Norwegian Getaway - 20 year old question

p5woody

First time on NCL, looking at cruising on the Getaway - If I bring my 20 year old daughter on a cruise, is there anything she will not be able to do.  Are the night clubs over 21 only?  Planning a cruise in January but she won't turn 21 until February, she is in college so after January is not an option.  She will be with a person over 21, she is concerned she won't be allowed to do certain things.

Also if we book a room with a person over 21 with the free for all options, I know she can't get the unlimited open bar.  I am assuming she will have to take the soda package, she would like to be able to have non-alcoholic cocktails (virgin strawberry daiquiris), does the soda package include these?    

Thanks!

52 minutes ago, p5woody said:

First time on NCL, looking at cruising on the Getaway - If I bring my 20 year old daughter on a cruise, is there anything she will not be able to do.  Are the night clubs over 21 only?  Planning a cruise in January but she won't turn 21 until February, she is in college so after January is not an option.  She will be with a person over 21, she is concerned she won't be allowed to do certain things.

Also if we book a room with a person over 21 with the free for all options, I know she can't get the unlimited open bar.  I am assuming she will have to take the soda package, she would like to be able to have non-alcoholic cocktails (virgin strawberry daiquiris), does the soda package include these?    

Thanks!

18 -21 you can sign a waiver for your daughter and she can get beer and wine i think it’s a little more then the soda package. Not sure exact amount. Maybe someone would know better 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

I signed a waiver for my 19 and 20 year olds. They still only got a soda package, no virgin drinks, has to pay for beer and wine.

You are probably right. With the waiver they are allowed to drink beer and wine but no package. Just pay as you go. I can’t remember it was a few years ago. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the information this helps!  My daughter probably won't drink, she just wanted the mocktails.  Doesn't look like NCL offers any packages where they are included so you have to pay as you go.

• Like 1

To clarify.... people 18-20 can purchase and drink beer and wine but not cocktails? Are these people identifiable with a special colored wrist band or something? My daughter is 19 (which is the highest legal drinking age in Canada, it's 18 in some areas), she does not like wine or beer, but will have an occasional vodka cranberry. Just want to prepare her if this will be out of the question onboard the Escape. TIA

1 hour ago, KearstheCruiser said:

To clarify.... people 18-20 can purchase and drink beer and wine but not cocktails? Are these people identifiable with a special colored wrist band or something? My daughter is 19 (which is the highest legal drinking age in Canada, it's 18 in some areas), she does not like wine or beer, but will have an occasional vodka cranberry. Just want to prepare her if this will be out of the question onboard the Escape. TIA

That's right, she won't be able to drink cocktails.  Drinking age is 21, if you sign the waiver it will be beer and wine only. Her cruise card will have a clipped corner or other identifying marker.

Edited by Sauer-kraut

23 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Waivered kids use to be able to get the Corks and Caps (Wine and Beer) package. Not sure if that has changed recently. 

Three years ago my kids couldn’t get it, even though they were both second in a cabin with the UBP as a perk.