Princess & UK Cruisers

2BACRUISER

Having done about 500 plus days on Princess ships large and small and in most parts of the world I cannot agree with the comments regarding the standard of MDR food.Ā  Of course we no longer get oysters and lobster or snails regularly but the prices of cruises have not risen enough for the owners to keep supplying this extra.Ā  The staff are always friendly and do their utmost to get you what you want evenĀ  if it is 'not available'Ā  The entertainment shows are varied and mostly excellentĀ  although unlike P&O and Carnival shows you do not need earmuffs against the high decibel sound.Ā  The rooms may be smaller than Celebrity and RCI but they are adequate and well furnished and the beds are very comfortable and I do like having a top sheet.

If you do a segment of the World cruise which is based from BZ and AustraliaĀ  there are no gratuities and the price on board is AUD so much cheaper than US.

I love the libraries they have on Princess ships as sometimes I want an actual book to read and a quiet place to read it

The buffets are excellent and you can ask for any5thing you want if it is not on show

OnĀ  P&O UK ship once my DH sked for smoked salmon as it was not on show and was toldĀ  "YES we have it but don't put it out as people eat it"!!!!! and promptly brought him a huge plate which he shared with 2 other passengers waiting in the line.

Go Princess

On 10/11/2019 at 12:26 AM, MicCanberra said:

MMWMLV, we are on the Sun Princess (sister ship) next year,.

Ā 

Sun Princess is not a Grand Princess class ship.Ā  Sun Princess would equate to Sea Princess, Dawn Princess or in P&O UK terms Oceana.

Ā 

Regards John

On 10/11/2019 at 1:05 PM, 2BACRUISER said:

Thanks all. We're not big ship people hence not wanting to go on Iona I noticed Arcadia is also doing a baltic 2020 so might look at that too. All depends on dates we have to work with so Princess very much remains in running. Now to go talk to DH and prize his wallet open. Lol. Thanx šŸ˜

Ā 

Arcadia would be similar to Queen Elizabeth or Queen Victoria if you like the formality. These might be a good alternative.

Ā 

Regards John

3 hours ago, john watson said:

Ā 

Sun Princess is not a Grand Princess class ship.Ā  Sun Princess would equate to Sea Princess, Dawn Princess or in P&O UK terms Oceana.

Ā 

Regards John

Thanks but I was referring to the Sea Princess at the time.

BTW the sun Princess cruise never happened.

Just for infoĀ  The Sea Sun and Dawn Princesses no longer exist they have been sold over to other lines the smallest Princess ship (I believe)Ā  is the Island Princess but correct me is I am wrong followed I think my The Diamond and her sisters

49 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Thanks but I was referring to the Sea Princess at the time.

BTW the sun Princess cruise never happened.

Ā 

Sea Princess is not a Grand Class ship either as mentioned.Ā  It is a Sun Class ship. Crown Princess is a Grand Class ship.

Ā 

Regards John

Edited by john watson

56 minutes ago, windsor26 said:

Just for infoĀ  The Sea Sun and Dawn Princesses no longer exist they have been sold over to other lines the smallest Princess ship (I believe)Ā  is the Island Princess but correct me is I am wrong followed I think my The Diamond and her sisters

Ā 

The three ships exist under different names;Ā  Sea Princess is now MS Charming, Sun Princess is now Pacific World and Dawn Princess is now Pacific Explorer.Ā Ā 

Ā 

Island Princess and Coral Princess are the smallest current Princess ships and are both Panamax.

Ā 

Grand Princess (largest cruise ship in the world when built 1998) is the next largest followed by Caribbean Princess.Ā  Then next equal sizes Crown, Emerald and Ruby.Ā  Diamond and Sapphire are next largest.Ā  The latter two are wider than the Italian built ships and were constructed in Japan and swapped identities whilst being built. Some of these have sailed through the new locks on the Panama Canal, Post Panamax but I am not sure if they all will go under the Bridge of the Americas.

Ā 

Regards John

Edited by john watson
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Having done over 600 days on many different sized Princess ships I have never ever felt crowded.... The food of course over the past 20 years has changed - as have the tastes of cruisers.Ā  Escargo is not available every night nor re the fillets of beef but the prices of the cruises have not risen that much and food has so I doĀ  not mind missing some 'delicacies.

The entertainment can change from excellent toĀ  'why am I here" but there is always some good entertainment somewhereĀ  Ā The days programme is full unlike some RCI where the day is emptyĀ 

The 76 day cruise we took in the Sun Princess which has sadly been sold on was amazing and we only ever had one dish that had to be returned (not eaten)

The crew are so friendly and helpful and although quite small the staterooms are only for us to shower and sleep so why do we need huge spaces.Ā  You can always ask the cabin steward to remove any unwanted furniture to give you more walking space if you need it.

Their beds are very comfortable and the linen excellentĀ  They also have a pillow menu so you can ask for the type you prefer.

Their drink prices are on par with all the other lines and their tips are 15% not 18% like on other lines.Ā  With the fact that you can take on board all the wine you like as well as sodasĀ  you never need to worry about the drinks being expensive.

That saidĀ  Their coffee from the buffet is not the best so be warned about that and perhaps take some coffee with you if you are addictsĀ  Ā  Cruise and enjoy!!

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

As long as you pay corkage after your one bottle per person allowance.

Ā 

Ā 

Yes indeed - $15 corkage per bottle about 6 (?) years ago.Ā  But you can take it anywhere on the ship, including to dinner.

Came in handy for a cruise out of Aus.Ā 

We bought a dozen bottles in a Sydney bottle-shop ("bottlo") and even with the $15 x 10 corkage charge we saved a few $$$ on even the cheapest ship's wine, plus the knowlegde that it was a wine we enjoyed.Ā Ā 

Ā 

JBĀ šŸ™‚

6 hours ago, John Bull said:

Ā 

Yes indeed - $15 corkage per bottle about 6 (?) years ago.Ā  But you can take it anywhere on the ship, including to dinner.

Came in handy for a cruise out of Aus.Ā 

We bought a dozen bottles in a Sydney bottle-shop ("bottlo") and even with the $15 x 10 corkage charge we saved a few $$$ on even the cheapest ship's wine, plus the knowlegde that it was a wine we enjoyed.Ā Ā 

Ā 

JBĀ šŸ™‚

We did the same on a cruise out of Fort Lauderdale.Ā  However,Ā  with the advent of Princess Plus,Ā  there is little economic benefit to now doing so. Obviously,Ā  if you want a specific wine, then the option is still there, with the $15 corkage charge.Ā  Personally, as long as the wineĀ  isĀ  red, I'm happy !

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...