What to expect in Galapagos/Celebrity Flora?

galapagosbound

Hey everyone, our trip to the Galapagos onboard Celebrity Flora is getting closer & closer, and we're very excited, but also getting anxious about some aspects of the trip we're unaware of. I'll post some of these questions below and please provide any info you may have based on your experience.Please keep in mind that we're on the Flora, so if you've been to the Galapagos with Celebrity on a different ship that your experience may differ, so please specify if you were not on the Flora. Thanks for any help, tips, isights, answers and info anyone can shed on our questions:

1) Our main concern is wet landings/getting off the zodiacs and onto land/shore. I've read here that it's inevitable that you'll get your feet and part of your legs wet. How did you manage this? Did you have water shoes that doubled as hiking/walking shoes? Did you disembark into the shallow water with water shoes, then take the time to dry your feet and put your hiking shoes on? This is our first "expedition" type cruise, so we have no idea about these kinds of things. I've heard that the new zodiacs on Flora have a new design to make landings easier, but that you still have to step into water. Any insight is helpful. 

2) Is sunscreen part of the amenities provided onboard? With all the eco-concerns, do they provide hair conditioner in guest rooms on board?

3)In case we forget any important gear, does the boat have a shop where can purchase hats or sunglasses, etc?

4)Some people said to bring a long sleeve sun shirt/rash guard to put over the provided wet suits. Does this mean that the provided wet suits are sleeveless?

5)Does the cruise line disinfect scuba gear or should I bring my own sanitary wipes ?

6)What is the dress code for the dining room? We tend to be on the more formal side and I'm considering bringing a jacket for the dinner, but I've from a cruiser on another boat that he was in jeans and a t-shirt. I'm assuming there is no enforced dress code nor a formal night, but in general how do people dress for dinner? 

Any info or tips are helpful. Thanks for your time.

Could I add a question?

6) Does the ship supply hiking/trekking poles?  Or should we bring our own?  Are hiking/trekking poles even needed?

GalapagosBound, I think I can answer one question without yet having been on our cruise (Nov 10th.. when are you going?).  I have been told the wetsuits are shorties.  We have heard that the water is chilly so we are bringing Chillguard's rash guard shirts to wear under the wetsuits as an added layer of insulation.  They are slightly thicker than our usual rashguard shirts (which we are also bringing) that we would use snorkelling in the Caribbean more as protection from the sun.  We are also bringing fin socks which somebody on here recommended just to make the flippers more comfortable.  Can't hurt to have warmer feet either.

We are bringing our own mask and snorkel but not flippers.  We always bring our own mask and snorkel on cruises. 

We're bringing waterproof hiking shoes so some dampness won't be an issue if we have a rainy day or hit a puddle.  We have short Smart Wool sock with the theory that wool is better for wet than cotton.  (just our theory.. don't know if its true)  For wet landings we're bringing those sandals that have a good sturdy sole for grip on wet rocks and a closed toe so we won't stub our toes.  Teva and Keen make them, for example.

On 10/6/2019 at 1:14 PM, galapagosbound said:

Hey everyone, our trip to the Galapagos onboard Celebrity Flora is getting closer & closer, and we're very excited, but also getting anxious about some aspects of the trip we're unaware of. I'll post some of these questions below and please provide any info you may have based on your experience.Please keep in mind that we're on the Flora, so if you've been to the Galapagos with Celebrity on a different ship that your experience may differ, so please specify if you were not on the Flora. Thanks for any help, tips, isights, answers and info anyone can shed on our questions:

1) Our main concern is wet landings/getting off the zodiacs and onto land/shore. I've read here that it's inevitable that you'll get your feet and part of your legs wet. How did you manage this? Did you have water shoes that doubled as hiking/walking shoes? Did you disembark into the shallow water with water shoes, then take the time to dry your feet and put your hiking shoes on? This is our first "expedition" type cruise, so we have no idea about these kinds of things. I've heard that the new zodiacs on Flora have a new design to make landings easier, but that you still have to step into water. Any insight is helpful. 

2) Is sunscreen part of the amenities provided onboard? With all the eco-concerns, do they provide hair conditioner in guest rooms on board?

3)In case we forget any important gear, does the boat have a shop where can purchase hats or sunglasses, etc?

4)Some people said to bring a long sleeve sun shirt/rash guard to put over the provided wet suits. Does this mean that the provided wet suits are sleeveless?

5)Does the cruise line disinfect scuba gear or should I bring my own sanitary wipes ?

6)What is the dress code for the dining room? We tend to be on the more formal side and I'm considering bringing a jacket for the dinner, but I've from a cruiser on another boat that he was in jeans and a t-shirt. I'm assuming there is no enforced dress code nor a formal night, but in general how do people dress for dinner? 

Just left the Flora yesterday so here is what we had on our trip.

1. Wet landings, there are some, and it can vary how wet they may be depending on conditions. As for did people have shoes that were good for wet landings and keep them on, or change to dry shoes, it went either way. I had shoes that were good enough to do the hikes on the wet landings without changing, but some did change. Your choice really.

2. Sunscreen is not provided, they do give you a small lip balm as part of your welcome gifts, but no other sunscreen is provided. And do bring some, you'll need it.

3. There is a small boutique area on deck 3 that has some clothing items and a few other things, I did see hats, but not sure on sunglasses. We didn't really shop on board, so we walked by a few times but didn't really look too hard at what they had. Maybe someone else can provide more insights here.

4. Wet suits are the "shortie" variety. So if you want to wear a rashguard that is fine, and it helps keep the sun from burning when on the snorkels as well.

5. They do clean all the gear between cruises. They had all the snorkels/masks soaking in some sort of solution after the last snorkel trip. But you can always clean them again if you'd like.

6. Dress for dinner.  It was pretty casual, with few jackets for men if any. No formal nights, and I don't think they would deny anyone dinner unless maybe you showed up in a wet swim suit.

For other details check out the "Recently Returned" thread which has a lot of tips for the Flora. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Shorty wetsuits with short sleeves are provided.  They were warm enough for the regular snorkeling in September (when we went), but for the deep water snorkeling, my husband wore a midweight neoprene rashguard and a cap.  They also provide flippers, masks, flotation vests and snorkels; no need to bring your own. After snorkeling, your wetsuits are hung up on hangers on the Marina Deck and your snorkeling gear is hung in a mesh bag. I have no idea if wetsuits are sanitized, but don't see this as an issue.

We had wet and dry landings and neither are a problem.  You can bring water shoes and change into regular shoes on the beach. There are towels available on the Marina Deck where you board the zodiacs and you can take one to dry off your feet in a wet landing.  I think we only had one wet landing.

The gift shop is tiny; no sunglasses, no sunscreen, no first aid items (that I recall) and a few hats and shirts.  Bring what you think you will need.  There is a better selection at the airport when you land, so you can grab anything you forgot there.

The ship does have walking sticks if you need one.

The bathrooms have soap, shampoo and conditioner, as well as two water bottles and a dedicated tap for filtered drinking water.  Do not drink tap water in  Ecuador.

There is no dress code and you absolutely do not need a jacket for dinner.  I never saw anyone wearing one on our cruise.  A nice pair of pants/skirt or dress and a shirt/blouse are fine.  This is a casual expedition cruise; no one cares what you wear.

On 10/6/2019 at 11:14 AM, galapagosbound said:

1) i think really depends on weather?  We had good weather and the landings were basically in like barely ankle deep part of the beach.  If you waited for waves on a few of them you could jump over and avoid water all together.  I tried a mix of things.  If I went back, I might only bring normal whatever shoes (hiking boots are not necessary, sneakers or whatever is comfortable works well enough) and just wear sandals or barefoot for the landings.  I tried those hybrid water shoes/hiking sandals things and the beach sand got everywhere and was really annoying.  Also, since most of your group and probably the naturalist will be changing shoes, you will be standing around waiting anyways.  Why not join them in drying your feet and wiping the sand off and putting on nice comfortable dry socks and shoes.

Other questions are pretty well answered.  Celebrity pampers you pretty well the whole way through.  It's barely an expedition on the flora.  Getting on and off is pretty straightforward on those zodiacs with the ramps.

One thing is if you want to buy the Pacari equadorian chocolates to bring home, the tourist-trap afternoon equator place was by far the cheapest we ever saw them anywhere at 2 for $5.  Otherwise the other souvenirs were pretty much similar prices at all the tourist shops.

3 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

Do you recommend this sailing for children 11- 13?  Will they have wet suits for them?  Any special activities for them

Really depends on the maturity level.  Think of the ambiance like a country club.  Can your kids maintain that polite stodgy behavior while in public places for 11 days?  do they like nature and animals and national parks? Can they stay on trail at a very slow walking pace in line and have enough impulse control not to walk off trail to see the animals and to follow the naturalists directions?  I personally think it's a lot to ask of 11-13.

Don't know about wet suits, might want to ask celebrity.  No  special activities.  For active kids there will be a significant amount of downtime that they will have to entertain themselves.  (couple hour in mornings, couple hours around lunch, then after dinner till sleep).  Good news is the internet is surprisingly usable.

I found so much information, along with photos on a roll call, I believe; however, not sure exactly where.  So, I will give it a look and see if I can find it again...my trip is not until the very end of May, 2021..."Recently Returned on Flora" is an excellent read with tons of great information.  This was the first one when I looked at 4:00 PT.

Edited by Lastdance

Galapagosbound: definitely check the Recently Returned thread pinned at the top of the Flora roll call, lots of good info there. We rinsed out our wetsuits after every snorkel and I think I heard that they disinfect between cruises but not 100% sure. The wetsuits are short sleeved. We were very grateful that we brought something to wear underneath as in August the water was cold. There is a recent posting in that thread with average water temps, but ours was definitely colder than what is listed. Still you are only in for 40 minutes and it’s so amazing that sometimes you forget you are cold. I had short hiking boots for some of the days and Tevas for most of the others and was glad I brought both. At the briefing every evening they  give you  a lot of info about what to wear and bring  the next day. 

I would not bother getting dressed up for dinner. It is a very informal cruise. I brought one dress and a skirt with several dressy blouses and I definitely was overdressed! 

I also wouldn’t count on the shop except for souvenir hat and/or t shirt kind of things. And definitely buy chocolate at the equator. But remember the limitations on what you can bring from Quito to the Galapagos, no plastic bags, no nuts, seeds, etc.

Cruise a holic: I will reinforce previous posters answers on the kids question. There are NO children’s activities on this cruise.  There are small wetsuits and snorkel masks. We had  several children on our August cruise; some were fantastic, never heard them whining, complaining or disrupting any activity. Others were not as good, and there were several complaints, they were rude and disruptive to others, loud, running around, banging doors, etc. on a ship this small it gets annoying. Think about whether the children you want to bring are okay in an adult environment 24x7, and also how they handle a weeks worth of long tiring days. 

Howdy all! emo22.gif

The OP has already sailed their cruise. For others with future cruises on Flora reading this thread, here is the thread Lastdance and KathyL2537 mention:

I sincerely hope this information will be helpful and glad to have you all aboard Cruise Critic! emo35.gif

Happy sails,

Host Kat emo32.gif

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

There are wetsuits available for children.  On our cruise, we had two sisters, ages 11 and 12, and they had wetsuits which fit.

There are no activities for children, including no special meals.  We had only the two children on our cruise and they were very mature and well behaved, but I would think twice before bringing an 11 year old; a 13 year old would be okay if he/she doesn't mind being the only child and is interested in nature and can keep up with all the physical activities.  Personally, I would not bring my child under about age 14.  This is not a cruise designed for kids.

Edited by grandma*knows*best

Do the Galapagos tours work out well for people that don't snorkel?  My wife does not and I do.  How cold is the water with the shorties on?  Personally I like 80 degree water.  We are very active hikers though.

Edited by NMTraveller

NM Traveller:  no worries about traveling with non snorkelers. It is an optional activity. For the beach snorkels, they take place after the island hike, so non-snorkelers can go back on board or just stay on the beach while others snorkel. There are tenders going back and forth regularly so whenever she wants to head back she can.  For the deep water snorkels, many just stay on board. On our cruise in August I want to say that perhaps a third to half of us did the deep water ones. So your wife will be fine hanging out on board with all the new friends you are sure to meet there 🙂

In terms of water temperature, it varies depending on what month you are going. And how cold it feels depends on your personal thermostat. There is definitely discussion about this on the "recently returned" thread.  One woman on our trip swims in Colorado rivers so she was fine in a bathing suit!  Check this link out for more information. https://www.igtoa.org/travel_guide/weather

According to our naturalist it was mid 60s when we were there in August so this was pretty accurate for us. 

1 hour ago, KathyL2537 said:

NM Traveller:  no worries about traveling with non snorkelers. It is an optional activity. For the beach snorkels, they take place after the island hike, so non-snorkelers can go back on board or just stay on the beach while others snorkel. There are tenders going back and forth regularly so whenever she wants to head back she can.  For the deep water snorkels, many just stay on board. On our cruise in August I want to say that perhaps a third to half of us did the deep water ones. So your wife will be fine hanging out on board with all the new friends you are sure to meet there 🙂

In terms of water temperature, it varies depending on what month you are going. And how cold it feels depends on your personal thermostat. There is definitely discussion about this on the "recently returned" thread.  One woman on our trip swims in Colorado rivers so she was fine in a bathing suit!  Check this link out for more information. https://www.igtoa.org/travel_guide/weather

According to our naturalist it was mid 60s when we were there in August so this was pretty accurate for us. 

My wife does not snorkel, so she just stayed on the ship during the optional deep water snorkel.  I was then buddied up with another person.

It was hot when we were there in February 2019.  I did not use the wetsuit, just swim trunks.  However, I was the only one to do so.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/5/2019 at 12:00 PM, Cruise a holic said:

Do you recommend this sailing for children 11- 13?  Will they have wet suits for them?  Any special activities for them

There were no kids on our cruise but I can tell you for certain that they have kid size goggles.  I have a small face and I was given a child-sized mask. I also brought my own mask and snorkel and just decided to use my own.  I don't know about wetsuits sizes.  At the very least consider buying your kids a rashguard shirt as an extra layer to wear under the wetsuit or alone.  I was glad to be wearing mine.  
As for activities, as far as I know there are no kids activities but ages 11-13, your kids will have no problem staying busy just with the excursions we all sign up for.  The only requirement is that they respect the rules... stay on the path, don't touch the wildlife, don't startle the wildlife, watch your footing... especially on the lava flow.  One in the morning and one in the afternoon.  You'll have a couple of hours around lunch for some ship "down time".  There's an extremely small pool and hot tub on board and they can go down to the lab for a look around too.  Plus, there's internet included so their 'devices' will work.. if that keeps them busy. 

• 2 weeks later...

We are on Flora 4/26/20 Outer Loop 7 day cruise.  Can anyone tell me when we get into Quito after the cruise?  Is the whole day taken up getting there from Baltra?  We have until the following night for our flight, looking for what to do in Quito during that time.  Will already have had the day tour of Quito with Celebrity prior to embarkation.  Thanks.

Sorry to hear that. I would feel the same about the compensation after planning and anticipating for so long. Wish Celebrity would take a realistic look at the timeframe needed  to fix the Xpedition and let people know the situation.  This week by week cancellation is horrible for the customers!  If I had not sailed with them on multiple cruises I would have pulled out months ago thinking they weren’t a reputable company.

2 hours ago, Macchardsmom said:

We are on Flora 4/26/20 Outer Loop 7 day cruise.  Can anyone tell me when we get into Quito after the cruise?  Is the whole day taken up getting there from Baltra?  We have until the following night for our flight, looking for what to do in Quito during that time.  Will already have had the day tour of Quito with Celebrity prior to embarkation.  Thanks.

About noonish, then they take you to the mariott from the airport so you get there like early afternoon.  They had an optional 1 or 2 hour shopping trip to a couple arts/crafts places for souvenirs that I feel like a majority of people went to.  Then dinner is provided and you have the hotel room for the night and I think breakfast the next day.  The shuttle to the airport is the last thing provided.

For the people flying out the next day they had i think 3 tours/excursions that they offered that you can sign up for extra $ that you can sign up for that afternoon you get back.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ohiolovescrusing said:

Sorry to hear that. I would feel the same about the compensation after planning and anticipating for so long. Wish Celebrity would take a realistic look at the timeframe needed  to fix the Xpedition and let people know the situation.  This week by week cancellation is horrible for the customers!  If I had not sailed with them on multiple cruises I would have pulled out months ago thinking they weren’t a reputable company.

Sorry Posted on wrong thread!

• 1 month later...
55 minutes ago, 07floridaSunshine said:

We are going To the Galápagos on Flora 3/13/20. Did anyone take medicine for altitude sickness? I have heard mixed reactions.  

also does anyone know if the walking sticks provided are good for short and tall people or should I buy my own? ( I’m the short one!!)

thank you 

We are prescribed Diamox but never took it. After reading the side effects, we opted to see how we did without it. You can request oxygen in some hotels (we were never told that). I did have some difficulty in Cusco.

Please consider reading through the "Recently Back" (Xpedition)  threads on the Celebrity Roll call boards. You can do a serach on the thread/s specifially for this topic and are more likely to find help, as so few actually go to MP. It is a wonderful trip!

On 2/29/2020 at 9:41 AM, 07floridaSunshine said:

We are going To the Galápagos on Flora 3/13/20. Did anyone take medicine for altitude sickness? I have heard mixed reactions.  

also does anyone know if the walking sticks provided are good for short and tall people or should I buy my own? ( I’m the short one!!)

thank you 

We didn't bother and didn't have any problem with altitude. However there were a couple of people who had issues.  On fellow had to stay at the hotel and miss the tour of Quito because he wasn't feeling well.  The hotel has oxygen on hand for people who are suffering from the altitude.  There was also a lady who was just finishing chemo and she too was having a hard time.  She did make it on the tour in Quito but they managed to find her a wheelchair.

Bring your own walking sticks.  Their's are terrible wooden poles with useless straps that don't work on your wrist.  The re are short poles and long poles but yuck.. they were terrible.  Go to a sporting good store and buy a nice pair of adjustable trekking poles that you can collapse and fit in your suitcase.  

Edited by jamacka