Nieuw Statendam in Santorini

St Pete Cruiser

Holland America's newest and largest ship arrived here in Santorini this morning along with Celebrity's Edge, silver seas's wind and Crystal Serenity. Pretty rich company, but we are holding our heads high. Just finished the donkey trail walk to the top, so resting and posting. 

After walking up the donkey trail to Fira, we took the bus to Oia, which EXC guide Brett recommended. 

Weather has been sunny and warm, 27C, 80F. The breeze is nice. They use the shoreside tenders here which are nice.

Nieuw Statendam has been wonderful with great entertainment. David Copperfield, the comedian, did a show which I have seen on the older HAL ships.

The Orange Party was in the Queens Lounge, 2 story mid ship, and was packed.

Mario, our favorite matre'd, joined in Kotor. A 37 year veteran of cruise ship hospitality, most of which was with Chandris/Celebrity, he is so wonderful as he brings old Holland America to the new ship.

20191024_030429.jpg

20191024_054431.jpg

20191024_060658.jpg

20191024_055142.jpg

Great pics! We love  it there. We stayed in Santorini for a week after our cruise with HAL and Windstar and fell in love with the 

culture and of course the food!! A lot to do

and it is like a maze of fun walking everywhere! Seeing the ruins and the winery on your own is an adventure in itself.

Have a wonderful time.

Denise😊

9 minutes ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

Great pics! We love  it there. We stayed in Santorini for a week after our cruise with HAL and Windstar and fell in love with the 

culture and of course the food!! A lot to do

and it is like a maze of fun walking everywhere! Seeing the ruins and the winery on your own is an adventure in itself.

Have a wonderful time.

Denise😊

Thanks. We said we could stay for a week as well. Some ports you are ready to leave after a day.

• Like 1

The weather has been near perfect.  Sunny and 70's.  Shoreside people have told us last year at this time was cool and rainy, so we are indeed blessed.

At Ask the Captain today, it was stated the lifeboats on the Ryndam will retract rather than hang over, thus allowing it to go thru the Panama Canal.  Koningsdam is probably staying in the Pacific/Alaska for now since it can't go thru the canal after rounding the Horn this coming spring.

Celebrity Edge was in port with us yesterday; that lift on the side is unattractive and has given some problems according to one that we talked with.    

• Like 1

Thank you for the heads up on Ryndam!!

we loved the small Ryndam HAL has and had done many cruises on her before she was sold. It will be interesting IF the promenade deck just might be alittle better with the retractable lifeboats. If anything at least a better view of the ocean instead of it all or partially closed off due to how the lifeboats are on NS and Koningsdam. I still favor the Vista class and our R and S class.

sure hope your enjoying this wonderful cruise!

Denise😊

• Like 1

When we were there on the Nieuw Amsterdam, we were advised on board not to take the Donkey’s up as they are not well treated.   I was very impressed that HAL notified passages about this.  Since then I do know that the UK based Donkey Sanctuary is working with the local government in Santorini to improve the welfare.  To those of who visit there, please be aware and think twice about taking a donkey ride up!  If you would like information about the Santorini donkeys see link:

https://www.thedonkeysanctuary.org.uk/support-us/campaigns/santorini

43 minutes ago, Lunar Dragon said:

When we were there on the Nieuw Amsterdam, we were advised on board not to take the Donkey’s up as they are not well treated.   I was very impressed that HAL notified passages about this.  Since then I do know that the UK based Donkey Sanctuary is working with the local government in Santorini to improve the welfare.  To those of who visit there, please be aware and think twice about taking a donkey ride up!  If you would like information about the Santorini donkeys see link:

That is so true!!!!! I hope people read and understand about the donkeys!!! Since 2006 we have been going over and wether we do a ferry or a cruise we will walk the stairs up or down depending on the time of day! I do enjoy the cable car also. I believe those animals need not to be doing this type of labor. I am so glad HAL said that.

Denise😊

2 hours ago, Lunar Dragon said:

Thanks for sharing  this. I am an animal lover, and could tell the donkeys were not properly cared for. I'm glad we didn't ride them nor did we suggest anyone else to.

Santorini makes a great deal of income from cruise ships and doesn't need the "donkey" money.

• Like 1