Copenhagan, Where to stay and rent apt for a week

IsanTom

My wife and I are ending a cruise in May 2020 and we would like to rent an apartment for a week. We don't mind staying in the suburbs and commuting into the city by train

to lower costs. Can someone recommend what areas we should stay and commute near a train station?

OP, There's a fantastic integrated public transport system available in Copenhagen; buses, metro, trains and waterbuses.  Take a look here: https://www.visitcopenhagen.com/copenhagen/public-transport

It's also very compact and walkable (watch out for the cyclists though - they take no prisoners!) Last time we visited, we stayed out near the airport as I comped the stay and it was only 10 mins by frequent metro into the heart of the city. I'd recommend taking a look over on Trip Advisor and ask this question on their Copenhagen forum.

Edited by BritinSoCal

Some suburbs that I would recommend are Vanløse, Rødovre, Hvidovre, Gentofte, Glostrup and the suburbs out on Amager (Tårnby, Ørestad, Sundby etc). 

Generally I would avoid the suburbs like Gladsaxe, Avedøre, Ishøj, Brøndbyøster, Brøndby Strand and Tingbjerg (Surrounding Brønshøj should be okay).

• Like 1

On 10/19/2019 at 11:26 PM, BritinSoCal said:

OP, There's a fantastic integrated public transport system available in Copenhagen; buses, metro, trains and waterbuses. 

Yes, agree. But public transport in Copenhagen is not cheap. I don’t even speak about taxi. Locals - by the way not only youth - use bikes. We spent in Copenhagen about 5 days and we rented bikes. The first day was really shocking as all of them bike very quickly and there are special streetlights for bikes which was unexpected for us. On the second day we felt much better 😊 Any way it was an experience!
We rented apartments next to Amagerbo metro station.

Jess

6 hours ago, CrazyJess said:

Yes, agree. But public transport in Copenhagen is not cheap.

The small city pass lite costs DKK 80 (~$12) for 24 hours, with additional discounts for multiple days and includes travel to / from the airport and most of the sites within the city that tourists generally want to visit. The large pass costs DKK 160 (~$24), and would enable you (for example) to travel to visit the likes of Frederiksborg Castle, Helsingor and the Louisiana Museum of Modern Art, should you so choose...

Not sure I'd call that expensive...

On 10/19/2019 at 8:22 AM, IsanTom said:

My wife and I are ending a cruise in May 2020 and we would like to rent an apartment for a week. We don't mind staying in the suburbs and commuting into the city by train

to lower costs. Can someone recommend what areas we should stay and commute near a train station?

If you are staying for a week depending on what you plan to do the Copenhagen Card might be worth your while, depending on what things you plan to do. It includes all transportation in all zones. It isn’t cheap, but if the attractions are things you want to do it might be worth your while.  

https://copenhagencard.com/