Amazon Cruise

alwaysonaship

22 minutes ago, tinkky said:

Im thinking of doing this cruise but yes having trouble getting to Manaus most flights arriving 230 am  from US.

just wondering if its worth the trouble,

We loved this cruise, so it was worth it for us. We live half way between Seattle and Vancouver B.C., so we usually check both places for international flights. We flew from Vancouver (leaving about midnight), from there to Mexico City, then to Panama City, and then finally to Manaus. We arrived about 8:00 pm. Yes, not a fun flight schedule, but seeing some of the Amazon was amazing - bucket list experiences!

On 10/8/2019 at 3:55 AM, plane7c said:

I am booked on the April 5  2020 cruise from Manaus to Miami.  The first Seabourn air arrangement had me fly from Newark to Miami on April 3 then Miami to Manaus arriving at 12:10 a.m. the morning of April 4.  The cruise starts on April 5 so I asked what I was supposed to do until then.  Seabourn booked me in a superior room at the Quality Hotel in Manaus for $589.  I objected to those arrangements.  The second Seabourn air arrangement has me fly from Newark to Miami on April 4 and then from Miami to Manaus overnight arriving in Manaus on April 5 at 7:45 a.m. Group transfer from airport to ship.  

When I booked this cruise on August 1, Seabourn told me I needed a visa to enter Brazil but I informed them that as of June 17, 2019, US citizens no longer need a visa to visit Brazil.  Seabourn then confirmed that was so.  I am concerned about having to get a Yellow Fever vaccination for Devils Island.  Would those of you who have taken this cruise tell me about that?

Looking forward to sailing on the Amazon river and thanks for recommending the Amazon dance show. 

Is that $589 Brazilian Real or American dollars?  You can book an executive suite $117/night USD. I've stayed there and it's on par with a standard Sheraton or Radisson. It also had a nice Continental breakfast with a vast array of fruits, cheese and meats. We did find that a number of staff,even Customer Service, spoke little or no English. Thankfully my wife is fluent in Portuguese.

I would speak with Seabourn about that price and see if they lower it or cancel the hotel and book it yourself.

Take care,

Mike

We are on this cruise (departing Manaus 5th April 2020) and SB couldn't offer us anything hotel wise.  So we have made our own arrangements through booking.com (we use them a lot travelling around Europe, and have never come unstuck yet).

We're staying at the Intercity Manaus, 4*, good reviews on various comparison sites and we are paying £48 english... approx $60 !   We don't arrive into Manaus until 9.30pm (after a couple of changeovers and a very long journey) and did think what's the point in spending a lot on a hotel just to sleep and embark next day.  

On 11/6/2019 at 7:47 PM, MMastell said:

Is that $589 Brazilian Real or American dollars?  You can book an executive suite $117/night USD. I've stayed there and it's on par with a standard Sheraton or Radisson. It also had a nice Continental breakfast with a vast array of fruits, cheese and meats. We did find that a number of staff,even Customer Service, spoke little or no English. Thankfully my wife is fluent in Portuguese.

I would speak with Seabourn about that price and see if they lower it or cancel the hotel and book it yourself.

Take care,

Mike

Mike,  the $589 was American dollars and it included being met at the airport, transferred to the hotel, picked up the next day from the hotel, and transferred to the ship.  My issue was having to pay for a hotel at all because on other Seabourn cruises, if Seabourn wanted me to arrive early, they booked the hotel or day room and did not charge me for it.  I opted not to get to Manaus a day earlier and stay in a hotel I had to pay for.  Instead, Seabourn has changed my flights so I will arrive in Manaus on Sunday, April 5 at 7:45 a.m. and be met at the airport and transferred to the ship.  

I booked this cruise for 2020 in February this year, 2019, B2B Buenos Aires - Manaus-Miami. In April I received an email from Seabourn saying that as a good will gesture for booking early, they were providing the Boi Bumba show complimentary. Actually I was surprised because a bit more than a year in advance to me isn't way Early Booking, but I think it is a nice gesture. I am glad not to have to fly to Manaus based on your postings. I did fly out of Manaus 15 years ago at the end of a Regent Lima-Manaus cruise. Don't remember the routing, just a long wait at a hotel. But did get to an opera performance of jazz - such a gorgeous building built by the rubber (robber?) barons. And I have documentation of a yellow fever inoculation from 1996 - isn't one a lifetime enough (I hope)?

1 hour ago, Mahogany said:

I booked this cruise for 2020 in February this year, 2019, B2B Buenos Aires - Manaus-Miami. In April I received an email from Seabourn saying that as a good will gesture for booking early, they were providing the Boi Bumba show complimentary. Actually I was surprised because a bit more than a year in advance to me isn't way Early Booking, but I think it is a nice gesture. 

Interesting!    Was this a recent email?  We booked about 14 months in advance  Manaus-Miami, then Miami-Barcelona, 5th April onwards, maybe we'll get the same!

• 2 weeks later...