Veendam Itinerary Change for 10/23

BunnieGirl

Just wondering if anyone has any information on the itinerary change for the Veendam leaving Ft. Lauderdale on 10/23. The email we got reports the reason being for "operational reasons the call to Half Moon Cay has been canceled and replaced with a call to Cozumel".  Initially we were ok with this change as we love Cozumel but the change to the itinerary has us there on a Sunday from 1 pm to 11 pm. We are beach people and our normal go to beach resort is closed on Sundays. Plus the time in port sucks! I know this is a first world problem but I was looking forward to our whole day in the cabana. Just wondering what is going on with Half Moon Cay. 

8 hours ago, BunnieGirl said:

our whole day in the cabana

I think all the calls to HMC that I have been on, have had an 'Last Tender' about 2.30pm.  Wouldn't exactly call that a whole day! We always reckoned the cabanas were poor value for the length of time ashore.

Edited by VMax1700

44 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

I think all the calls to HMC that I have been on, have had an 'Last Tender' about 2.30pm.  Wouldn't exactly call that a whole day! We always reckoned the cabanas were poor value for the length of time ashore.

I agree. Back when the last tender was around 4 PM, then it was more like a whole day. 

2 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

Same here -- I wouldn't spend all that money for the very few hours you get to stay on HMC.  It was better in the old days when we stayed there until 4.

I would not have minded the change at all if we were in to Cozumel earlier in the day. From what I understand this cruise itinerary was already changed once before. It originally was supposed to go to Cuba. So for those folks that is two itinerary changes. It is sad that HAL and Carnival can't get coordinated if the reason they bump the Veendam was because the CCL ship is going to be there. These itineraries are published years in advance. Also if it is because of the renovations they also know that is going on. My main issue is the times we are in port in Cozumel and the late itinerary change. Fortunately I found a resort day pass that will let us stay until 6 pm. on Sunday. 

24 minutes ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

PS -- Carnival built HMC -- so they can have the final word on which ships go there.

From wikipedia:

Little San Salvador Island, also known as Half Moon Cay, is one of about 700 islands that make up the archipelago of The Bahamas. It is located roughly halfway between Eleuthera and Cat Island. It is a private island, owned by Holland America Line, which uses it as a port of call for the cruise ships it operates in the region. Prior to being owned by HAL, Little San Salvador was the private island of Norwegian Cruise Line.  Holland America Line purchased the island in December, 1996 for a price of $6 million USD.