Saguenay Fjord day: Where does the ship go?

jeph

Back in 2006, I took a weeklong Montreal to Boston cruise on Maasdam; the scenic sail into and out of Saguenay Fjord (about 50 miles each way) at sunrise was a scenic highlight.

I've just booked a 10-night cruise from Quebec City down to NYC on Caribbean Princess for next August, and part of the draw was the inclusion of Saguenay on this itinerary as well.  However, unlike the Maasdam trip all those years ago, this time it's clearly a port call, with various excursions offered.  I can't seem to find anything on Princess's own website, nor here within CC, which indicates where the ship would be located for the day.  Is it along the St Lawrence near the outlet of the fjord, or deep within at La Baie?  And is there a pier big enough and a mooring deep enough for the ship to tie up, or are passengers tendered ashore?  If you've been on this ship (or one of similar dimensions) before at this port call, or even know someone who has, I'd love to hear from you on this point.

8 hours ago, jeph said:

Back in 2006, I took a weeklong Montreal to Boston cruise on Maasdam; the scenic sail into and out of Saguenay Fjord (about 50 miles each way) at sunrise was a scenic highlight.

I've just booked a 10-night cruise from Quebec City down to NYC on Caribbean Princess for next August, and part of the draw was the inclusion of Saguenay on this itinerary as well.  However, unlike the Maasdam trip all those years ago, this time it's clearly a port call, with various excursions offered.  I can't seem to find anything on Princess's own website, nor here within CC, which indicates where the ship would be located for the day.  Is it along the St Lawrence near the outlet of the fjord, or deep within at La Baie?  And is there a pier big enough and a mooring deep enough for the ship to tie up, or are passengers tendered ashore?  If you've been on this ship (or one of similar dimensions) before at this port call, or even know someone who has, I'd love to hear from you on this point.

We sailed the itinerary in August. The ship sails up the Saguenay River and docks at LaBaie. Since this is a fjord the water is very deep. In August the ship has to maintain slow speeds in the river to protect the whales that gather there, plenty of time for viewing. There are a number of tour options once docked. We took the local tour bus to Chicoutini and back. There isn't much to the town on LaBaie. You can walk around in under an hour. Chicoutini is a larger town. Nothing really tourist there. There is a very nice park along the river. There are other tours offered by the ship.

Tip regarding the Caribbean Princess. You have to get to the theater for production shows around 45 minutes prior. For the show Bravo maybe 60 minutes. Bring a book, cards or something to pass the time. For guest singers, musicians or comic entertainers maybe 30 minutes prior. Other than the early arrival at the theater we enjoyed the Caribbean Princess.

I stopped here on HAL's Zuiderdam about two weeks ago. If there is more than one ship in port, one ship anchors. We were lucky to get the dock. As said, most tours go to the surrounding area away from the town. 

If you want to see a spectacular show, be sure and sign up for the tour 

La Fabuleuse which is in the afternoon. You are bussed about 10 minutes away to a large theater where the event takes place. They have been doing this show for 32 seasons and it is something to see and remember.

Thanks for the info!  Sounds like the best of both worlds, since in addition to the opportunity to do some touring ashore, we'll also get to enjoy the same leisurely scenic cruise of the waterway from the comfort of the ship...which makes a very stable platform for photography as well. 

I will be sure and keep my eyes peeled for those whales, too! 👍🐳

• Like 1