Boston Suggestions

cruiselovin'girl

4 hours ago, cruiselovin'girl said:

Hello,

We will be cruising with a port stop in Boston next year. I've been there many years ago but I'm looking for something we can do ourselves. Any suggestions?

HOHO bus or trolley tour? Which is better?

TIA,

Pam

4 hours ago, cruiselovin'girl said:

Hello,

We will be cruising with a port stop in Boston next year. I've been there many years ago but I'm looking for something we can do ourselves. Any suggestions?

TIA,

Pam

The “HOHO” buses are trolleys.  The streets in downtown Boston tend to be narrow, congested, and one way and large buses don’t fit well. Even the trolleys don’t fit well on the smaller streets.  Old Town Trolley has a connector trolley that picks up cruisers at the port.  If you book through the cruise line be sure you are getting a true Hoho bus where you can actually hop on and off and not just an hour 40 minute ride on a Hoho trolley.

If you’re interested in the Freedom Trail, what I recommend is taking a cab to the Constitution, the MBTA water taxi back to Long Wharf, walking along the waterfront into the North End, and walking the trail backwards to the Boston Common. At Park St you can get the MBTA Red Line to South Station for a free transfer to the Silver Line SL2 bus back to the cruise terminal.

Do some research and post back with questions.

We were in Boston on a port call last month. Been there before. This time, we went to the John F. Kennedy Presidential Library and Museum. It’s very well done.  Easy cab or Uber ride over. (You can take public transportation, but it involves connections and, from what I’ve read here, can take about an hour each way.)

• 2 months later...
On 10/22/2019 at 4:05 AM, Turtles06 said:

We were in Boston on a port call last month. Been there before. This time, we went to the John F. Kennedy Presidential Library and Museum. It’s very well done.  Easy cab or Uber ride over. (You can take public transportation, but it involves connections and, from what I’ve read here, can take about an hour each way.)

How long was the cab ride and what did it cost?

We were there a few years ago and took a ship tour.  I "think" I recall a table in the terminal where they were selling tickets for a shuttle to Quincy Market.  Is it still there?

Here is a link to the MBTA (aka The T) website. Use the Trip Planner to map out your trips via public transportation. www.mbta.com. The Silver Line (aka a bus) is free from the port into South Station where you can transfer (for free) to the Red Line (a subway).  If you want to take the Silver Line (SL2) from the port once you get off the ship walk around to the other side of the big white industrial building (the Boston Design Center) and look for a bus stop near the sign that says "23" (it's a big round sign).  This is where the bus come into the port area. You can board there and get a seat.  You will then go around the port (where you just walked from) but you won't need to deal with the crowd to get on the bus.

My favorite trip is to take the Red Line from South Station over the Charles River into Cambridge (get off at Harvard and see the campus).  The subway goes over the river and on a nice day the view of the city is spectacular.  Also if you are here in the summer make sure you take a ride on the Swan Boats (take the Silver line to the Red Line. Change to the Red Line toward Cambridge. Get off at Park Street Station and either walk thru the Common to the Public Garden or change to the Green Line outbound and get off at Arlington Station and walk to the Swan Boats in the Public Garden). For the Freedom Trail follow the above directions from 138 East. Enjoy Boston! It's a great city.

3 hours ago, 138east said:

The SL 2 Silver Line bus is not free from the Cruiseport.  It’s only free inbound from Logan Airport.  Fare is $2.90.

The SilverLine bus from the port was free in October when the AIDA ship was in. I took the bus. Maybe it varies or depends on the driver.  

On 10/21/2019 at 11:00 PM, cruiselovin'girl said:

Hello,

TIA,

Pam

If you’re healthy and can walk stay or get to the sea aquarium. From here you can walk to Fanuel Hall very tourist friendly. Our favorite area is Hanover st the north end Galeria Umberto has excellent food. Modern pastries for cannolis. Regena original pizza. Paul revere house museum. Boston Island harbor cruise is nearby. Sail loft restaurant has excellent clam chowder and lobster rolls. J hooks for lobster rolls. No Name restaurant for seafood chowder. Long walk to Boston public garden and swan boats. Original cheers bar. Cab ride to Fenway Park which has tours and of course games. Tasty burger right there has $10.00 special burger and fries and 16 pabst beer. Harpoon brewer beer hall and art museum on waterfront. Improv comedy on Hanover st great at night...

. Cash is king in the north end.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, cementhands said:

If you’re healthy and can walk stay or get to the sea aquarium. From here you can walk to Fanuel Hall very tourist friendly. Our favorite area is Hanover st the north end Galeria Umberto has excellent food. Modern pastries for cannolis. Regena original pizza. Paul revere house museum. Boston Island harbor cruise is nearby. Sail loft restaurant has excellent clam chowder and lobster rolls. J hooks for lobster rolls. No Name restaurant for seafood chowder. Long walk to Boston public garden and swan boats. Original cheers bar. Cab ride to Fenway Park which has tours and of course games. Tasty burger right there has $10.00 special burger and fries and 16 pabst beer. Harpoon brewer beer hall and art museum on waterfront. Improv comedy on Hanover st great at night...

. Cash is king in the north end.

Thanks for the information, Cementhands!! I'm definitely checking out the lobster rolls!! 🙂

I second getting a taxi over to the north end.  Italian restaurants galore.  

I also recommend doing the duck tour( bus tour around Boston then goes into the Charles river. Great way to see the city.  I think there’s a pick up location at the aquarium so that’s very close to get to a taxi to.  Check Groupon sometimes they have deals for the duck tour.   Don’t be fooled and do one of the cheaper ones.  This was a great tour.  Driver is so funny.

have a great cruise