Majesty Impressions

jwakeli

On board today, sailing 5 days.... so far quite an experience... our youngest son (4 years old) came down with a mighty bad fever about an our after boarding so rushed him down to the ship doctor... no word yet on cost but they were phenomenal, luckily I have pretty good health benefits at work and through my Visa that should cover it, just glad hes doing better (and not contagious so not confined to our cabin).

This is our 5th cruise on Royal and our Emerald promotion cruise, still a long ways off from Pinnacle but slowly but surely.

Our oceanviewroom was a GTY cabin, fairly happy with it, older ship so smaller room but nothing to complain about, still cozy.

Staff on board really seem to enjoy the ship.

Off to dinner, will post more later.

• Like 1

I was on Majesty earlier this month. I didn't love that the pool deck really combined kids and adults in one area. Generally though, it was a nice experience. There are a lot of spaces to hang out indoors and outdoors. Very nice staff.

Yeah, the cabins are kind of small but if I want to do one of its itineraries, I'd consider it again. It is a nice value. 

Sorry to hear about the illness.

13 hours ago, The Fun Researcher said:

This is only your fifth time on Royal and this will be your Emerald cruise? You must’ve had some extremely long cruises before this?  ... or been in suites for the other cruises.? 

Dan

I think I got my levels mixed up, what ever the next one after gold is is what I meant.

We were on Majesty during Dorian and had a great time.  Only thing we didn't like is we prefer the Solarium on Freedom class.  That's not a ding to the Majesty, just a preference.  Would like to get a large OV on decks 4-5-6 to cut out the elevator for many things, but we were on deck 9. 

The MDR seemed to always be hot for the second seating of dinner.  I mean we were largely "moist" by the end of dinner.

Really a great smaller ship.  If you look hard, you can see the age.  But, if you are on vacation and not looking for issues, its a might fine lady.

Pondering a visit to NOLA.

• Like 1

We were on Majesty last week (our 3rd time on her,) and had a great experience.   She has held up beautifully for a 26 year old ship.  Great crew, very good entertainment,  and wonderful overall experience. 

We were in an OV cabin and had the bed separated to give us a little more floor space.  Cabin space is tiny, but storage space is good.😉

Just spent two weeks on Majesty.

She does show her age in places and the cabins are small but she also has many great features like a Schooner Bar with ample windows to the sea, a large Boleros and the Viking Crown Lounge.  No broadway caliber shows but each week they had different acts come on board from comedians to magic shows to other headliner type shows that were quite enjoyable.  

The layout is little awkward until you get to know it.  Three sets of elevators but none of them visit the same sets of floors so you have to think a bit about where you are heading but after a few days it becomes second nature.   

The Captain is very visible around the ship and the crew were great everywhere.    

I could see booking her out of NOLA.  That itself is a great cruise port.  A cruise starts as a river cruise before reaching the Gulf in the dark.  In places you really sense how the Mississippi River is literally higher than the land. 

Edited by twangster
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, twangster said:

She does show her age in places and the cabins are small but she also has many great features like a Schooner Bar with ample windows to the sea, a large Boleros and the Viking Crown Lounge.  No broadway caliber shows but each week they had different acts come on board from comedians to magic shows to other headliner type shows that were quite enjoyable.  

The layout is little awkward until you get to know it.  Three sets of elevators but none of them visit the same sets of floors so you have to think a bit about where you are heading but after a few days it becomes second nature.   

I could see booking her out of NOLA.  That itself is a great cruise port.  A cruise starts as a river cruise before reaching the Gulf in the dark.  In places you really sense how the Mississippi River is literally higher than the land. 

I appreciate your post as well as your review with all the pictures.  We are booked in February out of NOLA.  It was a ridiculous deal for 7 nights.  Some other people have said 7 days would be too many on an older ship, but after looking at your review and a couple of YouTube videos, we thought it looked relaxing. 

On 10/24/2019 at 9:39 AM, patticakes40 said:

Glad to hear that you soon is doing better.  We will be sailing on the Majesty in December and was wondering if you could tell me who is playing in the Schooner Piano Bar on your cruise.

I believe Girl Named Jake is on Majesty now = I follow her on social media, and she recently posted that she's on MJ for a few weeks, and then moving over to Indy.  She's been on several of our cruises, and we love her!

On 10/24/2019 at 1:23 PM, shellunderwater said:

We were on Majesty during Dorian and had a great time.  Only thing we didn't like is we prefer the Solarium on Freedom class.  That's not a ding to the Majesty, just a preference.  Would like to get a large OV on decks 4-5-6 to cut out the elevator for many things, but we were on deck 9. 

The MDR seemed to always be hot for the second seating of dinner.  I mean we were largely "moist" by the end of dinner.

Really a great smaller ship.  If you look hard, you can see the age.  But, if you are on vacation and not looking for issues, its a might fine lady.

Pondering a visit to NOLA.

I was also on her during Dorian, and also disappointed in the pool deck -- mainly, the poor use of the available space in the shade.  There was room for a lot more loungers around the outer ring of the pool deck, under the sun deck above, that would have been useful for those who like loungers in the shade, in addition to just providing more lounger availability in general.

Another gripe about Majesty's use of space is the presence of ashtrays in front of the Pool Bar and the Sky Bar.  Fully half of those top two decks are already devoted to smokers... why also allow the center of the decks to be polluted?  

The MDR climate control must have been isolated, though -- I'm "fluffy" and have thyroid issues, but I wasn't at all uncomfortable in my section of the MDR.  Maybe they had some vents blocked/broken?

• Like 1

Glad to read this thread.  I'm considering going on Majesty Feb 2020, since pricing is unbelievable for a week!  Trying to talk a group of friends to go since leaving out of NOLA.  This ship reminds me of my first cruise experience, too bad no steel drums to sound like old time cruising, or are there?

36 minutes ago, Gennystravel said:

Glad to read this thread.  I'm considering going on Majesty Feb 2020, since pricing is unbelievable for a week!  Trying to talk a group of friends to go since leaving out of NOLA.  This ship reminds me of my first cruise experience, too bad no steel drums to sound like old time cruising, or are there?

No steel drums, but plenty of excellent live music around the ship and pool deck.🎶

On 10/25/2019 at 8:45 AM, twangster said:

I was wondering if the chat feature  and ordering drinks feature was working on the Majesty?  Trying to decide if we need an internet package to keep track of each other on the ship

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, MaryAnn261 said:

I was wondering if the chat feature  and ordering drinks feature was working on the Majesty?  Trying to decide if we need an internet package to keep track of each other on the ship

Chat is in testing phase on Allure and Harmony only.  They've alluded to ordering drinks in the app for a while now but it isn't available across the fleet either (including Majesty). 

Consequently you'll need another method to stay in touch on the ship.   

We took a 4 day on sister ship, Sovereign of the seas,  20 years ago. It was our first and we enjoyed it. Did not cruise again until 3 years ago, but have been on 7 since then and all on Carnival out of Nola. Love this thread. I trying to research as much as possible.

• Like 1

On 10/27/2019 at 5:07 PM, lauraapp said:

Anyone have any experience with front facing ocean view rooms on deck 6 and 7

We were in room 6000 in August.  Room was comparatively small and the window is more than 5 feet from the bed board wall.  The room was  very quiet from hallway noise but can be loud from the outside noise before arriving at port.

9 minutes ago, Dave33549 said:

We were in room 6000 in August.  Room was comparatively small and the window is more than 5 feet from the bed board wall.  The room was  very quiet from hallway noise but can be loud from the outside noise before arriving at port.

Was it bigger than other Oceanview rooms in the long halls.  Where was tv located?

it looks wider than other rooms.  I know all the rooms on Majesty are small.

This thread is bringing back great memories!  We were on Majesty in April.  It was by far the smallest ship we've been on in 15 years of cruising, but we chose it for the destination (Cuba) and didn't care what the ship was like.  We were pleasantly surprised!  The service was great, the entertainment was great, and the food was great.  It helped that we found videos of the cabins so we knew ahead of time how small they were (deck 2 inside cabin - basically a big closet), but it was quiet, comfortable, and our steward was awesome, so no complaints there.  Now that someone up-thread mentioned New Orleans, we're seriously thinking about another visit to Majesty.

• Like 1