Barcelona Demonstrations

sabrefan

3 hours ago, sabrefan said:

Read about demonstrations in Barcelona and some injuries. Just wondering if this impacting cruise stops in Barcelona?

Does not look good.  Check out CC Ports of Call,  Europe, Spain.   A lot of info including pictures.  Been going on for a week or so.  

Checked with my hotel in Barcelona yesterday (we arrive late Saturday night/early Sunday morning).  They said they were not a problem.  Ditto with the U.S. Embassy's Travel Advisory program.  

https://es.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/security-and-travel-information/demonstrations-in-spain/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Traveling Fools said:

Checked with my hotel in Barcelona yesterday (we arrive late Saturday night/early Sunday morning).  They said they were not a problem.  Ditto with the U.S. Embassy's Travel Advisory program.  

https://es.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/security-and-travel-information/demonstrations-in-spain/

Good news

4 hours ago, Traveling Fools said:

Can you post how it looks when you get there? We shall be at Hotel Jazz shortly.

Several years ago we were there during student strikes protesting college tuition.  We ended up in the middle of it but they were definitely not violent.  I realize this isn't exactly comparable to what is going on now ... but perhaps it is. 

The question about is this affecting cruise stops seems appropriate!  I'd love to know the answer to that one.

Mura 

1 hour ago, Mura said:

Several years ago we were there during student strikes protesting college tuition.  We ended up in the middle of it but they were definitely not violent.  I realize this isn't exactly comparable to what is going on now ... but perhaps it is. 

The question about is this affecting cruise stops seems appropriate!  I'd love to know the answer to that one.

Mura 

I know nothing about the cruise port in Barcelona but it would seem odd to demonstrate in an out of the way area.  We were in Istanbul a few years ago and there were demonstrations in a particular area. We just didn't go there.  And the state department notices IMO err on the side of caution.

In our case -- admittedly not today's case -- we were definitely in the tourist area.  We were walking back from the Palau Theater to our hotel, crossing through Plaza Catalunya.  As I said, no threats -- just many crowds!  From what I've read the protests these days are more political than the ones we experienced, and so could be more ... well ... difficult.

• Like 1

We get a lot of news on the TV concerning Barcelona in Belgium.  I'm also interested in this news as we will be staying in Barcelona before boarding Sirena on the 6 th November.   

During the day there doesn't seem to be many problems, most of the protest seems to be non violent, but at night sometimes other people (nobody seems really certain who these people are) come out on the street and set garbagebins etc. on fire and throw up blockades on the street (and police reacts).  

During the day you should be OK but during the evening and night you have to be careful.

The elections will only be held on the 10 th of november so before this date there will probably still be protests, just hope they will be non violent as they usually used to be in the past.

• Like 1