Travel insurance

Question about travel insurance.  In the three RC cruises we've taken, we have always taken the insurance that the cruise line offers.  I see that other of you use Allianz.  Can you give me your opinions of why one over the other?  And we don't travel enough to make an annual plan worthwhile.

I searched this forum unsuccessfully before asking.

Thank you for your thoughts.

Royal's insurance has insufficient coverage for emergency evac and medical, in our opinion.  However, it can be less expensive for older cruisers as the premiums are not age based, plus Royal's insurance does have a "cancel for any reason" portion that pays 75% of the cruise fare in a future cruise credit if cancelling for a non-covered reason.

Royal's insurance also does not cover independently booked air.

• Like 2

I think it's because the cruise line offers very low amount of medical insurance.  If you have medical insurance that covers you out of the country with evacuation coverage the I would think the cruise line insurance would be adequate.

• Like 2

The plus of the cruise line offered insurance, is they do not underwrite for age.  So for older people, it can mean a substantially lower price.  And it tends to include cancel for any reason coverage.

But there typically are much lower limits for medical and med evac coverage.  So you might want to have a separate med evac policy (MedJet or similar) if you are going to be very far from home.

The cruise line insurance IS through an insurance company, it is not administered by the cruise line, just sold through them.

For 3rd party insurance, for younger, it can be substantially less expensive.  And with higher coverage limits.  But may be more restrictive on pre-exisiting condition coverage and rules for booking with cancel for any reason coverage.

Shop around  and compare both options.

For 3rd party insurance try:

www.tripinsurancestore.com

www.insuremytrip.com

• Like 2

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/499-cruisetravel-insurance/

Above is a link to the insurance board here on cruise critic. Read thru it and you'll know more about travel insurance than you ever wanted.

Advantage of Cruise line insurance is that it's not aged based and that the price includes Cancel For Any Reason

Disadvantage would be price (if younger) but also has low medical maximum and low evacuation.

I always recommend either www.tripinsurancestore.com or www.insuremytrip.com

edit. SRF and I were typing at the same time I see.

Edited by klfrodo
  • Like 2

Speaking of pre-existing conditions, I believe Royal's coverage is more restrictive.  They have a 60-day lookback period for medical conditions, where seeing a doctor about a condition during that period makes that condition non-covered.  Other policies require the insurance be purchased within some short time period (I've seen 10 days) of the initial vacation booking to cover all conditions.

Be aware that if you don't need pre-existing conditions covered, or Cancel For Any Reason, you don't HAVE to cover the costs of the entire trip to receive medical coverage and evacuation coverage.

I insure my trips for $500 per person and I only pay about $35 for insurance.

I can eat the cost of the cruise if need be. I can't absorb the costs of medical and/or evac.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

Be aware that if you don't need pre-existing conditions covered, or Cancel For Any Reason, you don't HAVE to cover the costs of the entire trip to receive medical coverage and evacuation coverage.

I can eat the cost of the cruise if need be. I can't absorb the costs of medical and/or evac.

I use $0 for cruise cost and pay $32 per trip for coverage.

Same reasoning, I can eat the cost of the cruise (budgeted and paid for), but 10s of thousands in medical and evac would NOT be fun to cover.

My Mother was med evaced from Halifax to DC.  The quote was $29,000.  The insurance (purchased through RCI) negotiated it down to $25k, which was the coverage limit.

• Like 1

Start by looking at the costs of the risks that would be most devastating financially.  For most people that would be the costs of an evacuation off the ship.  They do have policies just for the evacuation and medical coverage out there.  Then

you can see if it's worthwhile to get a policy that includes trip cancellation/delay/interruption.  Typically the financial outlay of a loss for cancellation is just limited to the cost of your cruise and any other pre-paid expenses that you lose.  The more money you shelled out for the cruise and prepaid things, the bigger financial hit you would take if you walked away. Trip interruption can be more costly because there may be costs incurred for last minute flights and accommodations if you have a covered event that triggers the loss (for example a death of an immediate family member back home).

A standalone policy can cover the entire trip from the time you leave your house to the time you return.  The cruiseline insurance typically is only insuring the cruise portion.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

Who do you go thru?   I am with you that my biggest concern would be medical expenses. My credit card will cover the cost of the cruise but not the medical expenses. 

Thank you for all the responses.  You have given me a starting point to research more.

Another question---If I book a cruise today for 2021, do I have time to add insurance?  I would add within the next few days but want to research a little more.

Edited by breezy_carol

14 minutes ago, breezy_carol said:

Thank you for all the responses.  You have given me a starting point to research more.

Another question---If I book a cruise today for 2021, do I have time to add insurance?  I would add within the next few days but want to research a little more.

If you want pre-existing condition coverage from third party insurers, you would have to add insurance within some short time (differs by company) of the initial booking.  Some are 10 days, some are less.  Check with the insurance company.

2 hours ago, SRF said:

I use $0 for cruise cost and pay $32 per trip for coverage.

I think you'll find there is no price difference in cost of insurance if you put trip cost at $0 or $500. $501 would be a price jump.

I put $500 because,,, well,, why not if there's no price difference. If there's a flight change fee or an extra night hotel, at least I could get that back with no additional costs (if a covered event of course)

Cruise insurance is based on your individual needs.  You need to examine each policy as to coverage and price. 

Items like age, pre-existing conditions, existing coverage either private or through Medicare play strongly

in your choice.  Also, medical and evacuation coverages can be primary or secondary as to payment.

I personally never take cruise line insurance since the coverage levels don't fit my needs.  Also, it's nice

to have a 75% future cruise credit for cancel for any reason but you are still out 75% of the price  until you go on

another cruise to apply it.  Plus the cost of the insurance.  Personally, I would rather have the money back in

my pocket and plan another cruise as I see fit.

I use insuremytrip to purchase what I need.  Just purchased a policy with IMF Travel Insured.  Was within 20 days

after initial cruise deposit to have pre existing conditions coverage, the medical and evac coverages were

what I felt comfortable with,  and the policy can be cancelled within 14 days.  Plus the cost was reasonable for me.

Others use different companies and agents based on their needs.  True, policies are more expensive

based on age, but conditions also become greater with age to have to use it.

If you are comfortable with the coverages of cruise line insurance, by all means stay with it.

In the final analysis, it's all a crap shoot.  Maybe you will need to use it, maybe not.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bee Guy said:

Is an annual policy available and cost effective for frequent cruisers, or is it best just to buy a policy for each cruise?   

Depends on your needs.

Some people do have annual policies like Geoblue however it is limited to XX number of days of travel. It's also limited by what State you live in. I cannot purchase this policy since I reside in Washington State. Each State has an Insurance Commissioner who regulates the insurance industry for their citizens.

1 hour ago, Bee Guy said:

Is an annual policy available and cost effective for frequent cruisers, or is it best just to buy a policy for each cruise?   

The evacuation and repatriation coverage is the key cost to cover

I paid $235 for an annual UHC safe-trip with $250 deductible and 1M in evacuation and repatriation, UHC is also my primary Medicare advantage carrier so I hope if there is a dispute either the left or right pocket pays it.

17 hours ago, klfrodo said:

I think you'll find there is no price difference in cost of insurance if you put trip cost at $0 or $500. $501 would be a price jump.

I put $500 because,,, well,, why not if there's no price difference. If there's a flight change fee or an extra night hotel, at least I could get that back with no additional costs (if a covered event of course)

I will have to try that.

If I could get a few bucks, it would make be great.

OK< I just checked, and that does not work that way for me.

$0 trip cost is $32. 

$500 trip cost is $35 (which is not much extra). 

$250 trip cost is $34.  

$1000 trip cost is $53

BTW, $500 is the break point.  $501 jumps it to $53.

This is through Travel Insured, but via USAA portal (different plans and rates).

Edited by SRF

21 minutes ago, SRF said:

I will have to try that.

If I could get a few bucks, it would make be great.

OK< I just checked, and that does not work that way for me.

$0 trip cost is $32. 

$500 trip cost is $35 (which is not much extra). 

$250 trip cost is $34.  

$1000 trip cost is $53

BTW, $500 is the break point.  $501 jumps it to $53.

This is through Travel Insured, but via USAA portal (different plans and rates).

Very interesting.

I think my last insurance was with Travel Insured also. I get there through the TripInsuranceStore portal.

I wonder if that pricing model is one of those differences determined by individual states of residency.

We are from the UK and have an annual travel policy for world wide cover. We are both over 80 and I have an existing medical condition.

The cost is just under £500.00 for both of us. Policy document is 12 pages. Cover is £10 million medical, flight delay or cancellation, loss of baggage Hijack etc.

Seems much better than RCLs.

I always purchased travel insurance thru the RCI.    Never thought of pricing up thru other companies.    I was pricing up some options and looks like an annual policy thru GeoBlue Trekker is a great option for medical/RX/Evac for those with pre-existing conditions.     Has anyone have a good or bad experience with GeoBlue Trekker annual policy?

I am Not worried about trip cancellation fees as my Amex and Chase card both offer travel protection for airfare, luggage, cancellation fees, etc.   My major concern is having a medical problem as my DH has some medical issues and most travel insurance companies will not cover if there are pre-existing conditions.

We are booked on 6 cruises (so far) for 2020 and 2 of them are abroad where the travel insurance is $260 for 8 night cruise so the annual policy seems to be the way to go.

Thoughts or review of GeoBlue

Thank you!

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Has anyone have a good or bad experience with GeoBlue Trekker annual policy?

Check out this board

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/499-cruisetravel-insurance/

and look for Hank. His screen name is Hlitner. Hank is very familiar with Geoblue. He also worked in the medical insurance industry in some capacity in his pre-retired life. On one of his threads he actually had a bad experience in either Vietnam or Japan and his experience along with help from Geoblue got him through it.

Travel insurance for medical is especially important if you are on Medicare from the US. Medicare part A, B, and D will not cover services on any cruise ship or port that is more then 6 hrs from the US. Some medicare advantage plans may have more extensive coverage so they need to be evaluated separately. https://www.medicare.gov/Pubs/pdf/11037-Medicare-Coverage-Outside-United-Stat.pdf

Advantage plans: https://medicarepartc.com/medicare-advantage-traveling/

Mike