Mexico Bound...but I'm pregnant and worried

niciediva007

So, about 3 weeks ago we found out we have another little munchkin on the way! :classic_love:  Our third! Eek. 

My problem is that our cruise leaves Saturday for Cozumel and Progreso, and now I'm worried that it's risky to get off the boat because of the Zika virus.  According to CDC, the risk of catching it isn't as high as it once was, but it does exist. Zika is extremely dangerous to cooking babes.  The risk is quantified as being the same as the continental US, including Florida; however, some experts believe cases are being underreported lending itself to a false sense of comfort.  There is no data available that is without error.

My OB/GYN has actually recommended to not go, but I think that's a little overkill as there is no active outbreak. I am however, contemplating not getting off the ship and I have purchased 4 mosquito prevention products (Permethrin, OFF with DEET, mosquito incense, and CUTTER wipes), just to be safe. 

I also realize that October is the second wettest month in the year for Mexico. 

I am wondering whether anyone knows if Cozumel/Progreso is experiencing any mosquito surges right now, or does it feel relatively normal? I wouldn't say I'm prone to mosquito bites, but it only takes one infected to cause a problem.  If they're swarming, I'll definitely avoid hitting land.  I may just avoid it either way, but wanted to see if anyone had a feel for this in the region. 

Hi,

Don't go on the excursion on Cozumel that goes to the ruins on that island.

There are tons of mosquitos there. The rest of the island ,near the ocean, is not prone to the mosquitos in the same way.

I don't know about Progresso.

Cozumel is an island, which I would say ironically makes it less of a problem (though that other post may have a point on a specific excursion). We went in the summer, July, and I don’t remember any bugs or needing repellent anywhere (I would see where you might use it to be safe). Haven't been to Progresso, but our other stops in the Yucatán were another story. The towns are basically surrounded by jungle, so mosquitoes are pretty common. That’s where I might get more concerned, but I would check it out more before deciding anything. Hope that helps, plus checking other boards. 

15 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

FYI, the Mexican Rivera is the Pacific side of Mexico. Progreso is covered here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/94-progresomerida-mexico/

And Cozumel is covered here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/131-cozumel/

Thanks so much! I wasn't sure I posted in the right place.  I thought it seemed barren of any Cozumel threads!

16 hours ago, riffatsea said:

Hi,

Don't go on the excursion on Cozumel that goes to the ruins on that island.

There are tons of mosquitos there. The rest of the island ,near the ocean, is not prone to the mosquitos in the same way.

I don't know about Progresso.

No, excursions booked.  We plan to spend a beach day at a private resort in Cozumel.  This gives me hope!

11 hours ago, jas283a said:

Cozumel is an island, which I would say ironically makes it less of a problem (though that other post may have a point on a specific excursion). We went in the summer, July, and I don’t remember any bugs or needing repellent anywhere (I would see where you might use it to be safe). Haven't been to Progresso, but our other stops in the Yucatán were another story. The towns are basically surrounded by jungle, so mosquitoes are pretty common. That’s where I might get more concerned, but I would check it out more before deciding anything. Hope that helps, plus checking other boards. 

This makes sense.  I may deboard for Cozumel and stay on for Progreso.  I definitely don't want anxiety to ruin my trip!

• 2 weeks later...

Before I took a cruise to Belize and Honduras my Dr recommended that I take garlic supplements for a couple weeks before going and during.  It's supposed to make the mosquitoes avoid you.  I didn't end up with any bites and my friends said I didn't smell bad.  I guess the bugs notice it but not people.  Haven't looked into the safety during pregnancy, but something to consider.