Simple Haven Bar Question

teaser961

1 hour ago, teaser961 said:

First time Haven cruiser on Escape in 2 weeks.  I am looking at pictures of the Haven pool area on Deck 17 and I don't see a bar.  Am i missing something?  What's a guy gotta do to get a drink at the Haven pool?

Get up and walk inside to the Haven bar. They Haven courtyard isn't that big and it takes less than a minute to get to the bar. 

3 hours ago, Smong said:

you can also have your butler bring you whatever you want

Butlers aren't typically in the pool area.  Also, if anyone is thinking they'll bring drinks under bev pkg, it won't be happening for free to your room.  Pretty much first thing butler said on our last trip on Escape is we can't bring drinks to the room under pkg.

OP, bar is maybe a minute walk from farthest location in Escape Haven.  We saw few servers in the Haven area and only once in seven days did a server ever come by to ask if we needed anything.  YMMV.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dexddd said:

Butlers aren't typically in the pool area.  Also, if anyone is thinking they'll bring drinks under bev pkg, it won't be happening for free to your room.  Pretty much first thing butler said on our last trip on Escape is we can't bring drinks to the room under pkg.

OP, bar is maybe a minute walk from farthest location in Escape Haven.  We saw few servers in the Haven area and only once in seven days did a server ever come by to ask if we needed anything.  YMMV.

That was also our experience in the Getaway Haven.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dexddd said:

I don't mind getting up to get a drink; however, the Haven appears to be all about service.  It seems somewhat odd that the servers wouldn't be more attentive. My experience at other pool areas has been it gets to the point where the servers are almost annoying.  Thanks for your response.

We had servers come around during out time in the Escape Haven over Thanksgiving last year.  There were servers taking drink orders and also servers who had a special "pool area" menu that you could order from.  I know that people say that the butlers can bring you things to the pool area, but this is really much more convenient.  And, as mentioned before, the bar inside is steps away, if a server doesn't happen to be right there.  

7 minutes ago, teaser961 said:

I don't mind getting up to get a drink; however, the Haven appears to be all about service.  It seems somewhat odd that the servers wouldn't be more attentive. My experience at other pool areas has been it gets to the point where the servers are almost annoying.  Thanks for your response.

Our experience was that the servers were there every day that we were in the courtyard. There were also servers offering fruit skewers, warm cookies, warm banana bread, etc. Even if we were in the pool or hot tub, we would still get served by staff that was walking around. 

For drinks, the servers did take a room card to swipe at the bar so plan on keeping one handy. 

Also, the servers learn your habits very quickly - even with the drink package, I rarely drink more than one cocktail while in the Haven courtyard or sundeck so the server would follow my lead, waiting until I acknowledged him if I wanted a second beverage

Our times in the Haven were wonderful and it was so easy just to veg out so getting up to walk to the bar at least counted for a few steps! 

As many have mentioned the bar is close. I even walk to the bar from the upper sundeck just to get up and move around. I do tend to tip but only a a dollar or two here and there and not every time the servers bring us a drink and the servers always have been very attentive to my wife and I. Beyond tipping we always are polite and appreciative of the attention they pay to us and try to be just as friendly to the servers as we find most of the Haven servers to be towards us. Maybe that brings better service even more than the tip! If I sit at the Haven Bar for any period of time I do tend to tip a bit more just because I truly appreciate the great service and effort they put into getting a drink just right for you, the Haven Bartenders are fantastic, You will enjoy the Haven on the Escape!

Edited by Beamco

6 hours ago, newty25 said:

It's always been my experience that tippers get noticed rather quickly and get the best service.

You’re paying for an enhanced level of service in the Haven. You shouldn’t have to tip servers to get a drink. If we establish a rapport with the server(s) and bartenders we tip them at the end of the cruise, sometimes generously.

29 minutes ago, gmbhardy said:

You’re paying for an enhanced level of service in the Haven. You shouldn’t have to tip servers to get a drink. If we establish a rapport with the server(s) and bartenders we tip them at the end of the cruise, sometimes generously.

You build a rapport by tipping your servers and bartenders at time of service. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Beamco said:

Beyond tipping we always are polite and appreciative of the attention they pay to us and try to be just as friendly to the servers as we find most of the Haven servers to be towards us. Maybe that brings better service even more than the tip!

It does. 👍

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

You build a rapport by tipping your servers and bartenders at time of service. 

Disagree, that’s an extremely shallow comment.  A good server provides good service regardless if he/she receives a tip or not. You don’t buy a rapport, you build one with respectful engagement.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, gmbhardy said:

Disagree, that’s an extremely shallow comment.  A good server provides good service regardless if he/she receives a tip or not. You don’t buy a rapport, you build one with respectful engagement.

You've obviously never worked in the service industry then. Ever try paying a bill with a 'respectful engagement?"

If a server believes or knows that I'm giving out tips whereas another cruiser is giving out a respectful engagement, they're probably going to help me out first and save the respectful engagement for later on. 

7 minutes ago, newty25 said:

You've obviously never worked in the service industry then. Ever try paying a bill with a 'respectful engagement?"

If a server believes or knows that I'm giving out tips whereas another cruiser is giving out a respectful engagement, they're probably going to help me out first and save the respectful engagement for later on. 

You obviously didn’t read my previous post. I do tip, but I don’t use the gesture as a bribe. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, gmbhardy said:

You obviously didn’t read my previous post. I do tip, but I don’t use the gesture as a bribe. 

I did. You tip at the end of the cruise. That's a lot different than tipping at time of service.

A person who tips at the end of the cruise feels the appreciation of the crew member the same as the person who doesn't tip at all. Think about it. They get the same level service throughout their cruise.

A person who tips at time of service feels the appreciation of the crew member throughout the duration of their cruise. And, they get an increased level of service.

It's just different philosophies. But, I guarantee a non-tipper was responsible for the idea of having everyone tip at the end of a cruise.

In my experience tipping in the haven during the cruise is awkward (perhaps with the exception of the random servers in the courtyard).  Our first butler actually said "no no wait til the end".  We learned the 2nd time.  Even at the bar they did not seem to expect a tip during the cruise.  We also tipped the bartenders at the end (we "discovered" this bar a bit late as there was a group that sort of took it over for the beginning of the cruise".  I'll probably tip the bartenders a few times during the cruise the next time and then at then end, but waving dollars around after each drink didn't seem to be the think to do.

12 hours ago, DebQ5 said:

In my experience tipping in the haven during the cruise is awkward (perhaps with the exception of the random servers in the courtyard).  Our first butler actually said "no no wait til the end".  We learned the 2nd time.  Even at the bar they did not seem to expect a tip during the cruise.  We also tipped the bartenders at the end (we "discovered" this bar a bit late as there was a group that sort of took it over for the beginning of the cruise".  I'll probably tip the bartenders a few times during the cruise the next time and then at then end, but waving dollars around after each drink didn't seem to be the think to do.

I'd agree.  I don't carry a wad of singles around to tip at each serving.  If in courtyard area I might have suit, shirt, flip flops, and keycard. 

I also pay attention and rarely see anyone discreetly or otherwise slipping a tip per serving.  Even at restaurants rarely see a cash tip left on a ship.

For eons the norm on ships has been to tip last night and that is what we do. 

We had no problem getting drinks from drink servers when in the Escape courtyard.  They were plentyful all the time.  As for the bar itself, it's just inside the door from the courtyard.  The Haven is a small area.  The Haven bar is nothing special, in fact, it's probably the worst bar on the ship.  It's just a tiny little bar next to the concierge and elevator, no view, no nothing. Terrible atmosphere. It's the last place I'd be hanging out at.  But if you are in your courtyard cabin and want a drink to enjoy on your balcony, it's super convenient to grab one.

16 hours ago, newty25 said:

I did. You tip at the end of the cruise. That's a lot different than tipping at time of service.

A person who tips at the end of the cruise feels the appreciation of the crew member the same as the person who doesn't tip at all. Think about it. They get the same level service throughout their cruise.

A person who tips at time of service feels the appreciation of the crew member throughout the duration of their cruise. And, they get an increased level of service.

It's just different philosophies. But, I guarantee a non-tipper was responsible for the idea of having everyone tip at the end of a cruise.

You are correct.  As far as the pool attendant/server is concerned, if you aren't tipping throughout the cruise, then you don't tip (extra).  I highly doubt these big tipper cruisers are wandering around the courtyard on the final day, looking for the server who helped them on day 2, so they can give them their generous tip at the end...  Lol.  Of course the servers are going to flock to the person who is tipping throughout the cruise.  They are there to work and quickly learn where the money is.

And yes, I was a server and bartender in my 20's, and you absolutely flock to those who tip you well and ignore those who don't.  As you said, I can't pay my bills with "respectful engagement" - and quite honestly, I wouldn't want respectful engagement unless you were tipping me.  If you weren't tipping me or were a poor tipper, the last thing I want is any engagement with you - I just want the minimum interaction necessary to not get fired.