be, I TRULY would appreciate your all feedback or your suggestions...  Thanks in Advance!     

Four trips on the Epic and not a hint of this problem.  I would consider finding a new family.

LOL...  "my husband because the next day he just didn't feel rested, my son didn't do well either fighting the sea sickness from the rough sail..."  we all, at one time or another we suffer through health issues but it's so sad and disappointing when this happens on an expensive cruise vacationwhere  everybody should be enjoying themselves... definitely not the time to abandon ship 😃  THANKS though, it's comforting to know this didn't happen to you!  What part of the ship were you on?  Do you remember the months of sailings?  THANKS AGAIN    

1 hour ago, EllieinNJ said:

As said before you can ask a buffet worker to get you some smoked salmon.  The same with the Eggs Benedict.  Some days it is not out on the buffet so you can ask the omelet station worker to make it for you.

I’ve never not seen eggs Benedict on the buffet, but how would an omelet maker poach an egg?

7 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

So,  you are asserting that the Food and Beverage director was flat out lying when he made an unprompted comment about the rationale for the change was not cost-driven. 

And that rather than believing the head of food and beverage, everyone should believe your totally unsubstantiated claims.... Because you shop at Walmart... And have "The Real Answer"....

If that were the real answer, then why serve it at all? 

I've heard officers lie many times when attempting to answer questions from unhappy passengers. The f&b director and the general manager aren't the ones who decided to remove smoked salmon from the buffet, or make any of the menu cutbacks NCL has made over the years. Those decisions are made by the suits in corporate headquarters . The ship's officers are then stuck with the job of mollifying the angry passengers who complain about the cutbacks, and yes, sometimes they come up with fairy tales in an attempt to do it.

Thanks for the attempted insult about shopping in Walmart. I don't happen to...I just looked up their price for smoked salmon because I knew it would likely be about as cheap as you could find it, but oh, the horror if I did happen to shop there!! I know anyone who does is just dirt under your feet . I'm so sorry to have forced you to interact with someone of such inferior social status.

17 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

If NCL has ever offered prosciutto anywhere on the ship it certainly never has had it on the buffet, as opposed to smoked salmon, which was always available there at breakfast.

I've had prosciutto on just about every cruise and it does appear at buffet. It's very sparse and you have to keep a keen watch for it, shared it with fellow travelers who also were unaware of it. Have you seen the caviar at buffet? yes it is there sometimes.  Did you know you can also ask for tomato juice from a server at the buffet?

Just now, bones774 said:

I've had prosciutto on just about every cruise and it does appear at buffet. It's very sparse and you have to keep a keen watch for it, shared it with fellow travelers who also were unaware of it. Have you seen the caviar at buffet? yes it is there sometimes.  Did you know you can also ask for tomato juice from a server at the buffet?

So tomato juice is as expensive as prosciutto and smoked salmon? (Only kidding)

There are any number of things you can ask for that aren't set out. For example we don't drink milk but we get soy or almond milk for our cereal by asking for it.

I'll have to look for the prosciutto.

Just now, njhorseman said:

So tomato juice is as expensive as prosciutto and smoked salmon? (Only kidding)

There are any number of things you can ask for that aren't set out. For example we don't drink milk but we get soy or almond milk for our cereal by asking for it.

I'll have to look for the prosciutto.

i don't know if it's Parma pros but its good, I remember having it with the Mozzarella, so watch for it on cheese days and Italian night. by me good Italian prosciutto is about $25 lb, min

1 minute ago, njhorseman said:

A mere pittance compared to $40 - $50 a pound for good smoked salmon.😁 

And smoked salmon was available every day while apparently prosciutto isn't.

yes you are correct.

since you're from jersey, do you go to Fairview markets, they have good salmon selection, plus they only let certain guys slice it.

2 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

I’ve never not seen eggs Benedict on the buffet, but how would an omelet maker poach an egg?

I have had a choice of eggs benedict (ham) and eggs royale (smoked salmon) every day in the MDR for breakfast but not see in buffet.

I have never seen eggs florentine (spinach instead of smoked salmon or ham) anywhere.

The problem for me is the eggs benedict uses a big circle of horrible processed ham instead of real sliced ham and the royale uses big thick sliced smoked salmon (too overpowering) instead of wafer thin cut smoked salmon.

Edited by ziggyuk

58 minutes ago, bones774 said:

yes you are correct.

since you're from jersey, do you go to Fairview markets, they have good salmon selection, plus they only let certain guys slice it.

I think you mean Fairway Market, but there are none in NJ . The nearest Fairway is in Brooklyn, well over an hour from my home. 

I'm going to our local supermarket, McCaffrey's, today. If I have a chance I'll see what they charge for hand sliced smoked salmon as opposed to the packaged stuff I occasionally buy there.

1 minute ago, njhorseman said:

I think you mean Fairway Market, but there are none in NJ . The nearest Fairway is in Brooklyn, well over an hour from my home. 

just an fyi....there is a Fairway in Paramus NJ...on Route 17 !!!!!😁

32 minutes ago, ziggyuk said:

I have had a choice of eggs benedict (ham) and eggs royale (smoked salmon) every day in the MDR for breakfast but not see in buffet.

I have never seen eggs florentine (spinach instead of smoked salmon or ham) anywhere.

The problem for me is the eggs benedict uses a big circle of horrible processed ham instead of real sliced ham and the royale uses big thick sliced smoked salmon (too overpowering) instead of wafer thin cut smoked salmon.

I ate it almost daily at the buffet on the Spirit, Jewel, Breakaway and Gem, some days they’d have a couple of different options (Canadian bacon/smoked salmon/spinach). 

17 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

I'm going to our local supermarket, McCaffrey's, today. If I have a chance I'll see what they charge for hand sliced smoked salmon as opposed to the packaged stuff I occasionally buy there.

gonna be at least $8 a quarter 

10 hours ago, nildib said:

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask about the EPIC... we were on it last year and the ride at night was so awful, usually cruise ships rock us to sleep but on the EPIC, it was like experiencing an earthquake because the bed would shake so rough, it was like  if someone is shaking it so bad, to wake you up and it DOES!  This was so bad for my husband because the next day he just didn't feel rested, my son didn't do well either fighting the sea sickness from the rough sail...  I was not so over taken from it all just I didn't care for the ship (I enjoyed the GETAWAY having a mini golf, this one for a 58 year old, didn't have anything really for me to enjoy on the Epic) so wasn't too crazy about the EPIC but was always wanting to visit the Southern Carribean Islands and offered by the EPIC so I figured, we'd be mostly visiting the islands daily anyways so it didn't matter much to me... 

BUT TOTALLY forgot how it affected them and booked an 11 day cruise yesterday!  When I mentioned to my husband and son that it was on the EPIC, the same ship we were on last year, they made me RECALL right away how they didn't enjoy it, my son doesn't even want to go now!!!  So when I called Norwegian today, they said they can't cancel the trip without losing my money! 

I just wanted to know has anybody experienced this rough shaking at night on the EPIC?  Maybe it was just the ocean that month, I believe end of November?  Or maybe they're saling more smoothly now, it seems they were saliling maybe tooo fast, IDK but we're going on beginning of January 2020.  Has anybody else experienced this on the EPIC during the month of January?   Please advise or copy paste this question, where it's suppose to be, I TRULY would appreciate your all feedback or your suggestions...  Thanks in Advance!     

The worst I had ever experienced was on the Escape, and not the listing cruise.  At night it felt like the ship was leaving the water and slamming back down.  The last sea day, there were 3 of them, I had sea sickness so bad that I just slept on a deck chair all day.  I don't believe either your cruise or mine can be attributed to the ship.  Sometimes they just have to sail through a rough patch of sea.

I am not prone to seasickness, but I have been told “there is a sea for every man,” meaning certain a sea motion can upset any person’s system, though it may be different for different people.  For some reason, the seas (perhaps in combination with the location of your cabin and/or perhaps they had some minor virus beforehand that made them more susceptible) on your last Epic cruise upset their equilibrium.  It isn’t a reason to consider a cabin on a lower deck and closer to midship on the next cruise.  And consider taking meds at first sign of trouble to stay ahead of symptoms.  I do not think there is anything specific about Epic.  If the family has a bad feeling about the ship, though, you could consider others so they will not make you miserable if symptoms recur.

On other lines where smoked salmon is available on the buffet, one does sometimes see people taking ridiculous amounts or making a mess of the serving tray.  Seeing that, I can understand why NCL might move the item to MDR where there is apt to be far less wastage...and fewer people partaking.

I am not prone to seasickness, but I have been told “there is a sea for every man,” meaning certain a sea motion can upset any person’s system, though it may be different for different people.  For some reason, the seas (perhaps in combination with the location of your cabin and/or perhaps they had some minor virus beforehand that made them more susceptible) on your last Epic cruise upset their equilibrium.  It isn’t a reason to consider a cabin on a lower deck and closer to midship on the next cruise.  And consider taking meds at first sign of trouble to stay ahead of symptoms.  I do not think there is anything specific about Epic.  If the family has a bad feeling about the ship, though, you could consider others so they will not make you miserable if symptoms recur.

On other lines where smoked salmon is available on the buffet, one does sometimes see people taking ridiculous amounts or making a mess of the serving tray.  Seeing that, I can understand why NCL might move the item to MDR where there is apt to be far less wastage...and fewer people partaking.